Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:06 PM   #1

Default Sony dsc h50

I have just purschased a Sony DSC h50, Believe i made a bad mistake, I am looking for a camera that has a lot of zoom, takes good macro shots and basically a camera that is good for taking good pics of anything, with easy and simple operations,yet that takes good quality pics, Want to stay in the point and shoot category Any suggestions , CANON, PANASONIC LUMIX, I need some help desperately, THANKS SLUGO
SLUGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the 2 best superzooms right now are the Canon SX20IS and the Panasonic FZ-35. They are comparable in many ways, but the slight edge in image quality and in portability goes to the FZ-35. The SX20IS's advantage is its compatibility with Canon's flashguns.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:10 PM   #3

Thank You for your reply, I just got my Sony from Sony outlet, The sony has a lag time as slow as my canons do When taking multiple shots., I was shocked with this , This is in easy and auto mode. I have 2 canons A590, They seem to be as good as the sony, They do not have the night shot or sports mode, I was kind of disappointed with the sony camera or maybe i am not giving it a chance, I like the feel of a big camera , You seem to know your cameras , Any help you can give is appreciatted, I would like a camera that is like a dslr but not a dslr, What is your opinion on the sony dsc h50 , I read mixed reviews , The hx1 that replaced it was not rated as good as it, Your help and anyones is kindly and greatly appreciatted SLUGO
SLUGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Well, you are asking too much. You cannot have DSLR performance (shot-shot performance, high iso performance) in a digicam.

All digicams will have some shot to shot delay, the amount depends on the model of camera, as well as other factors like was the flash used, also settings like how long you have your preview image set for.

I do not have alot of experience with the Sony H50 in particular, but I do know that it is a decent camera, not the highest rated, but definately not a bad performer either.

it is possible that you just need to change your expectations.

you can always try out the cameras i mentioned at a local store, to see if you prefer their layout and performance.

just keep in mind, if you are expecting dslr performance, you will need a dslr.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:18 AM   #5

Slugo-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad that you dropped by.

Actualy the Sony H-50 is quite a good camera. It does have a bit of shutter lag, as do all P+S cameras, but it does have an excellent zoom range beginning at 28mm, and it offers a lot of zoom, which I believe was one of your initial objectives.

The H-50 does very good macro, or close-up photos and it is a generally good all around camera. I own a Sony H-50, so perhaps I can help you. Please just let me know where you would like to begin.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 5:41 PM   #6

Here is the H-50 at max zoom, while on the run-

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote