Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Its down to the wire....

Ok...I am at a conundrum here Perhaps you guys can help me focus..

I have narrowed down some options, and I need to decide very soon as a trip to Costa Rica is just around the corner. (all prices are in Canadian dollars)

Deal #1 Canon XSi, bag, UV filter and extra battery...$600
Deal #2 Canon T1i, bag UV filter and extra battery....$850
Deal #3 Pentax K-X, 2 lens 18-55 and 50-200.............$750
Deal # 4 Pentax K-X 2 lens 18-55 and 55-300............$850

I do know the Canon AF is faster than Pentax, and I do know the 55-300 lens is better than the 50-200

Deal #4 is thru newegg.ca..the others are local Deal #1 was a Future shop boxing day special I purchased on line..and I can upgrade to deal#2 .

I can live with either the canon or the pentax, and Iíve looked at this from what I think is all angles. Now i need another opinion...what are your thoughts?

And if youíll indulge me...where can i find focus speed comparisions. For example how does the K-x compare to the Oly E620 in speed? I have tried the E620 and noticed that its low lite speed was rather poor, but I donít know how it compares to the K-X??? (too large a span between tests...)

Thanks folks...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2

The physics of 4/3 vs aps-c gives the pentax a clear advantage. The E620 is equal up to 800, and is a bit behind at 1600iso. At 3200-6400 the pentax will leave the E620 behind. But you need to ask yourself, will you be using anything pass 1600iso. I have the t1i, and really never use anything pass 1600iso, at times I go to 3200. I do not shot indoors sports, if I did, then I would go to the high ISO.

The Canon XSi is a very good camera, you will need to decide if the benefit of the T1i is worth the extra 250 dollars.

With the Pentax k-x compare to the canon t1i, will the art filter benefit you as you develop your photo skills. Also is the in camera hdr something important to you. Or will you rather have software to do HDR editing thus giving you more creative control.

If you are going to shoot sport, the canon has a clear edge over the pentax with it's AF system.

If video is important to you, can you live with 720 or do you want 1080. Also with the pentax, you can not connect a hdmi cable right to you hd tv to view video or photos, so if that is somthing important to you.

For the extra 100 dollars, it is really worth getting the longer 300mm lens.

These are some of the question you need to ask yourself. Good luck on your choice.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Also

You need to factor is an additonal 40 dollars to the price of the pentax k-x for 2 set of sanyo eneloops. You will want a low discharge battery.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4

littlejohn-

My vote go to the Pentax Kx with the more expensive 2 lens kit. The Pentax 55-300mm lens is an excellent lens. However, if you are considering sports photo, then I must opt for the Canon XSi.

The Pentax $$-wise is the clear winner, and I do not think sports are on your agenda.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5

Littlejohn,

Is the canon option with 1 or 2 lenses?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Littlejohn,

Is the canon option with 1 or 2 lenses?

Both Canons are one lens...which I have to add the cost of the second lens as well...

I don't shoot sports...but perhaps birds in flight or wildlife on the run (but THAT depends on how fast to the draw I am...LOL)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:56 AM   #7

If bang for the buck is a concern in initial cost, the pentax is the value winner. As the pentax lenses are a bit pricer then the canon lens, so the difference can be offset if adding prime lenses something you think you will get into.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:19 AM   #8

Bang for the buck is a moderate concern for sure...but value is more important for now and the future..

and that's the rub...its systems again..I accept that today's poor camera make could be tomorrow's top of the line...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:30 AM   #9

I will give you a honest opinion. Since you are taking a trip pretty soon, you will want a longer zoom with you. As you will be in the jungle maybe. The zoom will let you get closer to your subject that is up in the canopied.

So if you do not want to make the 1100 dollar for t1i 2 kit lens investment with the ef-s 55-250mm. Or pay the 500+ for the EF 70-300mm before you go on your trip. Then the pentax will be the better solution. So if you do not want to miss those shots that only a zoom can get you on your trip. The pentax is the way to go.

The Pentax is a higher echelon camera then the XSi, the only thing the XSi has over it is the AF system.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:13 AM   #10

Get a camera you will be happy with long after the box has been open. Even if that means paying a little more than you originally wanted too. My vote is for the Canon T1i. Gave a T1i to the wife for Christmas and it's one fun camera to use plus takes great pictures.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote