Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:03 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Annndddd.. SIR... How do WE do that...???
download the firmware to the sdhc card. Have fresh batteries in the camera, and insert the sdhc and run it off the sdhc. If you surf through the menu, you should see which firmware edition is on the camera, and you can check if you need to off of the pentax webpage.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:39 PM   #112

iankh,

Since you are new to dslr, you may want to check out this site, they have youtube video workshop. It is very helpful for new dslr owners.

www.dslrtips.com
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:47 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
iankh,

Since you are new to dslr, you may want to check out this site, they have youtube video workshop. It is very helpful for new dslr owners.

www.dslrtips.com
Thanks this is going to be extremely helpful
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:49 PM   #114

You are welcome. Hope it all works out for you.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:47 AM   #115

Sorry to ask again but I think I need just a little bit more advice.

I should have looked more closely at the Pentax site first, but they are offering some really good rebates. There is a $100 rebate on the camera, and if I buy lenses (up to 4 additional lenses, there's $100 rebate per lense).

While it was not in the original budget I allocated for right now, but I think I should take advantage of this offer now and save $100 bucks, which is a pretty substantial savings, rather than wait to later only to have it cost $100 more later.

I'm not sure what lens to get. The list of lenses for the rebate is:
  • DA ★ 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF)
  • DA ★ 55mm F1.4
  • DA ★ 200mm F2.8 ED
  • DA 15mm F4.0 ED Limited
  • DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited
  • DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
  • DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
  • DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
  • DA 10-17mm Fisheye F3.5-4.5 ED (IF)
  • DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF)
  • DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF)
  • DA 16-45mm F4.0 ED, AL
  • DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM
  • DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
  • DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II
  • DA 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 ED WR
  • DA 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 ED
  • DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
  • D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
  • D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
  • FA 50mm F1.4

I have to call the camera store on Monday, because everything needs to be on the same receipt. I'm sure I can arrange a "return" and then get a receipt for the camera and lens (lenses).

In for a penny in for a pound, eh?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:39 AM   #116
Administrator

Congrats on the new K-x.

I'd probably lean towards the FA 50mm f/1.4 so that you'll have a brighter lens for existing light shooting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:57 AM   #117

Congratulations oand good luck with the K-x.

I agree with JimC that the 50/1.4 would be more useful to you than anything else they're offering right now.

But you haven't gone into a lot of detail about other types of photography you might be interested in. For instance, if you also wanted to take photos of the food at the clubs you write about, you might want the 50mm f/2.8 macro lens as well.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:24 AM   #118

Welcome to the Pentax world!

From what you said about your needs, budget and the list of lenses that have the discount - I'd probably start with the FA 50 f1.4. It has a great reputation and (I think) is cheaper than the DA*55 f1.4 (check the statistics, I think the DA*55 is weather sealed and most likely larger and heavier than the FA).

As far as the others - lenses that are identified as "Limited" or with the "*" are top quality lenses. The DA* lenses are weather sealed - while your camera isn't sealed, lenses last for ever and if you think you'll eventually upgrade to a sealed body, that might be something to consider.

For your needs, since you already have the two zooms and since you are used to primes, I think I'd be looking at the DA Limiteds that are pancake lenses - they are lovely lenses and tiny/light-weight. I don't have any of them but they sure would be high on my list if I had a K-x.

Another idea would be to get something really wide. I'd probably opt for the larger, more expensive 12-24 because it's a pentilinear lens while the 10-17 is a fisheye (straight lines don't stay straight but it's a really fun specialty lens).

Both macro lenses are very good, but I prefer the 100 mm, since it allows you to stand off from your subject.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:55 PM   #119

I agree the FA 50mm 1.4 for what you are shooting, it will let you take some shots without the flash. If you want to slurge the DA 55mm 1.4
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:27 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Welcome to the Pentax world!

From what you said about your needs, budget and the list of lenses that have the discount - I'd probably start with the FA 50 f1.4. It has a great reputation and (I think) is cheaper than the DA*55 f1.4 (check the statistics, I think the DA*55 is weather sealed and most likely larger and heavier than the FA).

As far as the others - lenses that are identified as "Limited" or with the "*" are top quality lenses. The DA* lenses are weather sealed - while your camera isn't sealed, lenses last for ever and if you think you'll eventually upgrade to a sealed body, that might be something to consider.

For your needs, since you already have the two zooms and since you are used to primes, I think I'd be looking at the DA Limiteds that are pancake lenses - they are lovely lenses and tiny/light-weight. I don't have any of them but they sure would be high on my list if I had a K-x.

Another idea would be to get something really wide. I'd probably opt for the larger, more expensive 12-24 because it's a pentilinear lens while the 10-17 is a fisheye (straight lines don't stay straight but it's a really fun specialty lens).

Both macro lenses are very good, but I prefer the 100 mm, since it allows you to stand off from your subject.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the retailer where I bought the camera doesn't carry the FA, only the DA, but with the rebate, the lens would be about $114.

The kit I bought only came with one zoom not two. I had thought about looking at the DA 50-200mm or DA 55-300mm to have a second, larger zoom.

While none of this was originally in the amount I allocated, the $100 rebate is pretty sweet.