Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Owatagt,

Sounds like you have hit the wall, anyone of the camera you listed are very good cameras, and they are on the high end of the bridge camera food chain. The canon SX1 is a better camera then the SX20, but there is allot of confusion about the SX line. Do not know how bias the each reviewer was that wrote those reviews. But honestly they are all pretty equal. But base on photos I seen, here and on other sites. My eye really like the results of the FZ35. But the sony and canon are equally good. To do all you want, it would require a dslr with different lenses. And from your post, that is not something you are looking for. So my vote is the FZ35.

If you get a chance bring a sd card with you to a store that carry all three. Take some photos in the store and go home and see which ones pictures you like more and which one seems has the best control layout for you.

Awesome idea.. you rock!!! thanks bunches
owataqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:25 PM   #12

Smile, thanks, good luck with your decision. And keep us posted.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:09 AM   #13

I think you might have to step outside the $250 price range to get a more decent camera. Personally, I'd go with the Panasonic LX3 (or the Canon S90). The LX3 starts at 24mm, which is pretty wide and will allow you to take those shots in confined spaces. It has an awesome, very fast Leica lens (f2.0 - f2.8), it's compact and IQ is comparable to entry level DSLRs. The only thing is, it does not have the reach of the FZ35 as it's only 2.5x zoom. However, because IQ is so good, you can definitely crop the heck of the image and still end up with a good quality photo. The S90 is a similar type of camera. It has a bit more zoom (3.8x) but the lens is much slower as you zoom out (f2.0-f4.9). In terms of IQ, it fall behind the S90 but not by much. Both cameras are around $400.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by owataqt View Post
I picked cameras before because they were cute looking, or I liked the color. Heck I didnt know what I needed. When someone told me I should go and hire a landscape photographer for my work, because I take such lousy photos. I thought nooooooooooo way, I just dont have the right camera.. I dont want perfection and I am not asking for photography style photos.. but just some nice shots here and there.. sharper and more crisper then what I have in my portfolio.. LOL

Heres my list of cameras.. dont laugh!!! none work, and all in my kitchen drawer still ...

Cannon PowerShot A50
Cannon Powershot A560
Casio Exilim sorry, I cant read the little number on it.. my eyes are now going bad right along with the headache I have from researching.. LOL
Kodak z730
and the one I bought 2 months ago.. which no matter how much I recharge and change the main battery.. it wont come on!!!
Kodak M380( I thought took really really bad photos.. all grainy looking!!!

I think from my list you could probably just gage on your own why they didnt work.. LOL
Yes indeed, we can guage on our own why they didn't work. I'm sure you've heard the term 'organic' before. Well, there is an organic component to the function of these cameras, and I suspect we need to get the two in sync. From a newbie to a newbie, here we go:

Most any camera, certainly the Powershot A50 and A560, can take a great picture when we have bright light conditions. In low light conditions the automatic modes make the camera squint, reducing the quality of the photo. It's necessary, because otherwise we couldn't get a photo at all.

The better cameras can do more with less light. But this too can be a problem when we consider the organic component, remining me of another phrase - 'don't throw gasoline on a fire'.

I think this is why Sarah was reluncant to throw out recommendations without better understanding the disconnect between organic and digital.

In closing, look at cameras made by FisherP, and also take a look at the forums on getting the most out of a camera.

Good luck!

Iowa_jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Owatagt,

Sounds like you have hit the wall, anyone of the camera you listed are very good cameras, and they are on the high end of the bridge camera food chain. The canon SX1 is a better camera then the SX20, but there is allot of confusion about the SX line. Do not know how bias the each reviewer was that wrote those reviews. But honestly they are all pretty equal. But base on photos I seen, here and on other sites. My eye really like the results of the FZ35. But the sony and canon are equally good. To do all you want, it would require a dslr with different lenses. And from your post, that is not something you are looking for. So my vote is the FZ35.

If you get a chance bring a sd card with you to a store that carry all three. Take some photos in the store and go home and see which ones pictures you like more and which one seems to have the best control layout for you.
Thanks for your input.. I ended up purchasing the Sx20 by Canon.. and love it.. of course tons to learn.. and being a complete newbie at this.. but, did try some moon shots last night for the very first time!!! love love love the camera so far.. But now guess what?? possibly wishing I had stepped up to a Dslr now.. LOL TT1 I think??? oh well... I do love this camera.. just wanted to thank you for your help.

I took the moon shots.. free hand, no tripod... today purchased an external flash. Hoping to try it again tonight!!!
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:56 PM   #16

congrats, it is a very nice shot of the moon. Which flash did you get for the sx20?

Well a dslr will be a bigger step up. I think you were referring to the canon T1i. That is what I shoot and it is a great camera also.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:04 PM   #17

Quote:
congrats, it is a very nice shot of the moon. Which flash did you get for the sx20?

Well a dslr will be a bigger step up. I think you were referring to the canon T1i. That is what I shoot and it is a great camera also.
LOL, your right.. to big of a step for me.. okay one day!!! hehehee
I purchased the 270ex canon.. wow is that thing tiny winy!!! I think that is what its called. Shooot wanted to get the 4 something but was afraid it would be too big looking for my camera.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:12 PM   #18

the canon 430ex II is the one I think you are referring to, that is a very good flash. It will do bounce flash. It is a very nice flash, but you will need to read up on how to properly bounce the light off a light color ceiling or wall.

The 270ex is a good flash for bridge camera. It is not that big compare to the 430ex II.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:25 AM   #19

Congratulations on your new Canon SX-20 camera, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote