Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:01 PM   #1

Default looking for a camaera

hi folks,

yesterday i've sold my brand new casio exilim H-10 camera because i was not satisfied. i'm visiting a lot of concerts dark places on stage and festivals, so i'm looking for a camera wich makes less noise pictures. i know it is not so simple but i've going crazy of all the reviews and i don't know which camera i must buy. panasonic tz 6 or canon powershot sx 200 or panasonic dmc fz28 or canon powershot sx 20is.

please help.
bean69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

none of them will work very well in dark places.

really, a dslr with a bright lens is the best bet.

in the compact market, you will have to spend some extra money for a Canon S90/G11 or to a lesser extent the Panny LX3.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:35 PM   #3

on the concert thing, you may also need a longer zoom, and only a DSLR can give you the bright lens option and long zoom. The G11 and S90 may be a bit short if you are not up close to the stage.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:41 PM   #4

Lots of concert venues don't allow dSLRs. That's why I bought a micro 4/3rds camera, the Olympus E-P1. It uses their dSLR sensor, but in a small package that looks like a point and shoot. Pair it with the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and it's a nice concert package if you get close to the stage.

If not, you can add adapters and add longer lenses, but then you run into the same potential restrictions.

BTW, I have the Canon G9, and it doesn't come close to matching the Olympus in terms of low light capability. In good light, it's a great camera.

Here are the B52s from the second row using the Olympus E-P1 and the 17mm lens.

Here's the same show with the Olympus E-P1 and an old Pentax manual 50mm f/1.7 lens.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:59 PM   #5

I am considering getting the EP-2 in March April timeframe. Like the smaller size for travel. Nice to see it is pretty good in low light.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I am considering getting the EP-2 in March April timeframe. Like the smaller size for travel. Nice to see it is pretty good in low light.
I've read that the E-P1 is better than the GF1 in low light, but I think part of that is processing, and part of it is how each company figures ISO. I think Olympus may fudge a little high, and Panasonic a little low. Since it's basically the same sensor, you'd think they'd be similar.

All that said, I really love the look and feel of the Oly. It's just a fun camera to use. Try out the AF first, though. Lots of people complain about it, though I never found it to be a problem. I'm not trying to use it for lots of action, and it's always locked an accurate focus for me, regardless of how dim. It's just not fast autofocus.

The ability to use older manual lenses is really fun as well.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:42 PM   #7

If I need action I will pull out my T1i. The EP-2 will be my travel camera. I did look at both the ep-2 and gf1. Love the evf of the oly. It is great.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:31 AM   #8

R Fortson-

Many thanks for posting. Those photos are indeed quite impressive. I have never seen the Oly EP-2 in operation in a low light venue. Well done!

bean69-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad that you dropped by.

As you can see the low light photo capability area is pretty much the province of the DSLR cameras and the mft (Micro 4/3rd) cameras. Other than that you have the Canon G-11 and the S-90 that do well in low light conditions, as well as the Fuji EXR cameras that use a specially adapted imager.

So if the largest percentage of your shots will be taken under low light level conditions, I would suggest that you look at the Pentax Kx DSLR. It offers the biggest bang for the buck.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
Lots of concert venues don't allow dSLRs. That's why I bought a micro 4/3rds camera, the Olympus E-P1. It uses their dSLR sensor, but in a small package that looks like a point and shoot. Pair it with the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and it's a nice concert package if you get close to the stage.

If not, you can add adapters and add longer lenses, but then you run into the same potential restrictions.

BTW, I have the Canon G9, and it doesn't come close to matching the Olympus in terms of low light capability. In good light, it's a great camera.

Here are the B52s from the second row using the Olympus E-P1 and the 17mm lens.

Here's the same show with the Olympus E-P1 and an old Pentax manual 50mm f/1.7 lens.

rfortson,

Can you provide me the exif data on these shots. I am very impress with the ep-1. I suspect the ep-2 will be just as good. They look as good as some test shots I did with the oly e620. Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
rfortson,

Can you provide me the exif data on these shots. I am very impress with the ep-1. I suspect the ep-2 will be just as good. They look as good as some test shots I did with the oly e620. Thanks
I'm not an Oly guy (well...I guess I am now), but from what I read the E-P1 is essentially an upgrade from the 620 in terms of IQ and many features. Of course, it's not a dSLR so you're limited by size and AF speed, but otherwise it's supposed to be very nice compared to their dSLRs.

As for the shots I posted, here are the details.

17mm, f/2.8, ISO 1600, EV -0.3, 1/200s, spot metering
50mm, f/1.7, ISO 1600, EV -0.3, 1/640s, spot metering