Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:14 AM   #11

John-

This is right off the top of my mind, and I will check it out and confirm it to you, but I seem to recall the HX-1 using the FM-50 battery.

Yes, there is no doubt about it the video on the HX-1 is more impressive than the H-20, and I would expect that the HX-5 video (there are already a few samples out there) will surpass the HX-1. The HX-5 is scheduled to kit dealer shelves around mid March.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12

John-
The Sony HX-1 uses the NP-FH-50 battery.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:32 AM   #13

thank you sarah ,bummer on the battery i have about 5 battery packs here for my mavicas.
i am seriously thinking about the hx 1 now .little less megapixels but doesnt look like quality will suffer any .

i would suspect battery life would be better on the hx 1 too?

heres a question to ponder.

the hx 1 has what sony calls its "g " lens .
the h20 has the carl ziess lens .
will there be better quality pics with the ziess lens?

all my mavicas have a sony lens and they have served me well.

the hx 1 has a bigger wider lens persay?can capture more in the picture than the h20 correct?

hx1 has 1080p which i like .since technology is always moving ahead of us if i buy a h20 now i,ll soon be upgrading if i want that 1080p video.

uhm........can the hx1 take a 640 by 480 picture?i do alot of posting on forums and thats the best resolution for those.

thanks so much for the advice .there will be more questions i,m sure .
johndoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Super Moderator

i would at least wait for a few reviews on the new hx-5. the hx1 was plagued by mediocre image quality, with some noise at all iso and heavy noise reduction smearing detail.

i am hoping the hx5 will get the backlit exemor sensor right. if they do it could be a powerful little camera with a nice 10x g lens, good movie quality with silent autofocus.

don't shoot at 640x480, downsize later. you can always downsize, but can never upsize.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:25 AM   #15

John-

Regarding the lens difference. Based both on reviews and my own personal experience, I find no quality difference between Sony lenses and Zeiss lenses. Initially, Sony wanted a big name on their lenses, so they paid Zeiss a licensing fee to review their lens formulas and to make any of the necessary optical change required. That allowed Sony to call their lenses Zeiss lenses. But Sony has built a good deal of lens experience and I have never had a qualms regarding Sony branded lenses.

The term "G" Lens, comes from their acquisition of Konica Minolta, who had used the designator "G" lens to indicate a superior or upper quality lens.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the HX-1 has a 640 X480 format but I will confirm that to you as well. it would be much better to shoot your E-Bay photos at full resolution and then to downside before you post them on E-Bay. That way you would preserve more image quality. It sounds like the HX-1 would save you that intermediate step with the H-20 camera. A couple of used HX-1 cameras have sold on E-Bay in the last week at $352 and $355.

I purchased the one that sold at $355 yesterday, so As soon as I receive the HX-1 I will become more knowledgeable.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:28 AM   #16

my camera needs are mediocre
i mainly do ebay pictures,family pics,closeups and such .i do not blow pics up,or photoshop them.
so my needs are small.but since we do not own a video camera a good video section is essential for me as i would like to start doing some videos.

i have had sony mavicas for years and i like the sony line of cameras.

out of the 2 (h20-hx-1)which would you say takes the better picture?i do way more pictures than vids but thats to be expected since i dont have a video cam or a camera that does good enough video.

is the hx1 worth the extra 200 dollars vrs the h20?

i want to get the best camera for the buck,dont want to be upgrading again in a year.
thats why i,m starting to lean towards the hx 1 now since it has 1080p video .the h20 does not .

i have seen video taken from the hx1 on you tube in 1080p and its quite impressive.and its in stereo...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Super Moderator

well if you don't blow up your pictures too big. i don't think some of the sensor shortcomings of the hx1 will be a problem.

and the wider angle and bigger zoom of the hx1 will be very useful.

plus as you mentioned the great 1080p video.

for those needs the hx1 may be worth the extra $$
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:35 AM   #18

John-

Yes, I just confirmed that the HX-1 does indeed shoot in the 640 X 480 format. No, my judgement was that the HX-1 was not $240 better than the H-20. So that is why I reduced my investment to $355, which is just $115 more than the H-20 camera.

That way I can experiment and get to know the HX-1 better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 AM   #19

the price on the h20 is hard to pass up on .
i,m not sure the extras are worth another 200 myself for the hx 1 .

i,m sure when something newer comes out the price on this hx1 will come down .

do you now have an h20 you would like to sell?
there should be a buy n sell forum here .
why is there not one?just curious

ps--so i been doing myself wrong taking pictures at 640by480 and then simply uploading them?
i can use higher resolution and then downsize them on imageshack.i used this resolution to avoid having to "mess" with the picture thru software.

Last edited by johndoe03; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:29 PM   #20

John-

Realize that the Sony H-10 is the previous model to the H-20 without HD video. They go for cheap on E-Bay.

Sarah Joyce