Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:12 AM   #91
Administrator

But, you can get a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens for only $199 now. ;-)

From what I can tell, you don't have that type of option with Pentax in an Autofocus lens.

Yep.. trying them out in a store is the best bet. You may also want to take a look at some of the other models with higher available ISO speeds like the Canon T1i and Sony A500 at the same time.

Then, put together some lists of configurations that include initial cost, plus what you may want to buy later on for them and compare their pros and cons and consider your budget options more carefully.

Also, we tend to get into "splitting hairs" in these types of forum discussions, as to what system is better in one area or another, when the differences between them may not be that great in the overall scheme of things. :-)

But, I would take things like higher available ISO speeds and availability of brighter primes into consideration when making those types of comparisons for more flexibility in more conditions if I were looking for a camera primarily for very low light shooting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:49 AM   #92

He has it form 24, 30,50, 60, 77, 90 and 105 with AF between sigma tamron and pentax if you include DA limited and macro. Some of the macro lens are quick enough to serve double duty.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:16 PM   #93
Administrator

I meant "price" by "you don't have that kind of option...." ;-)

The least expensive f/2 or brighter Autofocus prime I see in the Pentax lineup is the 50mm f/1.4 at around $350 right now (it's $359.95 at B&H).

Yes, the D5000 is somewhat limited in AF primes offered for it (if you want Autofocus). But, for a "Normal Prime", you have a far less expensive option available for the D5000 in the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S, giving you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 53mm lens on a 35mm camera.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:19 PM   #94

you can get the tamron 28mm 1.8 also. It is in the 330 range.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:36 PM   #95
Administrator

I think you probably mean the Sigma 28mm f/1.8.

But, that's my point (it will cost you a lot more with a Pentax body if you want a suitable bright prime and want autofocus with it).

You're looking at $349 for the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 versus $199 for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 at a vendor like B&H (almost twice as much money for a bright autofocus prime for a Pentax model; whether you're looking at the Pentax 50mm f/1.4, or a third party option like the Sigma 28mm f/1.8).

In contrast, the other major camera manufacturers like Canon, Nikon and Sony have under $200 options for a 50mm or shorter Autofocus prime with f/2 or brighter available apertures.

Going used, you have even more AF prime options with Canon and Sony (although not so much for the Nikon D5000). With Pentax, your AF choices are more limited on the used market, too (just because they didn't make as many AF lenses as you'll find for other major brands) . But, on the plus side, you've got a lot of good Manual Focus options for Pentax bodies. For the Nikon D5000, your AF options on the used market are limited because it requires lenses with focus motors built in if you want Autofocus.

There are pros and cons to any of them. I was just concerned about the startup price for a good kit for low light shooting, and even though the Pentax body is less, a suitable brighter prime is more expensive.

That's why I put it this way in my earlier post:

Quote:
... trying them out in a store is the best bet. You may also want to take a look at some of the other models with higher available ISO speeds like the Canon T1i and Sony A500 at the same time.

Then, put together some lists of configurations that include initial cost, plus what you may want to buy later on for them and compare their pros and cons and consider your budget options more carefully.

Also, we tend to get into "splitting hairs" in these types of forum discussions, as to what system is better in one area or another, when the differences between them may not be that great in the overall scheme of things. :-)

But, I would take things like higher available ISO speeds and availability of brighter primes into consideration when making those types of comparisons for more flexibility in more conditions if I were looking for a camera primarily for very low light shooting.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:58 PM   #96

Yes, we have been talking about lenses way to much. I am getting confuse with brand. But with the d5000 you have the same limits with AF lenses, the 50mm is less with the pentax then on the d5000. It goes back and forth.

But for what the budget is and the situation the shots are at. The higher iso, and a 50mm prime will work well. Because budget is a huge factor. Ideally the T1i would be the best fit with lenses, low light with and without flash. But that brings us back to budget. The 100% solution may not be needed all the time. A 80-90% solution can work fine.

Also since the prime lens has been factored out of the initial equalization. The difference in price between the canon prime and pentax prime can be offset with time, with a bit of saving for the next purchase.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:24 PM   #97
Administrator

I wouldn't factor out the primes for the initial purchase. If I were the OP, I'd strongly consider something like this kit, too:

Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm VR lens, in factory refurbished condition for $524.95
http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RD.html

Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens for $199.95
http://www.adorama.com/NK3518U.html

Vivitar DF 283 for $89.95
http://www.adorama.com/VVDF283NIK.html

If the flash didn't perform as expected, I'd just return it and either wait until I had more money for a better one, or go with a used non-dedicated Sunpak 383 or similar instead.

That kit would come in at $814.95, giving him a camera with ISO speeds up to ISO 6400 in a pinch, a walk around zoom lens for everyday shooting and wider shots of bands, and a brighter prime for existing light shooting without a flash (with a focal length that may be more useful compared to 50mm offerings, when shooting in areas where he may not be able to back up enough to get what he wants into the frame).

On the downside, selections in additional focal lengths may be more limited, because the body doesn't have a built in AF motor.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:27 PM   #98

So, about to head out shopping, but of course running into problems. No body carries the Pentax X-k, or rather one store does, 1 left in Navy, but they are out of stock for the Nikon D5000, and they are not really conveniently located either. Everyone seems to carry the Nikon D5000.

I'll have to figure out if I am going to venture down to them to see the Pentax.

Who knew that shopping could be such a challenge?
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:36 PM   #99

LOL, it tough, everyone are out of stock on things as it seems like a very good sales season for the sellers over xmas.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:36 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I wouldn't factor out the primes for the initial purchase. If I were the OP, I'd strongly consider something like this kit, too:

Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm VR lens, in factory refurbished condition for $524.95
http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RD.html

Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens for $199.95
http://www.adorama.com/NK3518U.html

Vivitar DF 283 for $89.95
http://www.adorama.com/VVDF283NIK.html

If the flash didn't perform as expected, I'd just return it and either wait until I had more money for a better one, or go with a used non-dedicated Sunpak 383 or similar instead.

That kit would come in at $814.95, giving him a camera with ISO speeds up to ISO 6400 in a pinch, a walk around zoom lens for everyday shooting and wider shots of bands, and a brighter prime for existing light shooting without a flash (with a focal length that may be more useful compared to 50mm offerings, when shooting in areas where he may not be able to back up enough to get what he wants into the frame).

On the downside, selections in additional focal lengths may be more limited, because the body doesn't have a built in AF motor.

You will leave him to short with the 35mm. A 50mm would be a better bet. That will make the d5000 a more pricey lens then the pentax.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM.