Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:49 AM   #11

An important consideration when selecting a dSLR is the types of subjects you want to shoot. I'm sorry, but if you answered this question in one or more of your other threads, I've forgotten your response. The Canon XSi you already have is a fine camera. The only real advantage the T1i and the K-x have over it is their ability to shoot at higher ISO settings. That's really only useful if you want to shoot indoors in low light and especially if you want fast shutter speeds, like when shooting indoor sports. The T1i also has the best autofocus system for keeping moving subjects (sports/action/wildlife) in focus, followed by your XSi, followed by the Pentax K-x.

BTW, there are no quantitative or qualitative tests for this, so you won't find comparison charts posted on-line anywhere. For focus tracking performance, you trust the authorities on the subject. Here, that's JohnG, Mark1616 and a few others.

(Also, the T1i can capture videos while the others can't.)

In addition, I don't know what kind of experience you have with dSLRs in general (again, if you answered this in one of your other threads, I don't remember), but if your trip to Costa Rica is coming up, you're not giving yourself much time to learn how to use another camera before you arrive and want to start capturing memories without missing more than a few shots. If you want to hit the ground running when you land, and time is running out, I think you would do well to get as much experience as you can with the camera you've got before you leave.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, I suggest you keep the XSi and buy lenses like the Canon 55-250 IS.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 14, 2010 at 7:53 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:22 AM   #12

The k-x does hd in 720. It just does not have a mini hdmi port for quick hd viewing on a hdtv.

Littlejohn,

Tcav is right if you do not have much dslr experience, you will want to get as much time with either camera as possible. But that gives the k-x an edge with the menus and art filters. It will let you use it as a hyperglorifide p&s at times. You will be able to get the shot, it may not be perfect. But you do have the shot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #13

littlejohn-

In terms of initial ease of operation, as Shoturtle has said, the Kx will have the edge. But in fairness you also have to think long term at the very same time. If it is a "one time investment" then the Kx has the edge. If you are at ease by making this an "initial investment" with the lenses to be added later, the the T-1/500D will last longer.

Just my 2 cents. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:25 PM   #14

Thanks all for your comments....I will let you know what i decide.....AND...lol...I am bringing a lap top along...

So THAT means....you guys are coming too!!!
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:31 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Thanks all for your comments....I will let you know what i decide.....AND...lol...I am bringing a lap top along...

So THAT means....you guys are coming too!!!
hehe, good luck with your decision.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:44 PM   #16

1. While the grass may seem greener on the other side, it isn't necessarily so.

2. There are an awful lot of birders on the Pentax section. I've posted some but I'm a lousy birder and have only once shot birds with an AF lens. It was quite successful and I was pleased with the results, but don't go by my experience.

3. I don't necessarily agree with Sarah's statement that the "T-1/500D will last longer". There are some people who will outgrow the K-x and want more advanced features after a year or two but many others will continue to happily use their K-x's for much longer (I still use my K100, which is several years old now and the last owner of my DS was happily using it this year until someone stole it). It's not at all unusual for one to find they are looking for more advanced features right around the time a newer camera comes out that they just HAVE to have, even when their old one is doing the job very well.

3. There's no such thing as a "perfect" camera.

4. All of the cameras you are considering/have are capable of taking awesome pictures. Sports aren't an issue with you, so really you can't make a bad decision.

5. Ergonomics are hugely important. Get the camera that feels best in your hands, even if another one has a feature you MIGHT want (but isn't on your must-have list). The best camera in the world won't take a good picture if it's sitting in your closet because it is too big/small/heavy/light for you.

6. If budget is important, and you want to have a long lens right away, go with the Pentax, because that gets you the long lens right away, for your trip.

7. Because of #4, if you still can't make a decision, flip a coin and then DON'T second guess it. Go out and take a bunch of pictures and learn how to use whatever it is effectively.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:06 PM   #17

Littlejohn,

You will not go wrong with either the T1i or K-x. And I agree with Mtngal. You will not outgrow the pentax anytime soon, especially if it is a hobby. If you were a pro, then I can see it happen.

I am not bias toward either one, my brother just pick up his K-x and it is a great camera it is comparable to my T1i.

But the long zoom lens, it the only thing I really thing you should get right away because of your trip.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:11 PM   #18

Littlejohn,

To give you one more thing to consider, if you are big into traveling. Pentax has an advantage for the traveller with the line of DA Limited lenses. It is a good option for someone that travels allot that wants portability and still have the ability to have interchangeable lenses.

As I fit this group. I wish canon has compact lenses like the DA limited. Instead, I will opt to get something in the m4/3 camera lines, like the oly EP-2 or panasonic GF-1 for my light weigh needs.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:59 PM   #19

Default A Bird in the Hand ...

I still say that you should stick to the XSi that you have, learn to use it, and spend the extra money on a lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:01 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I still say that you should stick to the XSi that you have, learn to use it, and spend the extra money on a lens.
somewhere along the line of posts i missed the fact that he had an XSi already.

I actually am going to side with TCav here. The XSi is still a great camera, with a TERRIFIC 12mp sensor.

and Canon will release a new round of Rebels this year.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote