Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... But that gives the k-x an edge with the menus and art filters. ...
I've seen multiple references to these art filters as being a plus, and I don't see the attraction.

This kind of thing is better done in post processing on a computer screen than on a 2.7 inch LCD display. And, in post processing, after seeing the full size result, if you don't like it, you can UNDO. If you do it in the camera, you lose the original image, and there's no UNDO.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:20 PM   #22

For someone new to dslr, it gives a safety net. If you want a shot, and do not know how to shoot it, let the camera decide on the setting for you.

For a season person like you, that feature is not a value. But for someone new, it can have great value.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
For someone new to dslr, it gives a safety net. If you want a shot, and do not know how to shoot it, let the camera decide on the setting for you.

For a season person like you, that feature is not a value. But for someone new, it can have great value.
We're talking about "artistic filters", right?

Quote:
Creative Processing and Filter Modes
Creative processing and filter modes produce high quality finished images, while offering the ability to explore artistic freedom through unique special effects.
This stuff, right?

Where's the safety net in exploring artistic freedom on a 2.7 inch LCD Display?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:37 PM   #24

There filter and menu to take candle light shoot and others, that you find on a point and shoot. It is something that can be useful for new dslr owners. That was one of the reason I recommend it to my brother. It gives him fall back ability until he starts his photo class in the spring.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I still say that you should stick to the XSi that you have, learn to use it, and spend the extra money on a lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
somewhere along the line of posts i missed the fact that he had an XSi already.

I actually am going to side with TCav here. The XSi is still a great camera, with a TERRIFIC 12mp sensor.

and Canon will release a new round of Rebels this year.
The XSi is deal #1...I am trying it out along with the pentax....the XSi is low iso compared to T1i, which is why I was considering moving up.

I presently own no camera..except for the oly OM-1 film...70's vintage
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
The XSi is deal #1...I am trying it out along with the pentax....the XSi is low iso compared to T1i, which is why I was considering moving up.

I presently own no camera..except for the oly OM-1 film...70's vintage
Littlejohn,

LOL, that is funny.

But I still go with my opinion that the K-x is a higher echelon camera then the XSi as it has a higher ISO, HD at 720 and the XSi only has the K-x beat on the AF system. And that the menu and filters will help if you are pretty new to DSLR. So between the two, I would go with the K-x as sports is not high on your list, and the features are more on the K-x for the price.

The T1i is a great camera, but has more of a learning curve as it is gear toward more season DSLR owners. And it is 1080 HD, better AF, high mp for cropping, and more lenses to choose from if you plan on expanding your lenses for different type of photo situations. With this one, the K-x wins on price, but the T1i wins in ability. Only you should decide on what you want to spend your money on.

But I say no matter what because of the trip you are taking, get a long zoom with the T1i, or the longer zoom with the K-x. To give you the ablitlity to get the birds and animals hiding in the canopied.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:19 AM   #27

TCav - I agree with you that the in-camera processing/art filters are not a reason to choose a particular camera.

However, I'd like to correct one thing that you said. You said that you would lose the original and you couldn't undo it. With the K-x (and the K-7, for that matter) you can take a picture and then add the filter/processing, which the camera will save as a second file. So you still have the first, unaltered picture, along with the processed one. And if you want, you can take that first file and process it several different ways, saving all of those different ways as different files. And you can add more than one of the finishing effects on the same picture/file. I actually had fun one day at lunch, when I was bored, seeing how off-the-wall I could get a dull picture.

Would I use any of them? For the most part absolutely not as most are too over-the-top for me. But there's one or two that I would use, given the right situation/subject (selective desat being one of them). And I do use the in-camera HDR on occasion, I find that useful and it's worth giving extra points to the K-x for offering it (though others would feel it's as worthless as I think the "toy camera" finishing is).

Would I make it a criteria for choosing a camera? No way. But that's my personal preference and wouldn't say that someone is wrong if they feel differently.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:41 AM   #28

arts and filters...not a big attraction for me..HDR and desat I'd play with,B&W etc...but I'm the type to 'think' a swiss army knife type of tool...while does the job, dosen't really do anything well..

I'd be more inclined to get decent software and do it there. That being said...there MAY be situations where your with a group, perhaps a wedding reception, and you're playing around and showing others your pic of the B&W bride with RED lips...you just took. Otherwise...looking at a larger screen is my choice.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've seen multiple references to these art filters as being a plus, and I don't see the attraction.

This kind of thing is better done in post processing on a computer screen than on a 2.7 inch LCD display. And, in post processing, after seeing the full size result, if you don't like it, you can UNDO. If you do it in the camera, you lose the original image, and there's no UNDO.
Raw+jpeg gives you both.

My vote would be for the K-X.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:59 AM   #30

How about it, littlejohn-

Any updates??

Take care.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote