Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:47 PM   #1

Default Canon 1000D or Used 40D?

Hi im looking to buy my first DSLR, I have used my mums cameras for a long time now and feel that it is now time for me to buy my own. Should i buy a used 40D of eBay from Canons outlet store (it come with a warranty etc ) or should i get a 1000D brand new?
gibsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:00 PM   #2

Well it depends on what you are looking for. The 40D is a better camera then the 1000D in almost every way. If you shoot sports, the higher burst rate of the 40D would come in handy. But both are limited in their low light ablitiy with a 1600iso max. They both are 10mp camera. There is a allot more bells and whistle on the 40D.

With the 1000D you are getting the most basic model that canon has out there right now. It is a good entry level dslr. But there is a reason it is price so low. It does not offer allot of features.

What is the price difference between the two? And what is your budget? Also what do you like to shoot?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:10 PM   #3

A move to the Canon XSi could even improve things, and not cost much more.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Well it depends on what you are looking for. The 40D is a better camera then the 1000D in almost every way. If you shoot sports, the higher burst rate of the 40D would come in handy. But both are limited in their low light ablitiy with a 1600iso max. They both are 10mp camera. There is a allot more bells and whistle on the 40D.

With the 1000D you are getting the most basic model that canon has out there right now. It is a good entry level dslr. But there is a reason it is price so low. It does not offer allot of features.

What is the price difference between the two? And what is your budget? Also what do you like to shoot?
The two cameras will both be around 400 (Thats a guess for the 40D as the eBay auctions im watching haven't yet finished so i cant create an average yet! I want the camera to be good in most situations and but im really like shooting outdoors, portraits, and very creative shots. I will be getting a lens baby aswell soon.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:32 PM   #5

with indoors the 40d, 1000d and even the 450D may run into issues with only having 1600iso may be limiting, but it seems that you ae not looking to shoot in low light so that should not be an issue. All three camera's will meet your needs.

I do fine the 40D to be a bit heavy I like the lighter cameras as I walk around with them allot. But between the 1000D and the 40D if you get them for the same price, I would go with the 40D.

If it was the 450D and the 40D it would be tougher. the 450D has the better sensor. The 40D more features.

But I doubt you will get the refreb 40D for under 600 pounds. It is going for 600 euros in germany. So if the 40D get bid out of your budget, I would really consider the 450D over the 1000D.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:16 PM   #6

I was a tad wrong about 400 for a 40d more like 500! But thats still a fairly good price i think for a prosumer camera! HMM I will do some more research!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7

The 40D is a good camera that will fit you needs, an unless you get into low light photos where a flash is not allow. It will serve you well, and there is allot of room to grow with this camera.

But if the 450D is less, I would put the money that you save on the 40D into better lenses, will actually do more for you in the long run. Body's get replace, lens last for decades.