Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:46 PM   #1

Default Looking for suggestions on my SD600 replacement

I currently have a Canon Powershot SD600 camera which has been my absolute favorite camera ever. It has met my every need and taken a major beating in the process and never quit on me in the many years I have owned this camera.

That being said, I have progressed to the stage where I need a camera with a little more capabilities while trying to avoid going to the bulky DLR's as I like having a camera in my pocket and of course the Smart Phone cameras have become great for quick videos and pictures of decent quality. The SD600 lacks the ability to take good shots in low light arena and I need a bit more zoom capabilities for the family photos.

Needs....
- More Zoom
- Better low light shots (I am not a pro I just need some decent shots)
- The smaller the better in my book
- Has to be fairly resilient

I tried a couple of the DLR's but they just did not meet my grab and go nature for a camera.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

WhatToDo
whattodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:05 PM   #2

Whatodo-

Welcome to the forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

In terms of small and low light, my mind shifts to the Canon S-90, a pocket camera that does well in lower light environments, but is on the pricey side. My other thought is the Fuji F-70EXR. It presents a larger learning curve with the EXR system, but it has 27 to 270mm (10X optical zoom) and is selling for less than $200.00.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

my thoughts were pretty much the same.

the s90 is definately the best bet when it comes to additional controls, pocket sized, and is the CLEAR winner for low-light in a compact. but it does not give you an additional zoom.

the f70exr features a great zoom in a pocket-sized camera and a wealth of controls, but if you are looking for something that you can just grab and shoot, this is not it. you have to set it up properly, and switch between these proper settings for different occasions. and be ok with using 5 megapixels (its better than the 10mp setting, trust me). so it takes some work and wrapping your head around the EXR system.

if the zoom is more important than the low-light part. the Panasonic ZR1 may be an option as well, it sports a nice 8x zoom and quite speedy performance.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:43 PM   #4

Default THANKS! FUJI F72 EXR it is...

Thank you both! mtclimber & hards80

This is just perfect and I just so happen to be looking at the F72 EXR today and thought it might be a good fit for my needs covering lighting and zoom. To your point may take a little adjustment here and there for shooting but that is just fine by my as the 10x optical is worth it. Not to mention 10mp pictures which I truly don't need as my wonder 4mp camera has been more than sufficient so this is just a bonus so the 5mp is perfect for those situations.

I sincerely appreciate both of you taking the time to review and answer my inquiry. I am going to purchase the camera today!

Thanks Again!
whattodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodo View Post
Thank you both! mtclimber & hards80

This is just perfect and I just so happen to be looking at the F72 EXR today and thought it might be a good fit for my needs covering lighting and zoom. To your point may take a little adjustment here and there for shooting but that is just fine by my as the 10x optical is worth it. Not to mention 10mp pictures which I truly don't need as my wonder 4mp camera has been more than sufficient so this is just a bonus so the 5mp is perfect for those situations.

I sincerely appreciate both of you taking the time to review and answer my inquiry. I am going to purchase the camera today!

Thanks Again!
we are always glad to help.

have a look at the 2 links in this post for some help on setting up your f72exr.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...eat-sheet.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote