Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 AM   #41

You have the higher grade lens with the DA 55-300m It is a 450 dollar lens by it self, you made out.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:54 AM   #42

They're both DAL. And yes, you made out like a bandit. The DAL lens was/is only offered in the 2 lens kit, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by dansamy; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #43

Don't feel bad, amazon has them instock now, and the price jump to 810 dollars. If you had pre order you get the deal.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Don't feel bad, amazon has them instock now, and the price jump to 810 dollars. If you had pre order you get the deal.
Oh, no! I don't feel bad at all! I got the 2 L lenses with the K-x for $612. That's an amazing deal. I'd have to pony up $200 more for the DA lens, which has minor differences but is optically the same. I could see where quick-shift and the markings might be useful, but I don't see how they could possibly be critical, essential features.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Oh, no! I don't feel bad at all! I got the 2 L lenses with the K-x for $612. That's an amazing deal. I'd have to pony up $200 more for the DA lens, which has minor differences but is optically the same. I could see where quick-shift and the markings might be useful, but I don't see how they could possibly be critical, essential features.
I agree for now...LOL....one thing the DAL mount is plastic..and the DA is metal..(albeit..recycled metal from a 1984 Hyundai..)

$200 dollar diff eh? wow...I know the manager at the store said the package was $50 below their cost..

I wonder if the original store had the DAL package...but I ain't gonna 'wonder' too long either..LOL

But ONE thing pisses me off..the 55-300 len is longer then the 50-200..I need to buy a new bag....

Seems they will get some $$$ back.

I am deciding between the Lowepro slingshot 100 AW for $90.

And the Kata 3N1-20 for $100 (on sale..)..its a nice bag..bigger then I need tho..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:46 AM   #46

look at the Tarmac Velocity also. It is along the same line of bags.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:08 PM   #47

I have both a Kata 3N1 and a Lowepro Slingshot. Like them both. The Kata is more versatile because of the different way you can configure the straps. Don't worry about getting a bigger bag than you need for your second bag, you'll quickly fill it up.

I'm not crazy about the Tamrac Velocity series - it seemed like accessibility wasn't as good as either the Lowepro or Kata bags. Re-arrange the interior sub-dividers in the Kata or Lowepro bags so they are vertical, rather than horizontal - then you can get at everything easily. Don't think you can do that with the Tamrac.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I have both a Kata 3N1 and a Lowepro Slingshot. Like them both. The Kata is more versatile because of the different way you can configure the straps. Don't worry about getting a bigger bag than you need for your second bag, you'll quickly fill it up.

I'm not crazy about the Tamrac Velocity series - it seemed like accessibility wasn't as good as either the Lowepro or Kata bags. Re-arrange the interior sub-dividers in the Kata or Lowepro bags so they are vertical, rather than horizontal - then you can get at everything easily. Don't think you can do that with the Tamrac.

If vertical..then the quick access purpose is defeted..or am I missing something.??

BTW the Kata site has useful videos on their bag..and how to use it...

What models of the kata and lowepro bags have you got???
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:00 PM   #49

I didn't explain what I meant very well at all - I sometimes have trouble with that. Here's a picture of my Lowepro Slingshot 200, with the "flap" pulled back to explain.

You can see that the cross-dividers in what I call "vertical" position, it's vertical when you have the bag on the side and accessing it. There's "flaps" that go across the actual top and bottom compartments, with the camera in the center. This picture the small cross-divider for the top compartment faces up with the two lenses (Vivitar Series One 105 macro and the A*300, both fairly good-sized lenses) side-by-side. Lowepro ships the dividers with them sideways, so the lenses are one on top of the other when accessing this way, and you'd have to lift out the top lens, then the divider unless you unclip the zipper "stops" and open the bag up fully. That negates the easy access I really like with this bag. Does this make sense now?

You can fit 4 lenses in the two compartments (or 3 lenses and a rocket air blower, one of the bottom compartments is a bit hard to get into), plus camera and lens mounted in the center, then put a flash and other misc. stuff (including a small lens or another camera without a lens mounted) in the top compartment.

I have the HUGE Kata 3N1-30 bag also. I bought it recently, when I bought the DA*300, which is too long to fit in the Lowepro 200 comfortably. I like the fact you can access both sides, so you aren't restricted by having to carry it on one particular shoulder. The way I have the 30 set up in a similar way, but it's wide enough that I can put the Viv and the DA 12-24 in the top compartment (same configuration as shown above), then have a divider and the 10-17 fish-eye under them, with access on the other side. I do the same thing with the middle section, keeping the rocket air blower under the camera/mounted lens. The lower section doesn't have a mid-divider as the DA*300 is too long. So I can carry 5 or 6 lenses unmounted and one mounted on the camera, then a flash and etc. stuff in the top compartment.

Unless you have something like the DA*300, I'd go for either the 100 or 200 Kata, it's much more manageable.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:13 PM   #50

Thanks MG... I kept the Kata 20...which is a tad big for me..but for $10 difference between the Lowpro 100 and the Kata 20..it was almost a no brainer.

The Kata is well made and versatile.

But I liked the Lowepro too..it has its place. And if it goes on sale....

The one thing I wish Kata has the lowepro does.. is that silky cloth that can protect the lcd screen. I am going to velco one in the Kata...