Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:56 AM   #1

Default 4/3 or Samsung NX

Hi. Pretty much narrow this to those two: either any 4/3 (today would be Panasonic GH1) or Samsung NX. I know that NX is huge unknown, but I looking for comparing APS-C sensor with 4/3. How big difference would I see? I am satisfied with the pictures from 4/3 I,ve seen so far, but I am missing something here? Thank you
Calboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:08 AM   #2

The grass is always greener on the other side, or it seems to be

If you can wait til the NX is made available, then wait to make a decision. If not, it is best to just settle for a 4/3 or micro 4/3 camera now - as by then (launch of NX), other 4/3, micro 4/3 or mirrorless cameras will be out to further confuse you.

What is your requirements and expectation of your eventual camera purchase?

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:19 AM   #3

I am mostly day shooter, landscapes, portraits, nature. I was using 40D, then 5D got fed up with lugging all the lenses, tripod. Now I am looking for something light, with decent IQ and video (first time for me). As I live in Korea, Samsung would seem the perfect choice, but...I am not sure how they will proceed from here. Many reviews already pop out on Korean web sites and to be honest they all look good, sharp with nice color and low noise. However, i don't really see the difference between both systems as i.e. APS-C and FF in DSLR world. Also there is question of lenses, 4/3 have more, WA, which I am interested in is of excellent quality (7-14) and I had some Zuikos I was using with 5D which I can use with Panasonic. Being familiar with Samsung I am sure they put lot's of though to this move, but I believe in next 12 months this will be cutthroat business in the camera world with Nikon, Canon, Sony coming with their own versions. I am leaning strongly toward 4/3 with a year of period time to see what else is happening. As much as I like to have APS-C size sensor I think is too early to jump on Korean wagon. But maybe someone can convince me that there would be big benefit of using larger sensor, since that was my original post.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:24 AM   #4

You will have to wait till March/April before we will know anything really about the NX. It looks interesting. But if size is a factor, I think the m4/3 will be more compact. From all details out so far, the NX has a smaller evf then the GF1. So that may be a factor if you wear glasses. So if you want a camera now, go with the 4/3 cameras.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:30 AM   #5

There is a lot of good information thus far from a few very knowledgeable folks. Personally, as a m4/3 user, myself (Panasonic G-1) I think that a lot of things will occur in the m4/3 and the near m4/3 market niche in the next 2 to 3 months.

There will be lots of camera introductions from the likes of Canon, Nikon, Sony, Kodak, and perhaps Fuji as well. Moving beyond the camera introductions, we will next have to await the professional reviews. Those steps are going to take time.

So, my opinion is this: now is a time to stand fast and wait for the new camera introductions to happen and for the professional reviews to take place before making any other move. A lot could change as that process plays out.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Hi Calboy,

It seems you have answered your own doubts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calboy87 View Post
I was using 40D, then 5D got fed up with lugging all the lenses, tripod. Now I am looking for something light, with decent IQ and video (first time for me).
This points to a 4/3 or micro 4/3 system: GH1, GF1, EP-1, EP-2 or even the Olympus E-series (not sure if they do video)

Quote:
However, i don't really see the difference between both systems as i.e. APS-C and FF in DSLR world. Also there is question of lenses, 4/3 have more, WA, which I am interested in is of excellent quality (7-14) and I had some Zuikos I was using with 5D which I can use with Panasonic.
If you don't pixel peep or print big printouts, then regardless of system, you should be happy with the results. Every system has its pro's and con's, know what it is and be content with it - it's the same with daily life, you'll be happier that way

Quote:
Nikon, Canon, Sony coming with their own versions. I am leaning strongly toward 4/3 with a year of period time to see what else is happening.
I don't know what the other manufacturers are doing, possibly their own mirrorless system - I am not sure if they are joining micro 4/3 or making their own proprietary system like Samsung's NX.

It will be the best interest for all parties if they joined micro 4/3 instead of creating their own, for the sake of healthy competition - resulting in more lenses, more advancement in technology etc. This also may sideline Samsung's NX system

Quote:
But maybe someone can convince me that there would be big benefit of using larger sensor, since that was my original post.
Only you can convince yourself, but your very first few sentences already state that you are tired of the weight of a lenses and tripod - so it seems that your heart is content with the micro 4/3 system offerings, but your head says think it through - which you have somewhat already answered also

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Super Moderator

One thing that you said is making me lean towards the NX10. You said one of your primary interests is in portraits. This makes me lean towards the NX10 for the larger APS-C sensor, which allows you much more control over depth of field than the m4/3 systems. It's difficult to get a nice shallow dof with the smaller m4/3 sensors. And with you living in Korea, you should have the earliest opportunity to grab an NX10.

