Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:15 PM   #51
Super Moderator

for starting macro work, you can always add something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_up_Lens.html
to your 50 1.8 and will do pretty well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Canon XS, plus the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens is a very good selection. At some future point you should also consider adding the Canon 55-250mmIS lens. One thing however to keep in mind is that Sony, Olympus, and Pentax have in the camera body IS. In contrast, Canon and Nikon desire to sell you IS, that is resident in each individual lens. So, based on your feelings concerning IS, or Image Stabilization, that may cause one brand to shift position in regard to selecting a camera brand.

Any DSLR camera is going to produce better image quality than a P+S camera. You will see a huge reduction in image noise. The entry level DSLR cameras are purposefully designed to make the transition for P+S very easy. You will find all of the familiar Scene Modes, and the only exception is that for macro or close-up photos where the distance from camera to subject is less than 30," that a Macro lens (a lens with special close focusing properties, will have to be used. Contrary, to what has been stated by Shoturtle, Sony Macro lenses begin at $199, just like those from Olympus.

Switching to a DSLR camera is not at all complicated and you will see a real improvement in image quality and an increase in your own photo knowledge and photo techniques, as well.

Lens prices and selections of lens do vary somewhat. As you might expect, Canon and Nikon have the widest selection of lenses to fit their DSLR cameras.

As soon as I have Bradley up and operating, he is seriously disabled, I will set-up shots to be take with the Olympus E-620 and with the Sony A-230, using different lenses.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Not a 1:1 macro
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
That is a very good idea, it will give you time to see if you want to commit to a dictated marco lens.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:18 PM   #54

In regards to the flash would a kit like this be adequate? http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=6410
my1hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Oh that is neat! I bet that would be fine for my purposes!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1hd View Post
In regards to the flash would a kit like this be adequate? http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=6410
That will give a pretty started kit. The tripods are nice especially if you want to take 1:1 macro shots. Very nice price point.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:21 PM   #57
Super Moderator

Quote:
no, that is a slave flash, not a dedicated flash.

also, stay away from those xx piece kits. they are of low quality. your money is better spent on fewer, better accessories, purchased separate.

once you decide on a camera model, we can help find a flash that fits it well.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:21 PM   #58

One more question. If I do go with the Cannon deal I mentioned. The 50 mm lens does not have IS, but from what I understand that is a smaller lens so holding it steady shouldn't be to much of a problem?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:24 PM   #59

Quote:
One more question. If I do go with the Cannon deal I mentioned. The 50 mm lens does not have IS, but from what I understand that is a smaller lens so holding it steady shouldn't be to much of a problem?
Since it is a short focal length IS is not a big issue, and if you are at F1.8 it will be pretty fast so IS is not a big issue.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:25 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Quote:
it has a fast maximum aperture, so that will help you keep the shutter speeds high enough. you will want to shoot for shutter speeds of 1/50 or faster (1/60 or 1/80 is even better). you can accomplish this by increasing the ISO and/or making the aperture bigger (smaller fstop, aka f1.8, f2.0)