Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:20 PM   #11

And the HX-5.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
Hi all! The term 'paralysis by analysis' is from the fire service. Those guys have to make the biggest decisions early in an event, when they have the least amount of information. Or sometimes they don't - hence the term. But enough of that...

So the $400 camera is a step above a $200 camera with the same or similar sensor because of lens capabilities and/or quality and its post-processing ability.

And comparison between a big-zoom bridge camera and an entry-level dslr is an apples-to-oranges approach. For another $100 we gain a huge sensor that we can't do so much with, given a simple kit lens, unless we have a longer term plan to invest much more $$$.

My post-processing abilities are limited to photo-shop elements, and frankly limited even more since I can barely use the auto correct features and clone-stamp tool. Perhaps a dslr is not where I want to be.

Sounds like a bridge camera is what I am. The FZ-35 has a nice price and feature set, while the SX20 is tempting as well. Since I'm planning ahead for a vacation, I'll wait to see the newer models comming out as MtClimr suggested - the SX300 or others.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim,

The simple kit lenses are quite good lenses. And you can do allot with them. Don't short change them because they are kit lenses.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:07 PM   #13

Default About those dslrs

This is a bit embarrasing, but I guess everyone already knows I don't know much about these things - how does one carry a dslr? I am intrigued by the potential from such a fine instrument, but I'm concerned about the portability of such a device.

Say I try a small bodied slr with an 18-55mm lens, leaving all but a spare battery at home. Could the bag fit on my belt? Shoulder? Trailer?

Thanks

Jim
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:10 PM   #14

They have fanny packs type bags that will fit the small dslr with lens in it without issue. Or you can get a semi soft case and wear the strap and camera like a small shoulder bag, or man bag as I like to call it.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:29 PM   #15

Don't forget the "European Shoulder Bag".

Seems like my family had a camera whose case partially mounted to the camera (this was a long time ago). The case would wrap around the body, and provide a snap mount for a cover over the lens and upper camera body- snap it loose and shoot away! The whole assembly hung around the neck. Do they make anything like that these days?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:36 PM   #16

I do not soft coat it, it is a man bag. I have one, I am not ashamed of it. I know comfortable with my masculinity, not one bit unsecured about it

Actually I use one of those on my T1i for my walking around the city, it is zippered and velcro now. and I added a neoprene strap with quick connect to make thing simpler.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:42 PM   #17

Did you mean something like this
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:53 PM   #18

That's more like it. Reasonably form-fitting, no excess bulk. Where does one find a bag like that? The bags I've noticed look like a person could put a few extra lenses in there along with a change of clothes.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:55 PM   #19

I got it in Germany last nov at a german best buy type store. You should be able to find them at a best buy or a good camera shop. It was not that expensive 14 US dollars, 10 euros.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:00 PM   #20

You can also try ebay. They have neoprene ones that just fits the camera.