Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:59 AM   #21

Canon does not include any hood with their ef-s or ef lenses. Sigma and tamron incluedes hoods with some of their lenses.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:01 PM   #22

Oh that makes sense. I get it now. You guys are a great help. Thanks so much. Glad that I finally found the place to stay. I'm gonna read some of this stuff you guys pointed me to and stop at the camera shop that's not far from my college before I go to class and look at some stuff.

BTW - I'm a computer technician/programmer with a long long list of experience so if you or anyone needs help with something, I'd be glad to help.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:02 PM   #23

steve's actually had a good review on the T1i if you want to learn more about it. It is pretty dead on with my personal experience.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lr-review.html
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:00 PM   #24

OK, So after going to the local camera store I have some new info/questions.

They didn't have the T1i, but they had the XSi. I like the look and feel of it, and it seems like the only differences between the T1i and the XSi are these:

XSi has 100-1,600 ISO
T1i has 100-3,200 ISO

XSi doesn't have video
T1i has video (Don't care about)

XSi is 12.2 MP
T1i is 15.1 MP

XSi has 3.6 FPS
T1i has 3.5 FPS

Are there any other things I am missing? Because for $150 price difference it doesn't seem worth it to me and the guy at the store also told me it's not worth it.

He also said that buying Tamron or Sigma lenses is much cheaper than Canon and provides basically the same quality glass, minus the silent auto focus motors.

Is it better to just learn how to shoot manual by reading online and doing trial/error? Or is it worth taking a class on it at my college?

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks again guys.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:15 PM   #25
Administrator

The 18-55mm IS kit lens is a very good lens (well worth the small amount extra it costs compared to the body only price). You won't find a lens with higher optical quality for it's price from manufacturers like Sigma or Tamron, when you purchase it in a kit with a Canon camera body. So, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what the sales person was telling you in that area, unless he was trying to steer you towards a much more expensive lens (and even then, you have to take them on a case by case basis, looking at the specific lens model that was recommended).

In addition, IMO, if budget allows, the T1i is a better bet compared to the XSi, allowing more versatility in more conditions due to lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased, with higher available ISO speeds.

It's Autofocus system is also superior to the lower end Canon models like the XSi you're looking at. Since you mentioned Motocross, a better AF system could be desirable, where you may want faster Autofocus with better tracking of moving subjects. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:17 PM   #26
Super Moderator

I would agree with Jim that the t1i is probably worth the price difference for both the AF performance and the ability to shoot at ISO 3200, even if you don't desire to shoot video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:21 PM   #27
Administrator

IOW, unless you have very specific requirements (i.e, need for a brighter lens, one with more focal range for convenience, etc.), the kit lenses that camera manufacturers bundle with their camera bodies are almost always a good idea, since they add very little to the cost of a kit compared to the body only price.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:24 PM   #28

I sure would love to take a class, but I still haven't managed the time. You can learn the basics of photography by reading a book like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. His writing style is more fun - some old photography books are deadly dull, just like some computer books can be.

The very big advantage of the T1i over the XSI would be the higher ISO capability. If you are going to shoot a lot in low light, then it would be very useful. For your stated uses, it's not as big of a deal as most of what you are going to be shooting will be outdoors.

In your shoes I'd probably get the XSi, and keep that $150 for another lens or a spare battery or a couple of memory cards or a camera bag or a flash or a tripod or a ...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter View Post
OK, So after going to the local camera store I have some new info/questions.

They didn't have the T1i, but they had the XSi. I like the look and feel of it, and it seems like the only differences between the T1i and the XSi are these:

XSi has 100-1,600 ISO
T1i has 100-3,200 ISO

XSi doesn't have video
T1i has video (Don't care about)

XSi is 12.2 MP
T1i is 15.1 MP

XSi has 3.6 FPS
T1i has 3.5 FPS

Are there any other things I am missing? Because for $150 price difference it doesn't seem worth it to me and the guy at the store also told me it's not worth it.

He also said that buying Tamron or Sigma lenses is much cheaper than Canon and provides basically the same quality glass, minus the silent auto focus motors.

Is it better to just learn how to shoot manual by reading online and doing trial/error? Or is it worth taking a class on it at my college?

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks again guys.
Actually the t1i goes to 12800iso which makes it really good in low light. Also you get a bigger and higher resolution LCD. It has a better sensor. And it has a better AF system then the XSi.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:03 PM   #30

What does IOW mean? I keep seeing it and can't figure it out. It's probably obvious too.

So you've convinced me to get the T1i for the better AF and the low light capabilities and bigger screen. I will probably end up taking a lot of night shots at fires and stuff.

Sorry about my last post being misleading. Let me reword it. The salesman was not trying to steer me away from the kit lens. I had just asked him about additional lenses and that's when he said the sigma/tamron lenses were cheaper.

Now the only thing I have to do is wait about a month to see how my cash flow is with my new work schedule, and see if I can afford to buy it and some memory cards.