Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:43 AM   #11

Here's an interesting discussion on remote control of an A700. It'a actually more of a journal of his attempts to do this:

Remote control of A700 from PC via USB
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Administrator

I dunno about that thread. One of the posters has a very familiar looking face from what I can see of the Avatar photos. Hmm... Post office "Most Wanted" list perhaps?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13

I think I know who you mean. I wouldn't trust him either. But the rest of the thread is pretty good.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14

welcome..you sure have some great advise from this group

One think I've learned from them is 'there is no perfect' camera. Somewhere you'll compromise..and you will need to decided where.

But I have a question...what is tethered shooting???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
But I have a question...what is tethered shooting???
Connecting the camera to a computer (or other external display), composing and taking the shot from the external display instead of the viewfinder or LCD Display. It tends to be limited for dSLRs, since you can't remotely control zoom and composition (unless you wnat to do what's described in Remote control of A700 from PC via USB.)
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:46 AM   #16

camera that have mini hdmi makes it allot easier to set up on a display with hdmi inputs. What the lcd see is what the display sees. Camera to PC requires software,
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
camera that have mini hdmi makes it allot easier to set up on a display with hdmi inputs. ...
Good point. Many cameras use the video-out port for USB (or the USB port for video-out ), so using the same port precludes controlling the camera and using an external display at the same time.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Yup, I tried it with my t1i, 3 dollar mini hdmi to hdmi cable from amazon and it work like a charm with my 65inch hdtv.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:20 PM   #19

I had a camera that could do tethered shooting (i.e., hooking up the camera to a computer for immediate download and in some cases where the computer can control the camera), thought it would be interesting. Downloaded the software and took a quick look at it, but decided that it was more bother than it was worth. I never bothered to hook up the camera or use it - the idea of more cables and the limited distance between camera and computer discouraged me. It's just as easy to take a couple of shots, insert the card into a card reader and transfer the files. I wouldn't use that as a buy/not buy criteria, but someone who has a studio set up and their primary camera use is in that setting might feel differently as having the camera automatically download the file to your hard drive would save one step.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:10 AM   #20

i had the idea to set the camera up in the garden and use a 5m usb cable and control the camera (pointing at a bird table) using my laptop.
however the computer does not see the camera when using the long cable with my D90, but it works fine on short cables
i tried my casio P&S camera with the 5m cable and that worked just fine, unfortunatly i have no software to use with that lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote