Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Panasonic Introduces 2 New Cameras

Thanks to the co-operation of Moderator Hards/Dustin we have a bit of news for you:

News Flash: Panasonic has just introduced the ZS-7 as the replacement to the current ZS-3 camera. It will use the improved IS system and new imager, pioneered on the ZR-1. It will have a 3.0" LCD screen. It will also feature a set of full manual controls, the AVCHD Lite movie format, and SDXC chip support. The zoom range remains the same (25-300mm) giving it the same 12X optical zoom.

Also announced was the ZX-3 with 8X optical zoom and 14mp of resolution. It will include a "Happy Mode," an AVCHD Lite HD video mode, and SDXC card support. The ZX-3 will mostly automatic controls of the ZR-1, ZS-1, and the ZS-3. The ZR-1 after a very short life span falls out of the Panasonic line-up.

Added Flash News at 6:00pm PST /0200 GMT:
Panasonic popped up with an additional camera this afternoon (01/26/10) with yet another camera, the Panasonic FZ-66. It will have 14mp with a 2.7 inch LCD screen, it will also have the new and improved OIS system and the new image processor that were tested on the Zr-1. The FX-66 will be the first to offer a "Cosmetic Mode" which is designed to produce the enhanced skin tones and textures that are characteristic of Professional Portraiture. The FX-66 will also have HD video and a zoom range of 25 50 125mm. Like the ZX-3, the Panasonic FX-66 will also feature the Happy mode that is designed to improve image color, brightness, and saturation. Initial plans call for USA distribution, but no United Kingdom distribution.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

links to Panasonic's official press releases can be found here
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...zx-series.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:30 PM   #3

So what are the improvements? would this be a good time to look for reduced sz3s or better to look at the new models? Do these also have same problem with underpowered flash?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:36 PM   #4

Nech-

Yes, the Panasonic ZS-3 (a mostly automatic camera) is down to an all time low price at Amazon for $(US) 235.00 The replacement will feature an improved IS system, a new processor, and full manual and auto controls.

And yes, again, the ZS-3, the ZS-7, and the ZX-3 are blessed with that teensy, tiny, built-in flash unit that provides only 6 to 8 feet of Flash Range.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:51 PM   #5

I noticed that Panasonic swapped the shutter and mode dial around on the ZS5/ZS7, fixing one the problems that the ZS1/ZS3 have. The addition of manual controls is more than welcomed. My only concern is the increased MP count to 14 MP without increasing the sensor size. They already have problems controlling noise now they might add image softness to the mix. We'll see.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:27 PM   #6

Tullio-

I believe that Panasonic is depending on their new image processor, that they introduced on the ZR-1 to bail them out of the 14mp picadillo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:46 PM   #7

I haven't seen many images from the ZR-1 (in fact, I think I've only seen the ones you've posted), so I can't say whether the new engine is a winner or not. It will be interesting to see some reviews of this new camera batch.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:38 PM   #8

I agree, Tullio-

Let's wait and see the professional reviews.

Sarah Joyce