Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Replacing SD480...looking for good low-light around $200ish

SD480 finally decided to stop turning on for no apparent reason last month....and now I'm in need of a replacement.

Not looking to do a whole lot with it...mostly point and shoot. HD video would be a definite plus, don't need a ton of optical zoom, and as mentioned in the title, definitely looking for something that will perform well in low light.

As of now have been considering a SD940IS or possibly a lumix series.

Form factor would be my last request....the smaller the better, and would definitely be willing to sacrifice some features for an easily pocketable camera.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

edit: I also wouldn't mind any budget options anyone may have. I'm certainly not hung up on any megapixel number....10 is already more than I really need, as most of my pics are just getting shared with friends and family, or resized and uploaded to the internets. I had also been considering a SD1200IS

Last edited by diab0lik; Jan 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM.
diab0lik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:20 AM   #2

diab0lik-

Welcome to the Forum. We are pleased that you dropped by.

Here in the USA, the Canon SD-1200 is selling for around $(US)150.00. The SD 780 costs a bit more but it does produce HD videos and you can zoom while filming.

Small digicams do not do well with images under low level lighting conditions as a general rule, due to their very small imager size. The Canon S-90 is the best of the lot. It has a much larger imager and can easily handle ISO 800 and producegood image quality. However, as you might expect, it is also very pricey as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:33 PM   #3

Yes, I know the smaller I go, the worse the low light tends to be....I suppose I was just looking for what ultra-compacts perform best in low light.

I will certainly look into the SD780. I believe I had priced the S90 around $400....which would be a bit more than I am even able to spend probably, let alone willing.

Any thoughts on the Lumix ZS3?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the zs3 doesn't make alot of sense since you said you don't need alot of zoom, and that is its major perk.

the ZR1 would be a better choice from Panasonic for your needs, it has an updated image stabilizer and processor. but like the aforementioned compacts from canon, it will not do great in low-light/high iso, but is a step up from canon's in overall performance and will also zoom while HD video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:37 PM   #5

The only glitch with the ZS-1, ZS-3, and the ZR-1 is that they have very small, and weak built-in flash units, making indoor photos problematic.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:48 PM   #6

Hmm, good to know.

Well I guess I'm leaning towards the 780IS or 1200IS as of right now, both can be had for very reasonable deals.

Any other compact suggestions that are on the higher end of low light performance?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:32 PM   #7

The best low light P+S camera is the Canon S-90 at around $390.00, which puts it out of your price range. Low light level shooting is really one of the prime features of DSLR cameras which have imagers that are around 15X larger.

If you are experienced and are willing to deal with a learning curve and using manual settings, the Fuji F-70 EXR is also a possibility.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:15 PM   #8

I have a bit of experience, and consider myself a highly tech friendly user, willing to deal with a learning curve.

I'll look into the F-70 EXR....thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diab0lik View Post
I have a bit of experience, and consider myself a highly tech friendly user, willing to deal with a learning curve.

I'll look into the F-70 EXR....thanks again for all the suggestions!
if you do go that route, check out the Fujifilm forum, i have put some helpful threads on setting it up, as well as some sample images there.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fujifilm-22/
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:29 PM   #10

yeah F-70 EXR is pretty good
photograham is offline   Reply With Quote