Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:21 PM   #51

I know, the bar down in Savannah were very dark when I was down there over the summer but it was fun visiting such a beautiful walking city.

But from some of the things I have read, the K-x has a better AF system then the K7. It seems to be true, as only at the really dark conners of the club, did the k-x had a problem. The canon did a little better but took a bit to get a AF lock and some lurking of the lens. I tried to get a suprise pic of a friend kissing his girl where they thought no one was looking.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
But, if you're using a external flash with an AF assist lamp built in, that would help. Or, if the camera's flash is being used for AF assist, that might help. Personally, I hate that feature (a flash being used for AF assist), as it can be quite annoying. LOL
... which brings us back to high ISOs and large apertures in available light.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Remember that, with those lenses, you still need the flash. And if you can use a flash, then any of the dSLRs you've mentioned would work, though the Pentax is the best of the bunch.

But if you can't use a flash then you need the fast primes that either aren't available or are rare and expensive for the Pentax.
I think someone might have addressed this, but of the 3 cameras is there one that is better based on availability of lenses and a difference in lens pricing?
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:58 PM   #54

Canon, has the best availability in lenses of the 3 camera you mention, they have lenses that will fit into tighter budgets. The nikon would be about the same in lenses if you were looking at the d90 instead. But that would be out of you budget for the body alone. The Pentax equivalent would run about 100 more then the canon for the wider angle lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 15, 2010 at 9:28 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:25 PM   #55

To add to shoturtle's response I will say that, while the Canon XSi would have the best selection of large aperture lenses, it doesn't have the higher ISO capabilities that the Nikon D5000 (or the Pentax K-x) has, so the Canon is less able to capitalize on those large aperture lenses in low light.

Without trying these beforehand at every possible venue, I'd prefer to have the higher ISO capability that the D5000 offers. But that limits your autofocus lens choices to the Nikon 35/1.8, which is a very good lens, but that's all there is.

The Canon T1i and the Nikon D90 surpass the limitations of the XSi and the D5000, respectively, but they will also exceed your budget by a large margin.

And while the Pentax K-x also has a higher ISO capability, it has a poorer selection of large aperture lenses than Canon and Nikon.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Added comment about Pentax K-x.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:54 PM   #56
Administrator

Another option might be the Pentax K-x kit with an external flash (that has a built in AF assist beam) for starters to stay within budget. It looks like something like the Pentax AF-360 FGZ might fit the bill (or a Metz 48 AF-1 instead).

Then, wait a while on the primes (or hit the used market and find one as budget permits).

There is no one perfect choice trying to stay within that budget if you want the ability to shoot in low light without a flash, and have the flexibility of a zoom when desired using a flash, since it looks like just about any one bright Pentax prime is going to put that kind of kit over budget (even without a flash from what I can tell of current prices). It looks like Pentax must have increased prices on some of their lenses since I looked at them last (and I haven't looked at them lately), since even their 50mm f/1.4 is running around $359 now (it used to be lower than that).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:57 PM   #57

??????????
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 PM   #58

It is all a bit confusing, isn't? It makes me wonder how anyone selects a camera model. I suppose with a budget like mine, folks are just happy that it's better than a point and shoot.
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:04 PM   #59

No, actually all 3 camera you selected are very good camera's. And for normal shooting in daylight or with decent lighting they all will perform way better then a point and shoot. It is just that require you camera to shoot in a very very tough shooting environment, that requires certain abilities.

Out of the 3, the K-x will keep you in your budget with a flash. And it seem we are getting into consensus that the k-x is the best option for you and your budget.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:50 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

IOW, there is no perfect camera. :-)
There really isn't. I've read enough here and else where to realize that....The problem many of us have is NOT knowing what imperfections are minimal to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The show was on the dance floor no stage lighting, but had enough lighting for the K-x to get a af lock.
My 'limited' guess would be that you are right. My testing at home, the room had to be quite dark before it wouldn't AF...in fact I could barely see anything in the viewfinder. My guess is..if I can see the 'curves' of that lady on the floor..there is enough 'lite' for the K-X to take her pix..

I suggest to the OP...try them out..check the return policies of two stores and buy one at each store and take both to a bar and take pix of the same subject and lighting. I suggest at the same time because from one nite to the next the lights may be set differently.

One thing the OP should be aware of is that some cameras use the flash for 'focus assist'..That MAY be an issue if you didn't want folks to know you were taking a pix. The KX and the Canon both use the flash and if my recollection is correct so does the Oly E620. BUT the sony doesn't....(am i right??). If so, gentlemen why wouldn't the A330 or a230 even be a suggestion..the AF speeds were pretty good..But perhaps the iso is too low...

Last edited by littlejohn; Jan 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: I didn't change anything...but I posted before reading Jim C's comments.....which are better then mine...after all he IS JC..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote