Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:55 PM   #21

Here is a 100% crop of my husband's photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1hd View Post
It does seem like the sensor is smaller in the Olympus, but considering that I'm coming from a point and shoot is that a huge deal? I have about 500.00 to spend and I most likely will not be able to get any additional lenses for a while if that helps. I liked the Olypus 620, but I couldn't find it in my range with a lens. The Sony's caught my eye too but then the reviews didn't seem so good. The only thing swaying me away from the Cannon is the fact that it doesn't have image stabilization.....See I'm driving myself nuts! I'm sure any of the cameras in this thread would be a huge step up from the Cannon power shot A710, that is all dented and has some scratches on the lens, that I'm currently using.
Remember the crop factor of the olympus 4/3 is 2 so the 2 lens kit with the 150mm zoom would make it a 300mm lens. It is the same as the sony and pentax with the 200mm zoom with their crop factor at 1.5.

You may want to check out the factory referb e620 2 lens at adorama. For about 630 dollars. They also have a demo for 599 with the two lens.

Also the olympus has the best kit lens of any brand. Also you may also want to consider that you can get a true 1:1 macro lens for e620 for 180 dollars. The 35mm macro is very good. This is for down the road. All the other brands the macro lenses are more expensive for a true 1:1 lens.

The olympus e620 also perform as well as the sony a230 and 330 in low light. And also the nikon d3000. As 1600iso is the max you want these camera to be at. At 800iso the olympus is equal, at 1600iso it is just a bit behind.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:58 PM   #23

I tried the Pentax Kx, but returned it. Perhaps it is just me, but I really want to see a little led flash in the optical viewfinder telling me exactly where the Kx actually focused. the Kx does not show where the camera is focusing even though it has an 11 point focus system.

That was a deal beaker for me. One more note: I actually own and use BOTH the A-230 and the E-620. Yes, both will focus easily in low light, but the Sony A-230 clearly has more ISO capability than the E-620. Hands on experience, does count for something. It is quite a bit different than something a poster may have read or heard about, but never had experience with in real life. Also keep in mind that the imager on the Olympus cameras is substantially smaller than the APS-C image used on the Canon XS and the Sony A-230, that is why the multiplier for Olympus is 2.0X and for APS-C it is 1.5X, more or less.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1hd View Post
Thank you all! You have really been very helpful! I found a camera store near by so I am going to check these all out. I don't need "perfect". I found in life nothing is ever perfect and there is always bigger and better. Right now i just want the most for my 500.00. I'm sure I will be able to take great shots with it. After all it is the photographer not the equipment right? I did find that sony a230 at a cheap price. I'm going to seriously consider that one again. I also am seriously considering that pentax-kx. I can't wait to go test them all out!
When you look at the sony a230 pay extra attention to the viewfinder. It is the smallest of all the dslr's. It was a hugh problem for me when I looked at the a380. That it was so small it made framing the shot very difficult. what you thought you did was not what you did after you looked at the shot on the computer.

The K-x is a fantastic camera. You can get it for about 650 dollars online with the 2 lens kit with the 200mm zoom. This is the only camera listed that is in the same league as the e620 in features. It will just beat the e620 in low light with its high iso performance and aps-c advantage.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:09 AM   #25

The viewfinders on the A-230 and the A-380 are entirely different in size. The A-3XX series cameras have much smaller viewfinders to accommodate the Live View mechanism. The A-230 has a normal viewfinder. Folks, please let's keep this factual.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:10 AM   #26

Also when you go to look at the camera, bring a sd card with you when you test the a230 and pentax k-x. You can save the picture and look at them to see how you like the picture. And it is a good way to see the issue about the view finder of the sony a230. Good luck on you test drive.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The viewfinders on the A-230 and the A-380 are entirely different in size. The A-3XX series cameras have much smaller viewfinders to accommodate the Live View mechanism. The A-230 has a normal viewfinder. Folks, please let's keep this factual.

Sarah Joyce
Actually I though it was crop at 90% vs 95%
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Remember the crop factor of the olympus 4/3 is 2 so the 2 lens kit with the 150mm zoom would make it a 300mm lens. It is the same as the sony and pentax with the 200mm zoom with their crop factor at 1.5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I tried the Pentax Kx, but returned it. Perhaps it is just me, but I really want to see a little led flash in the optical viewfinder telling me exactly where the Kx actually focused. the Kx does not show where the camera is focusing even though it has an 11 point focus system.

That was a deal beaker for me. One more note: I actually own and use BOTH the A-230 and the E-620. Yes, both will focus easily in low light, but the Sony A-230 clearly has more ISO capability than the E-620. Hands on experience, does count for something. It is quite a bit different than something a poster may have read or heard about, but never had experience with in real life. Also keep in mind that the imager on the Olympus cameras is substantially smaller than the APS-C image used on the Canon XS and the Sony A-230, that is why the multiplier for Olympus is 2.0X and for APS-C it is 1.5X, more or less.

Sarah Joyce
Ok I'm confused...... I'm not sure of the lens measurements is that good or bad that is is 3/4. 300 mm is better right? Gives you a farther reach? My point and shoot does awful with the ISO over like 100. Is that how this is going to be? Seeing has I never turn my ISO over 100, now is that really going to be a problem for me? I would love to see comparison pics of both of your cameras if you have any. .
my1hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:18 AM   #29

Shoturtle-

Your 90% versus 95% is just the area sighted through the viewfinder. Your remarks previously were about the actual physical size of the viewfinder. That is an entirely different measurement, as far as I know, and for the record, the viewfinder on the A-230 is substantially larger in physical size than the view finder on the A-380 you were referring to previously, because of the need to accommodate the Live View mechanism.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:21 AM   #30

the olympus is a four third camera so it has a crop factor of 2 vs a full frame. When you see the actually mm of the lens you need to multiply it by 2 to equal the range of a full frame 35mm sensor.

With the pentax and sony. They have a crop factor of 1.5 vs a full frame. So you need to multiply the range of the lens by 1.5 to get the equal range.

So a 150mm lens on a 4:3 camera is equal to 300mm in reality, and a
200mm lens of aps-c is equal to 300mm in reality.

Hope I expanded to a point where it makes sense to you.