Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:57 PM   #21

the sigma lens 18-55 f2.8-4.5 os maybe another lens option with for t1i and sigma 18-50 f2.8-4.5 os for the pentax k-x
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:58 PM   #22

If you saw, I ask if the op plans on anything else, as the op's post said this is a once in a lifetime trip. So it does not make sense to buy for just one event, when a dslr is an expensive purchase, and should look at what else the op will be using it for.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you saw, I ask if the op plans on anything else, as the op's post said this is a once in a lifetime trip. So it does not make sense to buy for just one event, when a dslr is an expensive purchase, and should look at what else the op will be using it for.
Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, this is exactly when she should buy something that will do well for just this event.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:16 PM   #24

That is really very tunnel visioned, as there is allot of living besides one event.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:30 PM   #25

Quote:
That is really very tunnel visioned, as there is allot of living besides one event.
This is the Pentax K-x we're talking about. The list of things it can't do well is pretty short. For everything else, after this event, she can compromise, or even sell it to buy something that might do some other once-in-a-liffetime thing very well. But for this once-in-a-lifetime event, buying something that might not do as well just because it might be better at something else later, is the real tunnel vision.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:35 PM   #26

I will not continue with this because I really do not want Mark, Hards or Jim to say calm down again. Also I really do not think this will help the OP and I do not like to tell people where to spend their money. I have my opinion to keep options open, you have your opinion of only using the extract tool for a specific situation. I respect your position. And I have said my piece to the op about mine. Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:16 PM   #27

After some investigation, I've found that the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 gets pretty dim pretty fast, and I think the OP will need all the aperture he or she can get. I think the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8 would be better choices than the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:23 PM   #28

I have to agree with Tcav here....a once in a lifetime trip. Mean you get ONE shot at it. The cost of the lens even if its just used here and sold for 1/2 price is way cheaper then the cost of the trip.

The memories..will be take'n to the 'Happy Vale' home and a slide show for the gang will be worth every penny.

One thing I am realizing, looking at photos here even...I am receiving the opportunity to see something...be somewhere..that I would otherwise not be able to.

The OP may like to be the person to show another claustrophobic person what its like be be inside a cave (and not experience fear..)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:27 PM   #29

Question for the OP,

The caves you are going to, are you going down with more then 3 people. I presume you will all have cave lights with you. From personal experience at Lascaux, when I shot film. I found that a fast prime was a good solution, as I had the people that went down with me high light the painting with their cave light as I shot it with a 50mm f1.4 or a 85mm f1.8. Not sure about the mexican cave you are going to, but form my experience the painting were not that out of reach. Seem that the painter were really small compare to modern man. So lens reach was not that big of an issue. If there are more the 3 people this solution works quite well. The more people with cave lights will also be big benefit for the zoom lenses mention.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Question for the OP,

The caves you are going to, are you going down with more then 3 people. I presume you will all have cave lights with you. From personal experience at Lascaux, when I shot film. I found that a fast prime was a good solution, as I had the people that went down with me high light the painting with their cave light as I shot it with a 50mm f1.4 or a 85mm f1.8. Not sure about the mexican cave you are going to, but form my experience the painting were not that out of reach. Seem that the painter were really small compare to modern man. So lens reach was not that big of an issue. If there are more the 3 people this solution works quite well. The more people with cave lights will also be big benefit for the zoom lenses mention.
Good point. Since you were shooting with film, the equivalent focal lengths on an APS-C dSLR would be ~30mm and ~50mm. A large aperture 50mm wouldn't be hard to find, but a large aperture ~30mm would be expensive all by itself.

I don't know how comfortable I'd be with changing lenses in a cave though.