Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Does the camera I want exist?

My trusty old panasonic tz-1 has bit the dust. I haven't bought a camera in years and would love some advice. Here is what my ideal camera would have:

1. Small enough tofit ina shirt pocket. The tz-1 was borderline.

2. AT least a 7 zoom starting no higher than 28mm. The 35mm starting point of the tz-1 was aggravating.

3. Before the above mentioned digital, I always used an SLR that gave me apeture and shutter priorities. I miss that. If I cannot have those exact controls, is there something like that?

4. Decent build and lens quality. I am not caught up in the megapixel race, but would like a good image.

5. Low light abilityis not a priority, but I would like decent pictures at 400 ISO. I don't use a flash often.

6. Video is not a priority, but now that I can have a card with good memory I might do more.

After perusing this forum, I have got say how impressed I am by the knowledge administered here. Especially since by answering basic questions you are dealing with people much below your level of expertise.

Thank you.
buffaloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

If you are looking for good control in a pocket-size camera, you may look into Canon's S90, it offers pretty much any manual control you want like an SLR and offers arguably the best image quality for a pocket camera right now. It achieves this image quality by staying out of the megapixel race and going with a modest 10mp. Lens starts at 28mm, goes to 105mm. While low-light was not a priority, this camera does quite well up to ISO 800 and can manage at 1600 in a pinch.

this comes at a pricetag though, around 400$.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3

If I am not mistaken - along with a price tag... the s90 only has 3.8x zoom and I think the op wanted at least 7x....
What about the canon sx200 or the fuji f70... not sure if these have all the manual control you are looking for though... but they are fairly small, reasonably priced and have 12x and 10x zoom...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:57 AM   #4

Default I may be getting this narrowed down

Using a comparison site, and giving a lot of weight to a camera that is about 31mm (about 1.25 inches) or less I have come up with the following:

Panasonic
1. ZR1
2. FS 30 or 33 (Seems that only the screen size is different).

Olympus
Stylus 9010.

I am concerned that only the ZR1 camera is available now. Having a trip coming up next month, I cannot wait too long.

Any feedback on quality and availability (in the US).
buffaloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Super Moderator

sorry, somehow i missed the zoom part.

the ZR1 is a great camera, offering a terrific lens with the best implementation of image stabilization for a compact, and fast performance, and overall good image quality.

however, it offers no real manual controls, which was an original priority
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote