Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:45 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i had the idea to set the camera up in the garden and use a 5m usb cable and control the camera (pointing at a bird table) using my laptop.
however the computer does not see the camera when using the long cable with my D90, but it works fine on short cables.
If all you need to do is trigger the shutter (using a mode that allows the camera to control exposure, etc.) versus needing to transfer images as you take them, you could get a wireless shutter release and use it with your D90. I'd get a RF type release versus Infrared.

You can find a number of them on the market now. Note that the D5000 and D90 won't work with most of them designed for other Nikon models (due to a different type of connector needed). But, you can still find them. Here's one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i had the idea to set the camera up in the garden and use a 5m usb cable and control the camera (pointing at a bird table) using my laptop.
however the computer does not see the camera when using the long cable with my D90, but it works fine on short cables
i tried my casio P&S camera with the 5m cable and that worked just fine, unfortunatly i have no software to use with that lol
Five meters is the maximum length of an unpowered USB connection. If one end of the cable is plugged directly into the computer (or powered USB hub) and the other end is plugged directly into the device (or powered USB hub) then everything should work fine. But if you needed to use an adapter of some kind, you exceeded the 5 meter limit, and it probably won't work. The D90 uses a Mini-USB connector, and to my knowledge, no one makes a 5 meter cable with a Mini-USB 'B' connector on one end and a regular USB 'A' connector on the other. You'd probably have needed to use an adapter of some sort and that would have exceeded the 5 meter limit.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:51 AM   #23

JimC
my plan was to use live view to try and get the best shot, it was more an experiment than anything.

TCav
i dont remember where i got it from, somewhere in the UK, but its definatly a 5m USB with mini on one end and normal on the other.
it has to be the length though, my P&S worked on the cable, the nikon worked only with a shorter cable, odd
Attached Images

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:10 AM   #24
Administrator

You can also find USB extenders. You'll find some of them in this search:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

I've also seen wireless USB Extenders advertised before. But, I have no experience with any of them to know how well they'd work.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote