Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:30 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input. I had an opportunity to play around with a SD960 and I really don't like it. I don't like the widescreen LCD and the controls are overly complicated. I'm sure the touchscreen and motion sensor of the SD980 would be fun to play around with, but overall I don't think they make the camera any more useful for our needs. I haven't written the F70EXR off completely, but I am strongly considering the ZR1 as well. I also have been reading about the A3100, which is appealing mostly because of its price and the fact that its a Canon so its familiar. What do you think the odds are that Canon will introduce a newer version of the A2100 with the 6x zoom anytime soon?
DaveInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:30 AM   #12

I think all the rumors for pma is that the big thing will be in the m4/3 and similar cameras. There may be some changes to the dslr and point and shoot. But it will be the evil camera that will steal the show this year. But we never know what canon has up it sleeves.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Super Moderator

I think Canon is done with updating their A series for a while.

but today Panasonic did release their new compacts, including the replacement to the ZR1, the new ZR3.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...zx-series.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:52 AM   #14

Dave-

Canon is rumored to be ready to announce a SX-200 camera replacement, which will supposedly be called the SX-300. The SX-300 will take care of the built-in flash unit that pops up anytime the SX-200 is powered on and the inability to zoom while filming HD video with the SX-200. Canon will also introduce an A-3000 or A-3100 which will have a reduced zoom range of 4X rather than the 6X zoom found on the Canon A-2000/A-2100.

The ZR-1 along with the ZS-1 apparently have been dropped from the Panasonic camera line-up, as the new ZS-7 and ZX-3 were announced.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:25 AM   #15

Default Same Exact Situation!!!

WOW! Same situation and I have considered these same cameras. I ended up buying the SD960 yesterday but returned it this evening due to a dead USB connection. Kind of glad it happened. The wife and I both felt like we made the wrong choice. Way too many problems - inconsistent white balance and blurry photos. Sometimes the flash would fire, sometimes not. No way to set flash to "On" in "Auto Mode" (only OFF and AUTO). Camera preferred to set shutter at 1/8 sec rather than raise ISO or fire the flash. IS worked great on backgrounds but people were frequently blurry. This afternoon I shot 25 pics of our 2 year old grandson, only 4 were not blurry. Auto Mode indoors nearly all blurry, and outdoors overcast, some blurry.

Desperately trying to replace the old Z730 --- Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to stick with Canon.

Here's what we would like:

8 - 12 MP
Sharp, Clean, Glass Lens - wide 28mm - Tele unimportant
Easy to use, good color balance (AWB), Auto Mode works well
Good battery life
<$350

More complex is not more better!
I do own a 40D and love it, but we just want a simple P&S sometimes.

Thanks for any suggestions

One more thing...
Checkout the sample Canon images on the site. Any reason they all are Hazy/Cloudy??? Makes it tough to determine which is better.
BigZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:35 AM   #16

Big Zombie-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

Please see my long post on under $(US) 250.00 P+S cameras.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:48 AM   #17
Super Moderator

if you want alot of control over your flash output and want up to 7 meters of useable flash range, i would take a look at Sony's H20. it is a bit larger than the sd960, but still manageable sized p&s with a good 10x zoom, hd video, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:14 AM   #18

Thanks for the info. H20 sample images look pretty good. Definitely more aggressive than Canon. Clear, sharp, good contrast, but a lot of chromatic aberration when looking at blow ups of fine detail.

Is the 230K LCD the fine screen? Seems like there are 2 LCD styles used by most cameras, large pixels and tiny pixels.

MP4 movie format is awesome! I cannot use .avi

Only killer is that the lens is too long. 38mm equiv will not work.

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:42 PM   #19

Probably not going to purchase a camera at this time. Nothing seems acceptable in this price range and I am tired of looking at reviews and comparing sample images. Personally I do not understand why the manufacturers have gone so small. Quality has been sacrificed in favor of fancier technology which is not necessarily better. Our 5 year old super simple Z730 takes sharper pics than most, but it has a very slow ready time between shots and color is not superb, but it is still being used every day for very acceptable ebay shots. While our next purchase in this category will obviously be a huge improvement, I just hope it will be as good of a choice and as long lived.

Last edited by BigZombie; Jan 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Condensed... too long
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:49 PM   #20

Big Zombie-

I have begun a search of cameras in the under $200 range, just to see if I have overlooked something that deserves consideration. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce