Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Default extended warranty - is it worth it?

Ok guys another question for you seasoned camera buyers... is getting the extended warranty worth it?
warranty on a $250 camera - my Fuji F70 - $60 for 5 yrs replacement etc... now the fuji in canada has a 2 yr warranty.... but is it it a good idea to get the extended one?
What are your experiences? I was thinking in 2 yrs once the warranty is up for $60 I could put it towards a better camera....
Thoughts?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:15 PM   #2

well I have an 5yr extended warranty on my DSLR and it was 100 dollars and the camera was 729 dollars. If you are planning to keep this camera for more then 5 years it seems like it is worth it. If the lcd goes, that is 100 dollars to replace. But if you plan to upgrade your point and shoot in say 3 years. I would for go the warranty. I have a tendency to keep my gear for a long time. Last slr I still use, and it is 15 years old

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3

I think they are a waste of money unless they provide for accidental damage as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I think they are a waste of money unless they provide for accidental damage as well.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah,
My thought too.... but then my husband said I should consider it... but I am now replacing a canon a40 - almost 9 yrs old.... and it works just fine... just it is a little slow shot to shot and the kids move so fast.... so it was time for an upgrade...
So far the f70 is a nice camera... takes some getting used to not having a viewfinder.... keep getting blurry shots til I figure out how to hold the camera more steady...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:52 AM   #5

Good Morning, Nech-

Yes, I would be first to agree. The Fuji F-70EXR does indeed take some getting used to it. But it sounds like you are off to an excellent beginning.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:15 PM   #6

Since I replace my cameras fairly often (with a very few exceptions), buying an extended warranty is an absolute waste of money (like Sarah said), specially if it's an inexpensive camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote