Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:11 AM   #1

Default Considering Switching from Nikon to Canon

Okay I am thinking really hard about switching from Nikon to Canon to take advantage of the good lenses at reasonable prices. I really don't have that much invested in my Nikon gear and I was wondering if any of the Canon users think I would be able to pickup a new Canon 50D with a kit lens if I sold or traded the following equipment.

Thanks
dbnorton
dbnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Where are you finding your Nikon kit to be limiting? If better results at higher ISO speeds are important, you may want to look into a D90, D300 or D300s instead of your D80.

As for lenses, that depends on what you want to shoot. Nikon has some great lenses in a variety of focal lengths and types, too (as do third party manufacturers that have lenses available for both mounts).

I guess the system that works best for you would depend on your specific needs. So, to get better responses from members that use these systems, I'd probably go into more detail on why you think the 50D would be a good choice, along with the lenses you're considering, what you want to shoot, etc. (and why your existing system is limiting you in that area).

Also, keep in mind that manufacturers tend to "leap frog" each other on a regular basis in some areas. IOW, you may find a lens or body you like better from Canon now, but may find something you like better from Nikon later (and vice-versa). :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:39 AM   #3
Super Moderator

What sort of shooting do you do and what areas are you struggling with?

Nikon has the best flash system and some very good lenses and as Jim says you can get some great 3rd party lenses for both brands. Changing a system is a good way to lose money (I used to use Konica Minolta and switched to Canon so know that it can hurt) so unless there are massive gains don't do it. Yes you are reading correctly I'm a Canon user, but I'm not a brand snob and would rather give the best advice rather than just say buy Canon as I know they have limitations the same as all other brands.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:44 AM   #4
Administrator

BTW, we do not allow the forums to be used for selling or trading of gear between members.

I will sometimes remove posts listing what gear is for sale or trade for that reason (as these are often thinly disguised posts intended to solicit offers more than anything else).

Otherwise, we'd have scammers posting, companies pretending to be individuals, hard feelings between members when deals go bad, etc. We don't want the forums to turn into a big online flea market. ;-)

So, I've removed the specific gear you're thinking of selling for that reason.

Even if that was not your intent, that list you posted could give that appearance to members (especially given specific conditions for items listed, etc.), and it's not fair to others that may want to try and do the same thing by leaving it. If you want to see what it's worth and what comparable Canon gear is selling for, I'd check popular vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com, http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.adorama.com (as well as listings on Ebay).

For determining if a Canon solution would be better, I'd give members more information on where your existing equipment is holding you back and what Canon gear you're considering instead so that members can let you know if that would be a good solution for what you're trying to shoot and the conditions you plan on shooting in.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses, and I guess what I am trying to say is I like my camera and I enjoy shooting with it but I am trying to do quite a bit of waterfowl photography and I am having a really hard time finding a lens that really suites my shooting environment. I think my best bet would be to research some of the 3rd party lens and being the Nikon lenses are just a little to far out of my budget.

Thanks
dnorton
dbnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:31 AM   #6
Administrator

The "Bigma" (a nickname for the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM) is a popular lens for that purpose. So, you may want to take a look at it. It's available in a variety of camera mounts including for Nikon and Canon models.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:31 AM   #7

I would suggest looking into the Sigma 50-500 (aka Bigma). It's a quite popular wildlife lens for around $1100.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:32 AM   #8

I see Jim and I are on the same wavelength today
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Super Moderator

i am going to hitch a ride on this wavelength as well. I don't think there is anything that you can'd do with a Nikon system that you can with a Canon, overall the lines compare quite well.

I suggest taking a look at the Bigma as well, its a terrific value for a long lens, and focuses fast and pretty sharp throughout.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote