Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:10 PM   #1

Default The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards

The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards

Well, being that everyone is doing it, I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Here are my choices for Camera's of the year and there standing…I won't go in to the why's unless you ask.

Just one point of clarification, I am no longer affiliated with any brand and thus there is no commercial bias.

My Favorite Full Frame DSLR's are the following:

1. Sony Alpha 850
2. Nikon D3X
3. Canon 5D Mkll
4. Canon 1Ds Mklll
5. Sony Alpha 900

My Favorite High End APS-C DSLR's are the following:

1. Canon 7D
2. Pentax K7
3. Nikon D300s
4. Sony Alpha 550

My Favorite Entry Level DSLR's are the following:

1. Pentax K-x
2. Canon 500D
3. Nikon D5000

There you have it. Would love to hear your feedback.

Ben

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2...camera-awards/
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:40 PM   #2

I am not at all interested in owning a full frame camera (too heavy, I can't manage one or afford one for that matter), but I'd like to know why you put the Sony on top of the list.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I am not at all interested in owning a full frame camera (too heavy, I can't manage one or afford one for that matter), but I'd like to know why you put the Sony on top of the list.
Value for the dollar, quality of RAW images and build quality all for under 1600 euros street price...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:47 PM   #4

I'd also be interested to know why your #1 favorite is the A850, yet your #5 favorite is the A900. The A850 is the A900 with one arm tied behind its back. The only advantage the A850 has is price. Is that what makes it your favorite?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I think any camera awards list should have some kind of innovation/niche piece. or at least one of the micro 4/3 (EP2/GF1,etc) should get some props for their combination of image quality and size, and just thinking outside the (mirror) box.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'd also be interested to know why your #1 favorite is the A850, yet your #5 favorite is the A900. The A850 is the A900 with one arm tied behind its back. The only advantage the A850 has is price. Is that what makes it your favorite?
There have been several silent improvements in terms of SNR that give it that extra push. None the less, the 850 is the best bang for the buck FF out there IMHO...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjikan View Post
There have been several silent improvements in terms of SNR that give it that extra push.
Not really. They both have the same hardware and firmware.

Sony spent an entire year figuring out how to make a cheaper A900 instead of a better A900. If they had developed an A950, the A900 might be selling for the same price as the A850 is now. Sony just wanted press coverage for introducing a <$2,000 FF dSLR; if they intorduced an A950 and just reduced the price of the A900 to <$2,000, it wouldn't have gotten as much attention.

Quote:
None the less, the 850 is the best bang for the buck FF out there IMHO.
It's my understanding that, in Europe at least, the A900 is bundled with discount coupons for Zeiss or 'G' lenses, making the price difference much less significant.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:33 PM   #8

I'd add the Olympus E-P1 (and I guess the Panasonic GF1) in there somewhere. The E-P1 is the most fun I've had with photography in a while, and it pretty darn close to my K20D for IQ, up to ISO 1600.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
I'd add the Olympus E-P1 (and I guess the Panasonic GF1) in there somewhere. The E-P1 is the most fun I've had with photography in a while, and it pretty darn close to my K20D for IQ, up to ISO 1600.
I must say that the K20D is pretty exceptional in terms of resolving power at iso levels between 100-640.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
I must say that the K20D is pretty exceptional in terms of resolving power at iso levels between 100-640.
Oh, I agree Ben. I love my K20D. I just think the form factor and "different-ness" of the E-P1 and GF1 would deserve some recognition.

BTW, speaking of resolving power, I took a shot of the moon using an old 1000mm Pentax lens using both the K20D, and (via an adapter) the E-P1. I was surprised at how well the E-P1 came out. I've always had the feeling that the 4/3 sensor didn't quite measure up to the K20D sensor (and it doesn't in absolute terms), but looking at the two pictures showed me little real-world difference.

Here's a link to the post.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote