Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:44 PM   #1

Default My Perfect Camera

Thanks to the help from this board, I have the perfect camera in mind. Too bad they haven't built it yet, though. We can get close, however.

Low light performance is perhaps the most elusive of criteria in terms of defining what level of performance is good enough. Undoubtedly, the bigger the sensor the better. I compared example photos from the SX20, which is a 1/2.33 equipped mega-zoom, to the S90, a 1/1.7 sensor unit. The S90 was better every time. Is the SX20 good enough? Hard to tell. With low light issues, it seems that good is never good enough, unlike maximum pixel resolutions. 1/1.7 or an m4/3 seem ideal while keeping the form factor portable.

Aperature and shutter priority are a must- I used to take this for granted but since I bought my A570 IS it seems to be far less common of an option.

A built-in flash is a must. The option to add a big flash is interesting, but having one on-camera keeps the easy shots easy (that's kind of catchy). Sorrly Oly!

HD video is another want, with the idea that I'll have the camera when I finally get a big TV (I'm a cheap son-of-a-...gun). This feature seems unexpectedly scarce, though. My video editing software can up-scale and smooth a video, but it can't create data or detail.

A powerful zoom lens is good, too. 28mm-280mm seems like a reasonable, capable range for a digicam anyway.

The perfect camera? Pop a m4/3 sensor in something close to the size of the G11 with a permanent lens, give it HD video, and we're golden.

The perfect compromise? The G11 or the S90 will slip right into my shirt pocket. For the small difference in zoom, the price, and aperature, I don't think I can go wrong with the S90.

Thoughts?

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Well, it is rumored that Canon and Nikon have something in the works for a larger sensor-sized bridge camera, which will probably have something like a 2.5x crop factor sensor (slightly smaller than 4/3) and will probably incorporate a 28-200ish zoom and HD video. but this is just speculation and nothing has been released. and more than likely, something like this will cost quite a bit of money.

with the current crop of cameras. with low light and portability as well as manual controls being of priority, the s90 is a great choice. and if they ever do build your dream camera, well the s90 is a nice pocket-sized companion this larger bridge camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:29 PM   #3

Default Snow Day!

The GF-1 comes close to my wants as well, but the HD video capability falls short in frames/sec if I recall correctly, diminishing the appeal. That, and as Hards80 suggested for similar features, comes at a steep price tag - $900.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:39 PM   #4

actually the gf1 records at 30f/s hd, which is the standard for hd at 720.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:43 PM   #5

Default The Perfect Camera? - I'v got it!

It is of course the Panasonic LUMIX G1 - no doubt about it...

P.S.: Who need video in a still-camera?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:46 PM   #6

Walter_S

You camera take some fantastic photo. I have HD in my 500D but I do not use it. Think I did 2 test things with it the whole time I have had it. My HD camcorder does my video work.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
It is of course the Panasonic LUMIX G1 - no doubt about it...

P.S.: Who need video in a still-camera?
I do! The all-in-one solution fits my needs nicely, though as my needs grow I find my options are reduced.

By the way, you left a "1" off of the perfect camera name.

What's with the "G" and "S" designations that so many makers share? Is there something symbolic to the reference?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:15 PM   #8

iowa_jim-

It part of the photographic lore. Years ago Konica-Minolta had a premium line of lenses that were call "G" Lenses. Sony as the eventual owner of the K-M assets got the right to use the nomenclature "G-Lens" and they have begun to use that term for certain lenses, as they begin to ever so gradually break away from their Zeiss affiliation/partnership.

Panasonic owns the "Lumix" trademark, so they would not be infringing on Sony or Canon if they called had a model designator that began with a "G." Canon did it with the G series of cameras that are famous, so Panasonic stood to gain more, in terms of name recognition, without the threat of any loss, when the selected the following camera models: G-1, GH-1 etc.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Well my perfect camera would be something like a FF GF-1 or EP-2.

Add a few nice pancake primes at 24 f2.8, 35 f2, 50 f2 and 80mm f2.8. And a zoom for the masses - or possibly just an adapter to allow SLR lenses to be used.

Who knows - there may be a market for one if it can come in at a similar or lower price than the 5DMkII/D700/A900. After all it's not that far from a Leica M9, and it should be possible to do it at 1/3 of the price of the Leica or even 1/4.

I love the IQ from my 5DMkII, but I don't like the bulk and flapping mirror (noisy, bulky and introduces camera shake). Put it in a smaller flatter box with some high-quality tiny lenses and I'd be good to go.

The sensor tech is already there from Canon and Nikon, and once Sony get live-view on their FF sensor it should be possible for them too.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 26, 2010 at 7:23 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:38 AM   #10

iowa_jim-

I have been following your posts closely. If the rumors are only partially true we will for sure see at least on fixed lens camera with a larger imager, perhaps severa before PMA finishes near the end of Februaryl. We will also probably see andother camera niche within the market, which for lack of a formal term is being referred to near m4/3 EVIL cameras. This would include cameras such as the new NX model from Samsung which has already be introduced.

In contrast there are as well cameras like the already announced, Sony HX-5 that will use imagers smaller than the standard m4/3 imager. The HX-5 is scheduled to hit the market in mid March. In summary, we will most probably see a whole new crop of cameras, so I think we can predict, with some degree of certainity that you will see that larger imager camera with a 25 to 250mm (roughly) lens available.

E-Bay is already seeing a few more Panasonic G-1 cameras listed in anticipation of Panasonic re-adjusting the cameras within it G series.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote