Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:37 AM   #41

All the dslr and kit lenses will give you better results. Don't get caught up on all this info. It is allot, both the sony a230 and olympus e520 are very good cameras and will give you better results then the point and shoots. And will give you the manual control and growth you seek.

IMHO, you have your budget, and you should look at the ones in your budget. There is nothing wrong with either the sony or the olympus. And the kit lens will do a fine job right out the box. The olympus has the edge on the lenses out the box and for upgrade path in price, the sony has the edge on low light. Look at these two cameras when you head to the shop. And really see which ones ergo work better for you. Then make your decision.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:24 AM   #42

PS

For the price of a high end bridge you can get the e520 2 lens kit for 480. And it will give you the feature you are looking for. And give you better results. Can not bet that price point on a dslr. Add it to your cart and you will see the sale price.

http://www.adorama.com/IOME520K1.html
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:19 AM   #43

How do I figure out what camera has the most inexpensive lens upgrades with it? Is there a site I can view them side by side?
my1hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:18 AM   #44

Hmmm, it seems like cannon might have the more afford lenses options that I want.....
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:19 AM   #45

How does this look. This kit http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digit...3748249&sr=1-1. With this add on lens. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...3748665&sr=1-3

that would be a grand total of like 550 plus whatever tax.

What do you think? The most bang for my buck, while still allowing me to upgrade when my money tree matures? I really want a lens with F1.8 or lower. This will work good for pictures of my kids right? I will just not be able to "zoom" at all right? I will have to move to get the right shot? I'm a little concerned about not having the image stabilization in the camera. Tell me this is not a huge deal....
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:38 AM   #46

The Canon XS, plus the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens is a very good selection. At some future point you should also consider adding the Canon 55-250mmIS lens. One thing however to keep in mind is that Sony, Olympus, and Pentax have in the camera body IS. In contrast, Canon and Nikon desire to sell you IS, that is resident in each individual lens. So, based on your feelings concerning IS, or Image Stabilization, that may cause one brand to shift position in regard to selecting a camera brand.

Any DSLR camera is going to produce better image quality than a P+S camera. You will see a huge reduction in image noise. The entry level DSLR cameras are purposefully designed to make the transition for P+S very easy. You will find all of the familiar Scene Modes, and the only exception is that for macro or close-up photos where the distance from camera to subject is less than 30," that a Macro lens (a lens with special close focusing properties, will have to be used. Contrary, to what has been stated by Shoturtle, Sony Macro lenses begin at $199, just like those from Olympus.

Switching to a DSLR camera is not at all complicated and you will see a real improvement in image quality and an increase in your own photo knowledge and photo techniques, as well.

Lens prices and selections of lens do vary somewhat. As you might expect, Canon and Nikon have the widest selection of lenses to fit their DSLR cameras.

As soon as I have Bradley up and operating, he is seriously disabled, I will set-up shots to be take with the Olympus E-620 and with the Sony A-230, using different lenses.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:40 AM   #47

The canon does have the most lenses to choose form, but their true macro lens start at 270 dollars. They have allot of zoom lenses but some of them are not very good like the 75-300mm that they package with the XSi and Xs. It is a very poor lens.

The best way to find out the cost for a lens upgrade path is to look at the type of shooting you want to, and search the type of lens the the big camera sites like adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com and amazon.com that way you see what the furture cost of up grade will be. Also at these sites you can read the customer review on the product you are considering.

The XS is the most basic model that canon makes, but the link you sent does not include a longer zoom lens. Which you may really want. The ef 500mm f1.8 will be good for portrait and is ok for macro work but not at 1:1. But that is not a big deal for hand held work. The canon will give you a good upgrade path with lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1hd View Post
How do I figure out what camera has the most inexpensive lens upgrades with it? Is there a site I can view them side by side?
Olympus and canon has the lowest lens upgrade path cost. Canon has the most lenses. But they have some poor performing lenses at the lower price lenses like the 75-300mm IS lens.

If you do add a long zoom with the canon. Go with the 55-250mm IS zoom instead, it is a much better lens.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:59 AM   #49
Super Moderator

one thing i might like to add. regardless of the system you end up with, which I think any will do you great. adding an external flash may be something you consider, especially for the shots of your children. this allows you to bounce your flash for indoor shots, which is a major improvement.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:09 PM   #50

Thanks for all your help! I am a little concerned about the lack of IS, but I am used to cannons which is leaning me more that way. The lenses I want are a basic kit lens that will give me a little bit of zoom for when i don't know what I'm going to be shooting, the 50 mm 1.8 , and at some point I would like a marco lens to play around with because I enjoy marco photography. Although I may be able to make do fine with the 50 mm lens has it is just ahobby of mine. I'm not sure about the other zoom lens. I'm sure at some point i might want a longer reaching lens for their sports, but it will not constitute sports photography, just good enough to stick in my photo album.

I have been looking to see if I could find a similar sony deal in that price range. I think the 50 mm lens right off the bat would be helpful to me. I really want a f1.8 or lower and it looks like that is the only lens like that I will be able to afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Canon XS, plus the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens is a very good selection. At some future point you should also consider adding the Canon 55-250mmIS lens. One thing however to keep in mind is that Sony, Olympus, and Pentax have in the camera body IS. In contrast, Canon and Nikon desire to sell you IS, that is resident in each individual lens. So, based on your feelings concerning IS, or Image Stabilization, that may cause one brand to shift position in regard to selecting a camera brand.

Any DSLR camera is going to produce better image quality than a P+S camera. You will see a huge reduction in image noise. The entry level DSLR cameras are purposefully designed to make the transition for P+S very easy. You will find all of the familiar Scene Modes, and the only exception is that for macro or close-up photos where the distance from camera to subject is less than 30," that a Macro lens (a lens with special close focusing properties, will have to be used. Contrary, to what has been stated by Shoturtle, Sony Macro lenses begin at $199, just like those from Olympus.

Switching to a DSLR camera is not at all complicated and you will see a real improvement in image quality and an increase in your own photo knowledge and photo techniques, as well.

Lens prices and selections of lens do vary somewhat. As you might expect, Canon and Nikon have the widest selection of lenses to fit their DSLR cameras.

As soon as I have Bradley up and operating, he is seriously disabled, I will set-up shots to be take with the Olympus E-620 and with the Sony A-230, using different lenses.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce