Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:33 AM   #1

Default Your thoughts on 5D Mk2 purchase.

Hi All, I feel it's time for me to upgrade, after owning a 20D for about three years. I must say I've loved the 20D and took some great pics with it, but like most of you out there I've longed for a full frame camera. The obvious choice for me is the 5D Mk2, although the HD video facility doesn't excite me much, the high ISO capabilities certainly do. I already have a 24 - 105L and 70 - 200 IS 2.8L lens, so I know they would be a good pairing. The bottom line is, do you think I would be going over the top with this body, when I am just an enthusiastic amateur who takes pics just for fun, and would hardly ever receive any income from my hobby? Would I notice much improvement than if I got a wide efs lens to match the 20D?
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:50 AM   #2

The 20d is a fine camera - I shot with one for years. But of course the 5dII is a better camera. The viewfinder and LCD alone will have you jumping for joy. The high ISO performance will be about a 2 stop advantage over what the 20d gives you. Picture quality will be an improvement with the better sensor and digic IV. You'll have better dynamic range. And the advantage for shallow DOF photography.

So, there's no doubt a newer camera will be an improvement. AND you've got some great lenses to pair with the 5dII so you can buy the body only.

The only caveat being - if, for some reason, you were more interested in sports and wildlife - then the 7d would be the better option because of the focus system and FPS. But if sports/wildlife aren't your thing than the 5dII would definitely be a huge upgrade from your 20d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

well john pretty much covered my thoughts on the subject. its a fabulous camera, and represents an ideal camera for myself as well, once i can afford it.

i see no reason why an enthusiastic amateur should not have the equipment they want. the only constrain is budget, if your budget can afford a 5dmkii, then why not have the camera you want?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if your budget can afford a 5dmkii, then why not have the camera you want?
I will whole heartedly agree with what has already been said.

As for this quote, I'm fortunate to have both the 5D mkII and 7D and can say they are both great for differing needs. Ultimate quality I grab the 5DmkII but for other day to day use the 7D comes out to play. As you have the 24-105 though I would really suggest putting that on the 5DmkII and having a great time shooting, it's a great combo.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:12 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Go for it. Buy the best equipment you can reasonably afford. It stops you worry about whether your pictures would get better if only you had a better camera. :-)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:21 PM   #6

Thanks for your convincing remarks fellows, I will treat myself and get one. I do a fair bit of sports, (mainly rugby league) and in fact I've got quite good at it, even making a few programme covers with good action shots. I could always just keep the 20D with it's 5FPS, which is almost fast enough for my needs, and take advantage of the 1.6 factor with the telephoto, and for what I'd probably get for it, it would be worth keeping for a good back up if ever I needed one. The 5D Mk2 of course would be for landscapes, street work at night, and portraits etc. Once again thanks for your help.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:25 PM   #7
Super Moderator

you know, if you do a fair bit of sports, especially to the point of making some covers. you may go ahead and have an extended look at the 7D before you make your final choice. you could always grab a nice ultrawide (like tokina's excellent 11-16 2.8) for the price difference between the 5dmkii and the 7d.

sorry if this adds back to the uncertainty
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Dropping the sports element in does open the door to the 7D again. It has a much better AF system than the 20D or 5DmkII and being able to work at 8fps is nice. It doesn't perform as well as the 1D mkIII though. Depending how much sports you do then it might be worth considering a 2nd hand 1D mkIII (not something I usually recommend), but only do so if you are getting a good warranty. For example here we can buy from Canon fully reconditioned with a 1 year warranty so you are safe. I'm spoiled as I have all 3 of these options in my kit so can grab what I fancy at the time.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:40 AM   #9

The main reason the 5D excites me is, I went to the start of the 2009 Clipper round the world yacht race and an old friend of mine was there with his 5D1 (24 - 105L). I had a few go's with it and to be honest I was hooked, it was just like looking through my old A1, he showed me the results and they were very good. I suppose I could get the 7D as well, but that would be definately going over the top I'm afraid, so my mind is made up, it's the Mk2.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:04 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I would suggest looking through the viewfinder of the 7D as it is very different to any previous APS-C Canons, it is big and bright and just to make sure you are aware the AF on the 5D2 isn't as good as the 7D but it is better than the 20D.

I don't want to push you either way as they are both lovely cameras with slightly different market. Certainly for quality the 5D2 is the best, there is no argument and it is quite noticeably better. I wasn't suggesting you got the 7D as well who would be crazy enough to do that lol