If the portraiture is not a big priority, then for the other types of shooting you do, the m4/3 would be a great choice. especially with your Zuikos you have.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:09 PM   #8

Quote:
I am mostly day shooter, landscapes, portraits, nature. I was using 40D, then 5D got fed up with lugging all the lenses, tripod. Now I am looking for something light, with decent IQ and video (first time for me). As I live in Korea, Samsung would seem the perfect choice, but...I am not sure how they will proceed from here. Many reviews already pop out on Korean web sites and to be honest they all look good, sharp with nice color and low noise. However, i don't really see the difference between both systems as i.e. APS-C and FF in DSLR world. Also there is question of lenses, 4/3 have more, WA, which I am interested in is of excellent quality (7-14) and I had some Zuikos I was using with 5D which I can use with Panasonic. Being familiar with Samsung I am sure they put lot's of though to this move, but I believe in next 12 months this will be cutthroat business in the camera world with Nikon, Canon, Sony coming with their own versions. I am leaning strongly toward 4/3 with a year of period time to see what else is happening. As much as I like to have APS-C size sensor I think is too early to jump on Korean wagon. But maybe someone can convince me that there would be big benefit of using larger sensor, since that was my original post.
Well I can related about lugging a large slr around, I just switch over form a EOS 1 to my first dslr EOS 500/T1i. It is a big change. But I still find myself needing something more compact. I am heavily considering a M4/3 camera like the EP-2. And from what I have heard, there will be more lenses coming out for the M4/3 with the upcoming show.

Also if you still have your 5D or 40D, Dof is not that much of a concern, you can use these for your portraits and keep a m4/3 for you travels. My 500D is for shooting trips where I bring a monopole or tripod. When I get my m4/3 it will be my wife and my travel companion. No one camera is a perfect fit in my opinion.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:15 PM   #9

Well, I own the Pentax K20D which uses a Samsung APS-C sensor, and it's better than my Olympus E-P1, but not by much. There seems to be more headroom in the raw files of the K20D, meaning I can adjust exposure much more than on my E-P1 files. However, if the exposures are good, then the images are very similar up to ISO1600. There's more noise in the E-P1, but it cleans up nicely and I have no qualms about using it at ISO1600. The K20D at ISO1600 is very nice, and I've shot ISO2500 with no regrets and little noise (if the exposure is perfect). Whether or not this translates to the Samsung APS-C sensor in their new camera, we'll see. I suspect it will be about the same as the difference between the K20D and E-P1.

The other thing is that the size difference between the 4/3 sensor and the APS-C sensor makes it harder to get a really thin depth of field on the 4/3 sensor than on the APS-C. That will be true regardless of image quality since that's a function of the physical size of the sensor and you can't control that.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinY View Post
Hi Calboy,

It seems you have answered your own doubts:

This points to a 4/3 or micro 4/3 system: GH1, GF1, EP-1, EP-2 or even the Olympus E-series (not sure if they do video)

I don't know what the other manufacturers are doing, possibly their own mirrorless system - I am not sure if they are joining micro 4/3 or making their own proprietary system like Samsung's NX.

It will be the best interest for all parties if they joined micro 4/3 instead of creating their own, for the sake of healthy competition - resulting in more lenses, more advancement in technology etc. This also may sideline Samsung's NX system

Justin.
I don't think there is significant size disadvantage for NX10. Dimensions are very similar to GH1 and lenses.
Samsung ----------------------------------------------- Pansonic/Oly

30 (45) = 61.5 x 21.5mm = 85g--------------------- 20 (40) = 63 x 25.5mm = 100g

18-55 (27-72) = 63 x 65.1mm = 198g-------------- 14-45 (28-90) = 60 x 60mm = 195g

50-200 (72-350) = 70 x 100.5mm = 417g------------- 45-200 (90-400) = 70 x 100mm = 380g
I made this comparison, as many people was putting down Samsung saying the cam is huge with lenses. When checked the lens sizes are very similar except telephoto, but I guess that was to be expected.
I wish also that everybody was on the 4/3 platform, but I am sure both Nikon and Canon will haver their own versions of it, questions is - how good will they be?

Last edited by Calboy87; Jan 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM.