Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
One thing that you said is making me lean towards the NX10. You said one of your primary interests is in portraits. This makes me lean towards the NX10 for the larger APS-C sensor, which allows you much more control over depth of field than the m4/3 systems. It's difficult to get a nice shallow dof with the smaller m4/3 sensors. And with you living in Korea, you should have the earliest opportunity to grab an NX10.

If the portraiture is not a big priority, then for the other types of shooting you do, the m4/3 would be a great choice. especially with your Zuikos you have.
That is what I am wondering about. Exactly how much deeper 4/3 portraits have to be? I can't find direct comparisons of both formats. Another thing is, as of now NX10 got only 30 f2 and 18-55 f3.5. 30 might be nice, but a bit short (45mm) for portraits. 4/3 has more options, plus I have Zuiko 50 f1.4 and this one would be probably best bet for shallow DOF (little long on 4/3, but doable).As portraits are only small part, I still can get other Canon FD or Olympus just for that specific type, where AF is not critical.
Calboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:25 PM   #12
Super Moderator

i am not sure the exact difference in dof at a given distane/focallength/aperture, but i know it is a pretty substantial difference. but yes having the 50 1.4 will offset some of that difference vs he 30 f2.

though keep in mind the NX10 has a short flang distance as well, so there will be adapters for all those manual focus lenses soon for it as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:25 PM   #13

http://photorumors.com/2009/09/27/fu...thirds-camera/

It seems Fuji is joining the micro 4/3 also. No rumours about other competitors yet. Hooray for micro 4/3!

Calboy, personally, based on your concerns and doubts, I feel you should just wait til the NX is launched. Your concerns are well thought out, esp for new comers intending to buy-in into the mirrrorless systems. You currently already own a 40D/5D, so owning another camera is not a top priority (correct me if I am wrong).

So like mtclimber said, just sit back, watch the new joiners and products, then set a cut-off date, and make your shortlist then and decide it is also in own best interest to wait to make an informed decision.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:54 AM   #14

Thanks, Justin-

Yes, when we get close to PMA, there will probably be lots of new camera announcements in the m4/3 and near m4/3 mirrorless cameras niche.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:35 AM   #15

Most cameras look real good on specs but once they are tested, the limitations,flaws and glitches come out and all of a sudden, the specs become irrelevant. I can't list how many cameras got me excited after reading their specs only to get real disappointed once they were made available because they fail to perform as expected. I bought the G1 after seeing and reading so many great posts out there and it did not fail to amaze me. So much so that I went ahead and sold my Sony DSLR gear. Then I got so excited that I went ahead and bought the EP1 as well. Although it's a good camera, it is not great and I find the G1 far superior. As for shallow DoF, the greatest thing about the m4/3 system is that one can use all sorts of legacy lenses with it and obtain great results. Sure dealing with MF is not for every one but if you don't mind its limitations, you'll find the G1 to do amazing things with legacy lenses. The Cnon FD 50mm f1.4 is a great example of a MF lens that will produce very shallow DoF and if you want to stick to AF, the Lumix 20mm f1.7 is a wonderful little lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:03 AM   #16

Congratulations, Tullio-

You are having a ball with the G-1 and with legacy lenses. That is great. Enjoy!

The G-1 is a real classic camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:17 AM   #17

Yes, Sarah, I truly am having a blast with the G1. I might sell the EP1 though since it is not an easy camera to shoot with MF lenses due to its poor MF assist implementation. So, if in one hand the in-body IS helps, on the other the unfriendly MF assist and lack of a viewfinder makes manual focusing a challenging task for people like myself who need to wear reading glasses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Congratulations, Tullio-

You are having a ball with the G-1 and with legacy lenses. That is great. Enjoy!

The G-1 is a real classic camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Hi all. I, too, got a G1, with some new Panasonic MFT lenses, and I, too, am having an absolute ball with it.

Ciao!
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks, Justin-

Yes, when we get close to PMA, there will probably be lots of new camera announcements in the m4/3 and near m4/3 mirrorless cameras niche.

Sarah Joyce
That I am thinking as well. Samsung is launching tomorrow (Jan 27) and I will have chance soon to check it out. Now, and don't quote me on that, GH2 might not be coming yet. I don't know how reliable they are, but I exchange mail with team leader from Panasonic Korea sales dept. Since they didn't have GH1 I ask if they are planning to import GH2. his answer was, that yes, they will release the camera same time as Japan, which is...late summer. As I said, I have no clue, how reliable they are, but it just might be true that PMA will only reveal G2 and GH2 is farther down the road. Also I've already seen NX to M43 adapters, so I am sure soon Samsung owners will be able to mount any lens on NX10, there goes another M43 advantage. Regardless of all, is nice to be in the market for new cam today. Thanks again all for your advice.
Calboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calboy87 View Post
Hi. Pretty much narrow this to those two: either any 4/3 (today would be Panasonic GH1) or Samsung NX. I know that NX is huge unknown, but I looking for comparing APS-C sensor with 4/3. How big difference would I see? I am satisfied with the pictures from 4/3 I,ve seen so far, but I am missing something here? Thank you
Im in the exact same boat. The decision between the G1 and the NX. Im waiting for a review from a field tested NX before I made any decisions.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote