Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:13 AM   #1

Default Camera within 250$, point & shoot in sony, nikon & canon please?

Hi,
Please suggest me good camera within 250$.
Weight no bar,more optical zoom desirable 3x or more, bigger lcd screen desirable,viewfinder if possible should have AA alkaline batteries compatible (no charging headache),8 mp or more, flash good enough to take evening photos,simple menu to deal with,ISO 1600 or more,outdoor beach,indoor house use (simple),tv out must,able to take good video recording .
I shortlisted Canon sx120 & Nikon L100.
Please tell me cameras from new launch.
nileshsatpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:50 AM   #2

Default What camera should I buy

Nilesh,

I am not sure what camera you can buy with in a range of 250$ but yes if you are currently at US please visite any of the Best buy malls and look for Nikon P90 its the best for every reason and if you dont believe me then please do visit at flickr site and search my profile using the name as aditya53 or you can click on the below link http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Please go through all the photographs in a larger view and thats the majic I am talking about, besides you will get 12.1 MP , 24x powerful zoom and image stability so on the whole you are getting every thing more what you are looking for

Please note all those photographs are natural and un eddited

please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions
the prise is about 360$ but why compramise on quality
Tirumalaaditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:30 AM   #3

nileshastupte-

Welcome to the Forum. We delighted that you dropped by.

In the under $(US)250.00 market the leading cameras are:

Sony H-20 - 10X optical Zoom - no wide angle - $(US) 220-240 - 10mp
Canon SX-120 - 10X optical zoom - no wide angle - $(US) 190-210 - 10mp
Sony W-350 - 4X optical zoom -26mm wide andgle - $(US) !90-210 - 14mp
Fiji F-70EXR - 10X optical zoom-28mm wide angle - $(US)- $(US) 180-200 - 10mp
Panasonic ZR-1 - 8X optical zoom-25mm wide angle - $(US) 210-230 - 12mp
Panasonic Zs-1 - 12X optical zoom - 25 mm wide angle - $(US) 190-210-10mp
Panasonic ZS-3 - 12X optical zoom - 25mm Wide angle - $(US) 235- 255-10mp

Clearly, the Sony H-20 with the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in class, is the leader. It also does HD video and you can zoom while filming. It does ISO 800 easily, but does show some noise.

The Canon SX-120 is a good basic family camera, with an average flash, standard video and can do ISO 800, but you can see the noise creeping into the images. Standard video which is average.

The Sony W-350 is the newest camera in the group with the highest resolution. It does ISO 800 and 1600 with only a very small amount of noise. It has a 26mm wide angle. The standard video is only fair.

The Fuji F-70 EXR starts at a 28mm wide angle and goes to 280mm It does ISO 1600 with very good looking images, but it also has a rather extended learning curve, due to the EXR system imager. Standard/average video.

The Panasonic ZR-1 has 8X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Standard/Average video.

The Panasonic ZS-1 has 12X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch showing averagenoise. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Standard/Average video.

The Panasonic ZS-3 has 12X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch showing noise. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Very good HD video and you can zoom while filming.

Those are the choices, the Sony H-20 is the best in class.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Hi Sarah,

Do you know how the flash in the W-350 compares to the H-20 and the Panasonics?
DaveInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInPhilly View Post
Hi Sarah,

Do you know how the flash in the W-350 compares to the H-20 and the Panasonics?
according to specifications it is slightly below the panasonics and about 1/2 the output of the sony h20. but this is just raw output and does not cover things like how the camera compensates via iso, etc. so its not the whole picture. but gives you at least some idea.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:33 PM   #6

DaveinPhilly-

The flash recycle time reported by users is "average," meanin less than 5 seconds. Yes, it is another small, somewhat under powered built-in flash unit, but Sony makes it work in the same way that Panasonic does, by using Auto ISO which increased the ISO as needed to get a proper flash exposure.

The Sony W-350 has pretty good high ISO capability so the flash should work fine with a flash range of 10-12 feet. No, it will not surpass the Sony H-20.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote