Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Which camera to buy in India.

Hello to you all,

I am from india and i want to know which camera to buy.My budget is very tight so help me. I have narrowed it to

1. Nikon S220
2. Sony W180
3. Samsung PL55 (SL502 model in america)

please help me as i am buying digicam for the first time and i am going to use it for personnel use only.
ra_bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

Unfortunately those are somewhat outdated cameras, are there no more choices than just those three?

Have a great day. We look forward to discussing a camera choice with you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:44 AM   #3

how much is your budget, accordingly i can suggest you an option
antriksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:12 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum, -antriksh-

We're pleased that you dropped by.

Well, until Mr. Bunty give us a budget and a list of the cameras that are available in his province in India, we muat wait.

Is there anything that I can help you with, today. Please just post a question when you are ready. Otherwise, have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5

hi sarah, thanks for the welcome

I am also from India, and am planning to buy my first camera.
I have been using a mobile phone camera (Sony Cybershot K790) before this. I have a newly developed interest in photography and hence planning to buy a proper camera now.
But I am unable to decide between the Canon S90 or the Rebel T1i. The S90 offers a lot of manual controls if one wants to learn and is also very portable, but am confused whether to buy it or to go for a DSLR like the T1i as my first camera.
My main interests are in Landscape and Night photography.

Can you please suggest an option among these....

Thanks.
antriksh
antriksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:28 PM   #6

antriksh-

Its all a matter of portability. A T-1 kit can become rather large and weighty, especially when extra lenses are added to the kit. So answer that question will be step #1.

The S-90, although limited in its zoom is a very good camera. If you need more zoom the SX-200 is another good choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:00 PM   #7

Antriksh,

If night photography is a interest, the DSLR will give you better results. Due to the larger sensor, and better ISO performance. The T1i is a very good low light camera, with allot of room for growth. It is only one of 2 camera's in it's class that has a 12800 iso. And with the abilities to add a fast prime lens. It will add to the low light performance.

Also if you do dwell further into photography. The DSLR will grow with you. And will allow you to do more then a bridge camera or point and shoot. This is especially true with the T1i as it is a high end "entry level" dslr. Packed of performance.

But if you are unsure weather you want to go deeper into photography, or weather you are unsure weather you want to commit to the price of a dslr system. As it can get quite pricey over time. A good bridge camera will let you develop the basic skill as a photographer. And you can consider weather you want to get deeper into photography where a dslr will be needed.

The s90 is nice camera, but also consider G11, G10 SX1IS or SX20IS would be a bit better.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:40 PM   #8

I am sorry for not repying earlier as i was out of town.Anyway my budget is 200$.I would like to buy a camera which is easy to use,carry and fit my budget.
I am also looking at Sony W210,220 as my other options.I don't now if they are available in your market or not.
ra_bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:04 AM   #9

ra_bunty-

The Sony W-210 and W-220 are capable cameras that should serve you well. However, they are older cameras that have just about disappeared from our market. Either would be a good choice. The W-220 has the larger battery, giving it an added 30% more shot before have to be re-charged and the Super Steady Shot IS system. The makes the W-220 the more preferred camer of the two. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce