Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
What would be a good 2nd lens for a zoom lens? I see a lot of 55-250mm lenses being the next choice, but which specific one?
With what kind of budget? The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM you mentioned would be a nice lens for many outdoor events, with faster focusing compared to the 55-250mm we've discussed. It's also a bit larger and heavier.

On a lower budget, I'd probably look at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4.5.6 Di LD Macro. It's about the "best of the bunch" in an under $200 lens with it's focal range. But, focus speed is going to be a bit slower, and it's not quite as sharp on it's 300mm end (and doesn't have IS, which you may not need as often anyway shooting in good light). Any choice is a tradeoff in one area or another (size, weight, focal range, brightness, cost, optical quality, focus speed, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter View Post
OK, that all makes more sense now. Now, after I finally get a chance to order a camera, which might be a little while from now, I'll play with the 18-55mm lens for a while. What would be a good 2nd lens for a zoom lens? I see a lot of 55-250mm lenses being the next choice, but which specific one?
Because you like motorcross, I would skip the 55-250 and get the canon 70-300mm IS USM or the sigma 50-200 OS HSM. You will need to have a fast lens to keep action in focus. Range is up to you. The L lens would be the best, but it is 1000 dollars.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:42 AM   #13

PS

You may want to check out Steve's knowledge center, there are some good articles there to that explains allot of different aspects of photography.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:42 AM   #14

Maybe I'll hold off on the 2nd lens for a while. Or I'll get the Tamron JimC mentioned as a starter one then get the nicer one. The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is only like $550 I just checked - I thought you guys said it's over $1,000. Maybe I found the wrong one.

Weight... eh doesn't concern me all that much.

Oh by the way - What is the purpose of hoods and UV filters that I see being sold all the time?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:46 AM   #15

The 70-200mm is over 1000 dollars.

I am not a fan of UV filters, if you want to protect your lens, get a clear filter or a haze 1 filter that also acts like a ND filter and warms up the light in the shot. BUT if you get a filter GET A GOOD ONE. Get the hood, will do more good then the filter, ebay 3 dollar for the 18-55mm lens type in ew 60c and the right hood will come up for the lens.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Administrator

A hood can help prevent light from shining on the front lens element, which can cause flare (or loss of contrast from veiling flare) from light reflections inside of optical elements. IOW, it's a good idea to use one when shooting to shade the front optical elements whenever possible to reduce image degradation, especially in harsher lighting (i.e. bright sunshine, etc.).

A UV filter serves the opposite purpose. It can help to increase flare related issues if you want to degrade image quality. ;-)

I'm only half kidding, as that's what often happens when you use a cheap filter with brighter light sources in the frame. Personally, I don't use them. But, many camera users like them in order to help protect their lens (i.e, it's better to damage the filter than the front optical element of the lens).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:48 AM   #17

Ah I looked up the wrong one. I saw the 300mm.

OK. So get a hood. And UV filters can make the shot worse if you get a cheap one, but they won't make any difference if you buy a good one except that the lens doesn't get affected by the sun? Or am I misunderstanding?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:50 AM   #18

I would skip the UV filter, and get the hood,
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter View Post
Ah I looked up the wrong one. I saw the 300mm.

OK. So get a hood. And UV filters can make the shot worse if you get a cheap one, but they won't make any difference if you buy a good one except that the lens doesn't get affected by the sun? Or am I misunderstanding?
You're not going to improve optical quality with a UV filter on a modern digital camera (as the coatings on the AA filters over the sensor already filter out most UV light, as do the coatings on many lenses). You can degrade optical quality with some of them. It really doesn't have anything to do with a lens being effected by the sun. Basically, a UV filter can help protect the lens from scratches, chips from debris, damage if something bangs into to the front of your lens, etc. But, so can a lens hood to some extent. Many lenses come with Hoods. You'd need to check the "what's included" section in the specs and product description for a given lens model to find out.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Administrator

That's what I'd do... go down to a store and try out some of the models and make sure you're comfortable with them (build quality, ergonomics, etc.). Ditto for lenses you're interested in. Then, decide if a model like the T1i is right for you (and it's a well liked model in the price range you're looking at).

It sounds like most of your interest in photography is leaning towards outdoor photos, But, for indoor shots, you may also want to consider an external flash that you can bounce for more diffused lighting (for example, a Canon 430EX II) if that's something you plan to do often (family gatherings, birthday parties, etc.).