Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-x

I've been researching for months in anticipation of my first dSLR purchase and I *think* I've settled on the Pentax K-x. What I'm still looking for some info on before I make the purchase is lenses.

Does anyone have any info or suggestions regarding a decent wide apeture lens for this camera that is relatively affordable?
JillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens is a very good choice for a large aperture standard zoom, and it would be stabilized on the Pentax. It would of course, make the kit lens superfluous, so you'd do well to get the K-x body only.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillT View Post
Have any info or suggestions regarding a decent wide apeture lens for this camera that is relatively affordable?
for what shooting purpose? Wide aperture lenses tend to cost more money so it's essential to understand what the intended purpose will be so you get an appropriate focal length.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
for what shooting purpose? Wide aperture lenses tend to cost more money so it's essential to understand what the intended purpose will be so you get an appropriate focal length.
In all honesty its just personal preference, I prefer the "wide open" look especially for portraits. The camera will be used mainly for family events, travel, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I prefer the "wide open" look especially for portraits.
The devil is in the details. Depending on how WIDE OPEN you want. For example the lens TCAV mentioned is a nice one, but isn't going to provide a lot of blurred background for portraits. It's too short and not wide enough. For that you either need more focal length and the room to back away from your subject or a wider aperture - 1.8 or 1.4.

For example, if you want highly blurred backgrounds indoors then you're looking at something like an 85mm 1.8 (note photos not taken with Pentax gear but the idea is still the same):

When you have plenty of room outdoors, longer focal lengths can give you the same blurred backgrounds even if the aperture is not very wide:

You could still get some blurred background shots at 75mm f2.8. Something akin to this shot:

It's just a matter of how much of an affect you're after.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the info and examples, that's very helpful info! Do you recommend any lenses for the Pentax K-x with the wider aperture that you referred to (1.8 or 1.4)?

As I'll be a beginner in the dSLR world I'm leaning towards getting the camera with the standard 18-55mm lens and getting comfortable with the features, etc. first and adding a wide apeture lens a few months down the road. I'd just like to get an idea of what I might need to spend and look for ahead of time.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:05 PM   #7

Quote:
As I'll be a beginner in the dSLR world I'm leaning towards getting the camera with the standard 18-55mm lens and getting comfortable with the features, etc. first and adding a wide apeture lens a few months down the road. I'd just like to get an idea of what I might need to spend and look for ahead of time.
GREAT way to approach it. I would suggest posting down in the Pentax forum asking for wide aperture (1.4, 1.8) lens suggestions for casual portrait shots. They'll be able to give you a good idea of what's available on the used market as well as new.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
GREAT way to approach it. I would suggest posting down in the Pentax forum asking for wide aperture (1.4, 1.8) lens suggestions for casual portrait shots. They'll be able to give you a good idea of what's available on the used market as well as new.
Will do, thanks again for all your help!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the info and examples, that's very helpful info! Do you recommend any lenses for the Pentax K-x with the wider aperture that you referred to (1.8 or 1.4)?

I am new KX owner...the 2 kit lens I got is the 18-55 and the 50-300..

I am happy with both. The 50-300 is getting a workout in costa rica right now. I am happy I got it. Having just the 18-55 would be quite limiting for me here.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:49 PM   #10

JohnG's suggestion is a good one. I'll just chime in that you can get a manual 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.7 for well under $100 (close to $50), and f/1.4 for right around $100 (or less if you search around). These are fully manual lenses, but fun for portraits and low light indoor shots.

For automatic lenses, there are a variety of choices depending on what you want to spend. Pentax is good about compatibility with older lenses, and they can be fun to play with, when you want to slow down and think about a shot. You don't want to use them to chase your kids around the house or on the soccer field, though. You can do it, but the automatic lenses are much better tools for that.

Depending on the deal, if you can get a two-lens kit for not much more than the 1 lens kit, I'd recommend it. That's a cheap way to get the 18-55 and then a decent consumer zoom for cheap. As JohnG said, it can also be used for portraits assuming you've got enough room (and light). Here are a couple of examples with the 50-200 kit zoom.

First at 150mm:

Here's on indoors closer to 50mm, which would put the aperture close to f/4. Not nearly as much separation, but not bad.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote