Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Canon XSI Accessories

Looking for a companion manual to go with my newly pruchased XSI(Excited) looked on amazon and there are several. What are the recommendations of the experts since I am a greenhorn.
Also looking for a bag to carry camera one lens and accessories. Suggestions???? Looking at a Canon 2400 but will it be good for travel and vacation. Thanks
powelldb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I would suggest the magic lantern guide first
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-...3235489&sr=8-1

that should be a good start. then you may consider a more general photography book as well.

and of course the internet is a great resource. there are a ton of guides/videos everywhere.
http://www.dslrtips.com/ is a good start

and of course we are always here to answer your questions and critique and give you suggestions on your photos.

i would take a look at the crumpler 4 or 5 million dollar home for a camera bag. they are well constructed and have the advantage of not looking like a camera bag.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:26 PM   #3

a remote shutter release cable or wireless is up to you and an extra battery is always good to have. If you like doing landscape, a circular polarizer is a very nice thing to have to bring out the blue in the sky. And a ND filters is alway good for warming the shot. A good tripod or monopole is a good thing to have. Also a good external flash for night shots.

I like the tarmac bag, they are nice. But anything form lowepro, tarmac, kata, or crumpler are alway good. The canon bag you mention is a good bag but you may also want to look at a smaller bag as a walk around bag. The 2400, you can pack the camera with a lens on, 2 additional lenses, external flash, and a bunch of filters. Great for trips, but a tad big for walking around.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:14 PM   #4

again thanks for the information. All are forthcoming with informationa nd willing to help out.
Has anyone had any dealing with Tamrac 5534 messanger bags?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:21 PM   #5

It was one of the tarmac bags I was looking at before I went with the tarmac velocity, it is like the canon 2400. It is a big bag for lens on camera, 2 additional lenses, and external flash. Also room for filters and clean kit.

The nice thing about the aftermarket brands over say the canon brand is. It does not advertise camera bag as much as the big canon name.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:03 PM   #6

A set of 3 filters: UV, ND and Polarizer, lens hood, spare battery, 50mm f'1.8 II lens for portraits, external flash and a camera which is big enough for 2 lenses and a flash. Pretty much what shoturtle had suggested!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #7

I agree with everything except the UV filter. If you want to lens protector go with a clear or Haze 1 filter instead. The UV degrades the shots, and serves no purpose. It is a important filter for film but not for digital. I have notice it adds a bit of yellow tint to photos.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8

Looks like I am going to go with the Tamrac 5534 messanger bag. PLease remenber that this question is coming from a newbie. What are the advantages to a lens hood and filters? Are they really necessary for someoone that is just starting out? Opinions??
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Super Moderator

you can do without the filters right now.

but a lens hood is quite important. it cuts flare, greatly improving image quality, and also serves as a nice protection when you don't have the lens cap on.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:08 AM   #10

I agree with Hards, get the hood, hold off on the filters. If you want to save some money check out ebay for the hoods. They are 1/10 the price of the oem canon ones and 1/5 the price of aftermarket one from the stores. Which lenses do you have?

The tamrac is a good bag.