Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Default Help With a Compact Camera

I'm looking for a new small camera that will primarily be used to take pictures of my young children. My main criteria are:

- small size (to fit in my purse or coat pocket)
- quick recovery time between pictures (kids are quick and don't want to miss the moment)
- good picture quality in different lighting conditions and with action shots

My husband has a larger canon EOS camera with different lenses that can be used for school plays, some sporting events, etc.; it just doesn't always seem practical for me to carry on a daily basis.
michiganmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2

michiganmum-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

You might want to look at the highly reviewed Canon SX-200 it pretty much would cover your needs while also providing 12X optical zoom. Soon to be introduced (mid March) you will have the Sony HX-5 which is even smaller with 10x optical zoom. If you need less zoom the Canon S-90 is just about the size of the HX-5 camera and it is very quick, fast, and small. The S-90 has 3.8X optical zoom. The HX-5 and the S-90 can be tucked in anywhere. They are that small.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick response. For someone who primarily uses the automatic settings, would I notice the difference in picture quality and speed between the s-90 vs. sd-960 vs. sd-780 vs. sd-1200? The s-90 seems very appealing to me if the extra price tag is warranted given my level of expertise.

The extra zoom on the sx-200 is also very appealing. However, I was hoping to purchase the camera with a gift certificate from best buy and they are sold out. We have had canon cameras in the past so I am very comfortable buying this brand.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

in lower light conditions where the camera will choose a higher ISO, you will be able to see a difference in the s90 vs sdxxx image quality. its also one of the more responsive, or quicker compacts.

whether or not this justifies the price in your budget, that is up to you.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5

Thank you, I'm leaning more and more toward the s90
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:58 PM   #6

Michiganmum-

The Canon S-90 is very highly reviewed and I have shot with it and was very impressed. Yes, it is expensive, but it is also feature rich, and worth its purchase price.

The new Canon SX-300 will be introduced in February and its upgrade will address the pop-up built-in flash unit problem and the lack of being able to zoom while filming HD video that the SX-200 has experienced.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:47 PM   #7

Thanks Sarah. Could you possibly give me some pros and cons of the SX-200/SX-300 vs. the S-90.

Thank you.

Laura
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:50 PM   #8

Sure, Laura-

The Canon S-90 is about credit card sized and it is about 1 inch thick. While it oly has 3.8X optical zoom, it is feature rich and can easily operate at ISO 800. It very good but it is certainly a "close range" camera.

In contrast, lets discuss the SX-200 first. It is a good all around family camera with 12X optical zoom and HD Video. However, there are a couple of issues that have followed the SX-200 in many user's minds. The pop-up built-in flash resolutely pops up whether you need it, when the camera is powered up. While the SX-200 has HD video, you cannot zoom while filming. According to the rumors, the SX-300 will fix both problems (the flash and the HJD video), albeit at a higher price.

The SX-200/SX300 is almost twice as thick as the S-90 and 1 inch approximately 1 inch wider than the S-90. I have tested it and the SX-200/SX-300 will fit into my purse easily. But then as you well know purse sizes seem to vary a lot in terms of size.

My husband and I raised 8 children over the years, now we are empty nesters. I would believe that the 12X optical zoom would really come in handy with children. And the SX-200 will probably fall in price as soon as we get near the SX-300. So either the SX-200 and the Sx-300 will be less expensive than the S-90. The SX-200, in truth, might become a bit of a baragain in the next 30 days.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce