Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Canon XSi or T1i?

Hi Guys,

I currently have a G11 and quite simply love the camera. However, as some people say with tattoos - one is never enough..... So, now I've got the bug and am hooked on camera's/photography I am still learning about manual controls....I've done online research, bought a G11 book and am waiting for the field guide or magic latern to become available to have as a reference as well.

However, now that I have the bug I would like to play a bit too with a DSLR. I'd like too stay within Canon as I am comfortable with the menu settings, etc and overall, I like them best.....it's what I'm familiar with.

I do not have any intention of doing "professional" photography. It'll merely be of my daughter, family events and landscape/micro. The G11 will also be my primary camera for most things since I love it so much and it is versitile.

With that in mind, to get a dslr would you suggest the XSi or the T1i? Video isn't important but I do like the Digic4 with the G11 which is shared in the T1i. I'd use the kit lens until I became comfortable with using it for a little while. So, which would you guys recommend? I had focused on the XSi before but then wondered if going to the T1i would be a better move?
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i would actually wait a couple of months. as Canon is rumored to introduce the replacement to the XSi next month, available in april/may. it should be priced a bit lower than the t1i but with some marked improvements over the xsi including 720p video and articulating screen.

in the meantime the G11 is a fantastic learning tool and getting to know that camera inside and out will make your transition to dslr's very smooth.

i would at least wait til febuary to see the announcement or lack thereof. and its not like you don't have a great camera to use until then.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Oh so true

Just after I posted the thread I thought about the announcement and thought I should wait a bit too see what happens with the pricing and such. I just wasn't sure if there was a significant difference with the T1i over the XSi for my needs.

And yep, love the G11...incase I haven't said it enough
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Oh so true

Just after I posted the thread I thought about the announcement and thought I should wait a bit too see what happens with the pricing and such. I just wasn't sure if there was a significant difference with the T1i over the XSi for my needs.

And yep, love the G11...incase I haven't said it enough
there may not be a significant difference for your needs. though having iso 3200 or more would give the dslr more capabilities over your G11. so it could be your go-to when the light gets really low.

even if you do decide on the xsi, i am sure the prices of it will drop significantly after the newest rebel is announced.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:49 PM   #5

Im hoping to do the same, am a right the replacement for the 450d/Xsi will be called the 550d? Do you think it will come out in February or just be announced?
gibsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:24 PM   #6

Well last year they announce the T1i is Feb, but it did not hit the stores till late may and early june. I do not think that you will see it at the end of Feb. If the rumors are try, it will be a very small dslr. Which is pretty good for travelers.

Back to the OP's question. If low light photography is a concern to you the T1i can handle the low light extremely well only slightly behind the pentax k-x at 12800 iso. Also when the new 550/600D's come out you will be paying full msrp because of availability with the new product. The t1i right now is selling for 729 dollars. If the new cameras are indeed the replacement of the XSi/XS is will have less ability then the T1i at pretty much the same price, about 30-40 dollars until the price begins to drop around late oct 2010 getting ready for the X-mas season.

Just a thought if you were serious considering the T1i.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:26 PM   #7

Shoturtle, I liked both the feel of the T1i and the XSi and just wasn't sure which way to go since the XSi has dropped to 699.99 (Cnd) and the T1i can be found for 799.99....for the extra hundered I wasn't sure if going for the T1i was better or if I was just paying extra for video and the Digic4 capability. I do a little of low light shooting and but don't foresee that being a big aspect of my photos. Besides, for my needs, the G11 is terrific in this area if the settings are handled properly.....but again, low light is a very small portion for me.

I've always wanted a DSLR and I think having one to play with along side my G11 would be great. I had been leaning towards the XSi previously but being knew to the DSLR world wasn't sure which would be the best way to go when I do purchase one. For my needs, though, perhaps the XSi is still the best bet and if the price drops, all the better as the savings can go towards the "lens" fund
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

if you don't foresee using your dslr in low light, aka, needing iso 3200. the xsi is a great choice, within its shared iso range, there is not alot of difference in image quality between the xsi and t1i. that 12mp sensor was a good one.

i just thought for the 100$, it would be nice to have a camera that you can use beyond iso 1600 in case the need arises.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you don't foresee using your dslr in low light, aka, needing iso 3200. the xsi is a great choice, within its shared iso range, there is not alot of difference in image quality between the xsi and t1i. that 12mp sensor was a good one.

i just thought for the 100$, it would be nice to have a camera that you can use beyond iso 1600 in case the need arises.

That's what makes the choice a toss up One minute I think the XSi then the next the T1i.....Guess I can't lose out either way and will just have too see what happens in a few months. If the price drops lower on the XSi then I'll that'll make it even harder. My main concern was image quality and whether there really was a difference between the 2 camera's in that respect.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:18 PM   #10
Super Moderator

in their shared range of isos (up to 1600) there is very little difference.