Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:04 PM   #21

Bynx-

I would certainly agree 100%. Samsung does not have a fantastic track record on producing upper level cameras. The good news is that there will be other APS-C EVIL cameras we are supposed to see from other major camera manufacturers.

So fasten your seat belt and we will await the new camera announcements in this EVIL APS-C size imager market niche. The rumor is that Sony, Nikon, Canon and even Kodak will have announcements for this market niche.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Im in the exact same boat. The decision between the G1 and the NX. Im waiting for a review from a field tested NX before I made any decisions.
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the G1 that is not appealing? It's small, well built, produces excellent results, it offers lots of features and it's been around for over a year, so it's capabilities are well known. The only thing missing is video. For that, the options are either the GH1 or the EP1/EP2. Add to that the infinite number of adapters available for m4/3, which allow just about any vintage lens to be used with the G1 and we have a winner. As for the NX, it's a huge unknown and since it won't standardize on m4/3, it will be a while before people can make use of their vintage lenses and once they can, it's also unknown how well they will work with the system. The m4/3 is awesome in that respect.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:08 AM   #23

I share Tullio's view on the G1 or any micro 4/3 camera for that matter. But the fact that something new is coming (e.g. NX), our curiosity gets the better of us and there are some that wouldn't mind waiting to see what is in store before committing.

I am happy with my GF1, but my girlfriend loves it more than I do, that it is always with her

I guess perhaps another (OMG!) purchase down the road for her/me - depending on how you see it

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:55 AM   #24

Yes, I suppose you're right, Justin. It's just that I would understand the wait if there wasn't anything good (worth the money) available. Let's put this way, the NX was unveiled in March 2009. That's almost a year ago and there's still no signs of it. People waiting for it have missed the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the m4/3 system during all this time.

Tullio
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:26 PM   #25
Super Moderator

We should start getting more info on the NX soon. I think it hit shelves in Korea either yesterday or today.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:33 PM   #26

Personally, I don't believe this camera will be that great of a hit. Size-wise it is not much smaller than the new DSLR generations (D5000, Kx, etc.). It's a proprietary format and unless the camera performs well above anyone's expectations and the reviews are nothing but excellent, I think they'll have a hard time conquering a significant amount of market share.

Tullio
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:48 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Personally, I don't believe this camera will be that great of a hit. Size-wise it is not much smaller than the new DSLR generations (D5000, Kx, etc.). It's a proprietary format and unless the camera performs well above anyone's expectations and the reviews are nothing but excellent, I think they'll have a hard time conquering a significant amount of market share.
that may be true. the problem is the proprietary format and not having a long-standing camera manufacturer backing it. the size though is about that of a G1, albeit the lenses will no doubt be larger. I would not count Samsung out though, they are a gigantic company.

Either way, its good for the genre, competition is always good and the m4/3 hasn't had any til now.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Sounds exactly like the G1 when it was released.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:30 PM   #29

Well this is the first samsung camera with changeable lenses, not a rebranded pentax. So we shall see if it is as good as the big camera makes.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
that may be true. the problem is the proprietary format and not having a long-standing camera manufacturer backing it. the size though is about that of a G1, albeit the lenses will no doubt be larger. I would not count Samsung out though, they are a gigantic company.

Either way, its good for the genre, competition is always good and the m4/3 hasn't had any til now.
Yes, I agree here with you. Proprietary mount might be a problem, but if Samsung come up with JUST another 4/3 I am sure it would sink. Their advantage, IMHO, is APS-C sensor and maybe as such, new lenses with sizes between DLSR and 4/3 required different mount? Also I am positive in 2-3 months you will be able to mount any lens on NX10, just like 4/3. Making 0.17 USD metal adapter and selling it for 20-30 USD is just too good deal to pass on it. Although lenses-wise, will see how good are those coming out now.Prices are similar to 4/3 which is nod bad, considering they have to cover bigger sensor.Also their sizes are not much bigger, quality is to be seen. Samsung is a giant in Korea, they make cars, electronics and many other things I probably will never use. They flop NX camera first time around, but if they put their muscles behind, even if they won't succeed they will put lot of pressure on other companies price-wise. All of this will make me watch them with interest. If I have a chance to check out the new cam I will share my observation here.
Calboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote