Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Default G11 or SX1 or SX20 or SX120 or SD90...

Hello all! I'm looking to upgrade my A570 IS to something a little more. Honestly, I still like my 570 for family events but would like better low-light photos and a stronger zoom. Perhaps I should try an add-on lens? How well does that work for this type of camera?

Wants, in order of preferance: good low-light performance, strong zoom, AA battery, pocket sized(?)

How close can I get to that?

Can you tell I am fond of Canon? What else should I look at?

Thanks for your patience with these rookie questions.

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well the closest you can get to that is the s90 as it performs well in low-light and is pocket-sized. the zoom is a moderate, but useful 28-105.

the G11 gives you reach out to 140mm and the same low-light performance, but it is far from pocket-size
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:39 PM   #3

You need to remember that on the low light shots. That you will get decent shots when you are close to your subject. But as you get further away, it will degrade with all the compact cameras and bridge camera. So that you do not have over expectations of the G11 and the S90, they are very good camera.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:22 PM   #4

Thanks! Is low-light performance a factor of the sensor size or the pixel density? I realize they are related, but my Canon A570 has a 1/2.5" sensor for a 7mp camera, yielding 29MP/cm2. The much newer cameras with a 1/2.3" sensor packing a 10-12mp resolution have higher densities yet, yielding 35-43MP/cm2. Only the G11 and S90 best my A570 from a density standpoint at 23MP/cm2.

In other words, to get better low light performance as compared to my A570 do I look for a bigger sensor (many cameras) or lower pixel density (only the G11 or S90)? If the latter is true, can I get better low light performance by reducing the resolution of shots in low light conditions (i.e. turn it down to 5mp instead of 10mp for certain shots on the same camera?).
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

pixel density is certainly a very important factor, and is the reason why many of the 14-15mp digicams do so poorly at high-ISO/low-light situations.

however there is more to it than just pixel density. including the technology that goes into the sensor itself, and very important the image processors. the newer, better image processors can reduce noise without sacrificing detail.

the s90/g11 do well because they have a low pixel density / high sensitivity sensor combined with a modern, good image processor.

turning down the resolution usually does not help most digicams. (the exception is the EXR technology from Fuji, but that uses a different sensor technology than most)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:28 PM   #6

It has to do more with sensor size, A dslr with an aps-c sensor will be better then a 4/3 sensor both having 14mp. Like the pentax k-x compare to the olympus e620. Both have around the same mp. But the advantage of the larger sensor gives the pentax a clear edge at iso of over 800.

While the D5000 has less mp then the k-x with the same size sensor of aps-c. The k-x seems to have better low light imagine then the d5000 at 6400 iso.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:45 PM   #7

iowa-jim-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you drop by.

The biggest issue is imager size. The G-11or S-90, they both use the same imager, which is a larger imager that has better low light capabilities due to both the larger imager size, and the lower pixel density of the imager. So issue affect low light performance particularly in digicams.

DSLR cameras have much better low light level capability due to their much, much, larger imager size and secondarily due to the reduced pixel density. Reducing the resolution will not improve low light level performance.

It would be very helpful if we knew you budget for this new camera purchase. Typical Canon cameras that have substantial zoom are the SX-120, the SX-200, and the SX-20 in the digicam category. Please re-think your requirement for battery power from AA sized batteries, as that too, will limit your camera choices.

Camera other than Canon that have substantial zoom and low light performance would be the Fuji F-70EXR with 10X optical zoom, and the Fuji S-200EXR has 14.3X optical zoom, for example. However, the learning curve on the new EXR system is rather steep, and that might be a consideration. The Panasonic ZS-1/ZS-3 has 12X optical zoom. The Panasonic ZR-1 has 8X optical zoom and the Panasonic FZ-35 has 18X optical zoom.

The Kodak Z-980/Z-981, the Pentax X-70, and the Nikon P-90 have 24X optical zoom, the Olympus SP-590 has 26X optical zoom. The Sony H-20 has 10X optical zoom, The Sony H-50 has 15X optical zoom. The Sony HX-1 has 20X optical zoom. And that is only a partial list of large zoom cameras available in today's market place.

Please give us a budget, and a decision to stay with the Canon Brand or to look at other cameras, Jim. Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:58 PM   #8

Thanks for bringing me out of the low-light! For the difference in size I think the S90 is the only way to go for my needs - I'll give up a little bit of zoom to keep the camera in my shirt pocket. The f2.0 on the S90 is another bonus in low-light performance, I'm guessing.

The final question would be what other models give the S90 a run for the title?

Thanks again for the help!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:59 PM   #9

I should say, from other manufacturers?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:19 PM   #10

Thanks Sarah! I posted before I saw your response, but you were reading my mind already. I'd like to keep this under $500. Low-light performance has to be my biggest concern, not to shoot by candlelight but to get good shots / video of the kids' school programs, etc. My A570 took better low-light video than my panasonic camcorder, so I've known for awhile the concern but not so much about how to make the correct selection (thanks for the help there, everybody!).

I'll take a look at the models you've suggested. Thanks!