Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:04 PM   #11

my problem with pentax (or other brands not nikon or cannon) is that finding lenses used is going to be a bit rougher...also, if you decide to change over to a more mainstream brand, the lenses need to be switched out as well.

tamron makes a wide array of lenses for most brands (something to keep in mind). I'd suggest buying a used dslr and finding some used lenses.

what is your budget? Its easier to find used gear for cannon and nikons****
Shelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelb View Post
my problem with pentax (or other brands not nikon or cannon) is that finding lenses used is going to be a bit rougher...
Actually, the used market for Pentax (and Minolta) lenses is every bit as healthy as for Canon and Nikon. See KEH.com's website to see for yourself. In addition, since Pentax has image stabilization in the camera body (as does Sony), all those used lenses are stabilized. Check KEH.com to see how many stabilized lenses they have for Canon or Nikon.

Quote:
... also, if you decide to change over to a more mainstream brand, the lenses need to be switched out as well.
That goes for when you switch from Canon to Nikon as well.

Quote:
... I'd suggest buying a used dslr and finding some used lenses.
I'd suggest NOT getting a used dSLR. You don't know how much it's been used or in what conditions, and it doesn't come with a warranty. And a guarrantee isn't a substitute for a warranty. If you buy a used camera and lenses to go with it, and the camera fails, getting your money back on the camera doesn't help you with the lenses. If you're pinching pennies, a refurbished camera is ok, because it comes with a warranty, limited as it might be.

Quote:
... Its easier to find used gear for cannon and nikons****
Not so, and the reverse is true if you're looking for stabilized lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:56 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I agree 100% with TCAV, i was about to write up the same thing.

not only that, but Pentax has some of the best prime lens selection there is. as well as having back compatibility with their older lenses. and they are all stabilized.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I agree 100% with TCAV, i was about to write up the same thing.
Ok, this is getting scary. We're going to have to stop agreeing with each other so often.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:27 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Ok, this is getting scary. We're going to have to stop agreeing with each other so often.
i agree.... oh god.....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:57 AM   #16

Thanks all for the VERY useful info. I posted my question under the Pentax section on this forum as well and got similiar info on the manual lenses. After I get used to the camera in general I will likely start with a manual wide aperture, if nothing else, for the price.

I'm honestly not sure what my overall budget is yet, as I intend for this to be an ongoing investment.

I'm also now planning on getting one of the 2 lens kits rather than just the 18-55 now as well, thanks for that suggestion. Does anyone have an opinion on whether to go for the 50-200 vs the 55-300?
JillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:26 AM   #17

Jill-

The Pentax 55-300mm is the more expensive of the two lenses, so if you can get a Pentax Kx two lens kit at the same price (or slightly more) for the 55-300mm lens as the 50-200mm lens, like little John did, you have found yourself a very good deal.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18

The Pentax 55-300 is better than the Pentax 55-200, but the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is as good as the 55-300 and it costs less.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:28 PM   #19

I disagree that the Tamron is as good as the 55-300. As far as sharpness, the Tamron has a slight edge over the Pentax, though not enough to rule out the Pentax. The Pentax has a significant advantage over the Tamron as far as CA - there's very little CA or fringing with the Pentax, where it's quite noticeable with the Tamron (but only comes into play when you are shooting in high contrast situations). My choice was for the Pentax 55-300, choosing the better CA capability over the slight edge in sharpness. On the other hand, if your budget won't allow for the Pentax, then the Tamron isn't a bad choice at all, and it IS a bit sharper (at least from comparison shots I've seen posted).

My experience has been that the 55-300 is better than the 50-200. My 50-200 broke (which is why I bought the 55-300) so I can't shoot comparisons, but I was never very impressed with the pictures I took with the 50-200.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:27 PM   #20

If the op has not brought the camera yet, the difference in price between the 200mm and 300mm zoom is 640 vs 719 online. So the price of the zoom would be 80 dollars more for the 300. If the OP buys the the 1 lens kit then get the tamron, it will only be a 20 dollar saving, 550 for the 1 lens kit, and 150 for the lens. It is not a huge savings either way. One give on one thing the other gives on another thing.