Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:38 PM   #1

Default Will Micro SD cards work ok?

Hi all,
I did it this afternoon - since all the kids felt better and were in school - I took the plunge and got the F70 YAY!!

Now the battery is charging and once the little ones are in bed I will play... except one thing.... SD cards... I have a small - 512MB one... but Walmart and TigerDirect have specials on 4GB and 8GB MicroSDs class 2 or 4 with adapters... seems like a good deal, but will these work ok in the camera or will they be slow because of the adapter - am I better getting a regular SD class 4 card? Is Class 2 good enough?
Guy in the camera store tried to convince me to get class 6 as I NEED that - but I wouldn't be pressured..
Now for experienced opinions...
So excited to play with my new toy!!
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:44 PM   #2

nech-

I would use a regular SD card. I you be taking a lot of videos or Burst Mode shot, then you will need a class 6 card. Otherwise the cheapest SD card you can find on sale from a know manufacturer will do fine.

Congratulations on your new camera. Enjoy!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:48 PM   #3

If you plan on doing HD a sandisk Ultra II class 4 will work depending on the size of the buffer. But I would defiantly get at-least a class 4 card if you are shooting any video. But if you are shooting only photos, a class 2 will work. I have used a micro sd in my camcorder class 4 and it worked fine, but it did not need an adopter. The mirco SD are not as durable as the SDHC. I would get a 8gb if you are doing allot of video, 4gb is you are only doing photos. You would want a class 6 if you were doing high burst rate photos for action shots. Not sure if that is something the camera or you want to do.

And congrats

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:08 PM   #4

thanks for the answers - probably will get class 4 SD now to find the best price... Is it true the card is FAT so I am best to stick to 4GB to prevent corruption or you think 8 is ok? Wouldn't want to lose pics..
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:17 PM   #5

I have a 8gb class sdhc card, not issues.

You may want to check out amazon for a sdhc chip, but avoid ebay for memory cards.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:31 PM   #6

probably will go local here in canada... 8GB class 4 $20 class 6 $35 worth the diff?
I prob wouldn't go for class 2 but is the jump between class 4 and 6 worth $15 - I want to get at least 2 cards... I can get another card for the diff in price.

depending... wouldn't be worth shipping on such a small thing...shipping sometimes almost more than the item
Won't be doing LOTS of video - but want to be able to...

Last edited by nech770; Jan 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM.