Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:06 PM   #31
Administrator

IOW = In other words

I probably use it a bit too often in forum posts, assuming that new members understand what it means (and as you have demonstrated, that may not be the case). :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:09 PM   #32

Lol. I usually know the acronyms but that one had me puzzled.

By the way guys, Credit Cards are a bad bad thing. It's extremely tempting to order the camera and some memory cards and a case on one of my cards right now but I have to fight the urge. At least another month.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:10 PM   #33
Administrator

As for lenses, you really need to take them on a case by case basis, comparing specific models (as you will find very good and not so good lenses from all manufacturers).

For low light use trying to take photos of fires at night, etc., I'd definitely lean towards a model with higher available ISO speeds. I'd probably hold off on spending a lot of money on longer lenses until you get a better feel for your needs, too (as you may want to look at brighter f/2.8 zooms, or even brighter primes for lower light conditions where a zoom or flash may not be practical).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:11 PM   #34

I am holding off on the lenses that's for sure. I just want the camera with the kit lens and some memory cards right now.

And yeah, when I'm ready to get new lenses, I'll ask you guys for advice but hopefully I'll be able to figure out most of it on my own.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:14 PM   #35

Like Jim said,

There are good and bad lenses from all the makes, DO NOT get the canon ef 75-300mm it is not a good lens. It is dirty cheap for a reason.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:14 PM   #36
Administrator

Waiting another month may not be a bad thing, as one of the largest photography related trade shows is next month:

http://www.pmai.org/

Even if you don't see anything interesting launched leading into it, some of the pricing has gone up a tad on some camera bodies and lenses since the end of the year specials on them. So, you may see new deals on models you're considering by being patient for another month (instant rebates, more package deals if you buy more than one lens, price reductions due to competition, etc.). Of course, you'll have to decide if the use you may be getting from a new camera is worth paying current prices for one (versus taking your chances that prices may come down some, which is not always the case given currency conversions, etc.).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:17 PM   #37

Just know at any thing they show will not hit the store till may june.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:19 PM   #38

I doubt that anything they will release will pertain to me, but if it does, I might just have to wait that long to save some extra money. We'll just let time go and in the mean time I'll read up on all of this until I catch a good deal.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:26 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Just know at any thing they show will not hit the store till may june.
Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on a manufacturer's strategy.

Sometimes you'll see an announcement well in advance of when a product is going to ship (often to help prevent potential buyers from going with a different manufacturer's product instead). Or, you may see an announcement at the last minute, just before a product is ready to ship (to try and keep competitors "in the dark" as long as possible, especially in the pricing area for a new product). I've seen a bit of both from most manufacturers.

in any event, new product announcements usually help to foster a more competitive environment (i.e, meaning more "bang for the buck" from a product pricing perspective due to competition, even if you're looking at a product that's already been on the shelves for a while).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:52 PM   #40
Administrator

Of course, I probably don't present a very good example of how to handle waiting for pricing to come down, at least where cameras are concerned.

In most (but not all) cases when I've bought a new camera, I bought it as soon as I could get my hands on one after it's launch, even though that meant paying introductory (i.e, full list) prices due to limited supply and greater demand (as is often the case with a new product).

For example, I bought the Sony A700 I shoot with now that way in September 2007, paying full list price for it, as soon as I could find a vendor that had one in stock.