Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:27 PM   #41
Administrator

It depends on what he meant by this:

Quote:
...Typically in clubs where there would low light (I would say stage light but that isn't so, think of performance areas in bars).
Some bars with live music can be very dim. The human eye adjusts to it. But, it can be tough to capture it with a camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Poking around on the Internet I see that the Pentax K-x with the 2 lens kit 18-55 and 55-200mm is going for about $649, which is well within my budget.
Remember that, with those lenses, you still need the flash. And if you can use a flash, then any of the dSLRs you've mentioned would work, though the Pentax is the best of the bunch.

But if you can't use a flash then you need the fast primes that either aren't available or are rare and expensive for the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:32 PM   #43

Well from my experience form clubs in NYC, it may not be a stage persay, some are large speaker that they are standing on, others are areas of the club dance floor, but where the performer are, it is generally lit enough for the af to lock. The club I was in this weekend was a club and restaurant. The show was on the dance floor no stage lighting, but had enough lighting for the K-x to get a af lock.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:37 PM   #44

Usually, I beleive the performer would be on a riser with some track lights, though not an actual stage with spotlights.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:39 PM   #45

Allot of club do that too, but the track lighting is enough to get an af lock. That was the lights that was on the dance floor I was at this weekend.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Remember that, with those lenses, you still need the flash. And if you can use a flash, then any of the dSLRs you've mentioned would work, though the Pentax is the best of the bunch.

But if you can't use a flash then you need the fast primes that either aren't available or are rare and expensive for the Pentax.
actually if you compare the pentax 50mm 1.4 to the canon 50mm 1.4 they are pretty much the same price.

Granted you can get a very good prime with the 50mm 1.8 with the canon for 90 bucks.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:53 PM   #47

Yes, the Pentax 50/1.4 is nice and competitively priced, but they don't have anything wider with a large aperture, making the Pentax a poor choice for available light shooting in confined spaces on a budget.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:02 PM   #48

true, the sigma 28 for the pentax is 350 so on a tight budget it would be tough finding anything for less. With the canon you can get it 28mm for 250.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:05 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Allot of club do that too, but the track lighting is enough to get an af lock. That was the lights that was on the dance floor I was at this weekend.
Perhaps, but in bars around here I wouldn't expect to get a lock using a kit lens on a Pentax (or even on a Nikon, Canon or Sony model for that matter, which will require far less light compared to what I can see of tests of Pentax models).

From what I can see from tests of models like the K7, it's not going to lock in light lower than EV 0 using an f/1.4 lens, and I doubt the K-x is going to be much better.

So, if you're at around /f4 with a kit lens (3 stops dimmer), you'd need lighting levels of around EV 3 to get a lock.

In some of the dimmer bars with live music around here, you're lucky to get shutter speeds of 1/10 second at ISO 3200 shooting at f/2 (and some are dimmer than that). In other words, lighting levels tend to run between EV 0 and EV 1 in some the dimmer bars. So, it would be very unlikely you'd get a lock with a kit lens in that lighting (you'd need a much brighter lens).

If lighting is significantly better (i.e., you do have some better lighting to work with), perhaps.

They don't have stage lighting (or nice dance floor lighting) in some of the bars around here with live music. ;-) The dim lighting adds to the ambiance. But, that does make it tougher to capture images.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:18 PM   #50
Administrator

But, if you're using a external flash with an AF assist lamp built in, that would help. Or, if the camera's flash is being used for AF assist, that might help. Personally, I hate that feature (a flash being used for AF assist), as it can be quite annoying. LOL