Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:33 AM   #71

With the d5000 you are limiting the setup to the 35mm, and anything long is very expensive. I like the K-x option with the 200mm lens with the external flash. Then the XSi 2 lens kit with the external flash. It just gives the op more options. At times the flash may not be appropriate to use, the higher ISO may allow for a decent shot.

Both the pentax and canon options will keep him within budget with the flash, so it will work out the box. And gives him time to think about a fast prime.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:43 AM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Then the XSi 2 lens kit with the external flash. It just gives the op more options. At times the flash may not be appropriate to use, the higher ISO may allow for a decent shot.
That Canon model is the worse option out of the bunch for existing light shooting without a flash. It's got a maximum ISO speed of ISO 1600. The D5000 goes to ISO 6400 (using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor). The Pentax K-x also uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (with another stop available to 12,800 if you really wanted to use it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:45 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Over budget (if you want an 18-55mm lens to go with it for wider shots).
The reason the OP wants a camera is to shoot indoors in low light. The 18-55 kit isn't necessary, and would be an unnecessary expense.

Quote:
About the best you'll do is going to do would be closer to $900 with that solution (Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S) from what I can see of prices from reputable vendors right this minute, since the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens is selling for around $199 by itself.
Adorama sells the Nikon D5000 body for $627. That, plus $200 for the 35/1.8 puts the total at $827!

That would be the least expensive option that would satisify the OP's requirement if he can't use flash.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:51 AM   #74
Administrator

He wants to do some of both from what i gathered. So, the wider kit lens would give him more framing flexibility for the group shots when using a flash (he may not be able to back up far enough to get everyone in the frame with a 35mm lens).
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:52 AM   #75

Pentax lenses are not bad at all, they are very good in fact. Some think with their kit lens kit is second only to the olympus kit lenses. Their lenses line up is also very good and so are the 3rd party lenses for it. But recently their lenses have gone up in price. But compare to the d5000 the pentax prices are less for the prime lenses. The 35mm and 50mm will be in the 330 range. Against the canon the 50mm with the high build quality is equal at 50mm, but against the all plastic fantastic, it is about 200 more. And in the 35mm range, it is about 100 more then canon.

The canon T1i would be very good and would work great for what you want and have access to allot more lenses then the d5000. The pentax can take very good photo like the T1i, but the t1i has the best AF system on the market. That is why I was able to get an AF lock in a very very dark area where the k-x could not. I do not think any other camera brand would have except for the canon.

From my clubbing experience you will what the second lens an most likely use it more then the 18-55mm. As some shots you will want a range of more the 55mm to isolate you subject is you are not up as close as 15 ft. So the canon T1i with the second lens ef-s 55-250mm would be required, and if you do not decide today, the price will go up form 819 as the canon rebate of 200 dollars ends on the jan 16. And would blow your budget even more.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:53 AM   #76

Quote:
That Canon model is the worse option out of the bunch for existing light shooting without a flash. It's got a maximum ISO speed of ISO 1600. The D5000 goes to ISO 6400 (using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor). The Pentax K-x also uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (with another stop available to 12,800 if you really wanted to use it).
I should have started a new paragraph. sorry about that, it should have ended with the a external flash.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:56 AM   #77

TCav, the 18-55 is still useful for the group shot. I would not limit him to 35 as his widest angle.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:58 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
He wants to do some of both from what i gathered. So, the wider kit lens would give him more framing flexibility for the group shots when using a flash (he may not be able to back up far enough to get everyone in the frame with a 35mm lens).
P.S.

Personally, I wouldn't mind going with a refurbished Nikon model (as long as it's a Nikon USA Factory Refurbished model, versus something a store is claiming to be refurbished instead), especially with that much savings (only $524.95 for a D5000 with an 18-55mm VR lens).

YMMV, but I bought a Coolpix 950 that way (Nikon USA Factory Refurbished) about 10 years back, and it still works fine. My wife still uses it from time to time. If the box was not marked as being refurbished, I sure wouldn't have been able to tell it (it appeared as new in every respect).
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
TCav, the 18-55 is still useful for the group shot. I would not limit him to 35 as his widest angle.
Ok, but if we're talking about available light that's all he can get whatever camera he picks.

If we're talking about flash, then absolutely.

I think this conversation is getting wrapped around the axle because we're intermingling available light solutions together with flash solutions. If the OP can use flash, then any kit lens on any camera body will do the job. If he can't, then 35mm is as wide as he can go with any camera. (And a 35mm lens will be wider on a Nikon than on a Canon, but that's a discussion for another time.)
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:08 AM   #80

So, iankh, can you use flash or not?