Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Yes, all Sony dSLR bodies have stabilization built in (any lens you use on them benefits from the in body stabilization system). As for the Sony 75-300mm, it's not that great of a lens. If they've got a kit including the 55-200mm kit lens, it's probably a better bet (and it's smaller and lighter lens compared to the 75-300mm, too). Or, if you really need a longer lens on a tighter budget, I'd probably look at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro instead of the Sony 75-300mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

i second the notion for the Tamron 70-300. its a very nice lens for the price, and especially so when paired with inbody stabilization on the sony.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:05 PM   #13
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

IOW, I'd probably go with this kit instead for 399.00 ( 339.00 after cash back from sony)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6249/show.html

Then, get one these lenses with it if you need something longer on a tighter budget:

Sony DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0068/show.html

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di Macro:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...tml?cm_vc=PPZ1
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:45 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yes, all Sony dSLR bodies have stabilization built in (any lens you use on them benefits from the in body stabilization system). As for the Sony 75-300mm, it's not that great of a lens. If they've got a kit including the 55-200mm kit lens, it's probably a better bet (and it's smaller and lighter lens compared to the 75-300mm, too). Or, if you really need a longer lens on a tighter budget, I'd probably look at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro instead of the Sony 75-300mm.
Thanks for clarifying... thats a plus then (like the E620), which makes lenses cheaper.

No kit including the Sony 55-200, but if I bought it seperately anyway, I would still come in under 500 after cashback!!

There is a kit with the Tamron 75-300 included as second lense. It's on at 509 with cashback of 60.

So I can be sure... am I right that you multiply the above numbers by 1.5?
So 55-200 is in fact 80-300? and 75-300 is 110-450?

If i am right, the smaller would probably suffice... especially if it was a better lens!
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:46 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i second the notion for the Tamron 70-300. its a very nice lens for the price, and especially so when paired with inbody stabilization on the sony.
Better than the Sony 55-200??
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Yes you are correct that the crop factor is 1.5 and you would multiply that with the lens ranges to get the realistic range. Your match is correct for the sony.

With the olympus, you multiply by 2 for the range.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:02 PM   #17
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

The Sony is smaller and lighter compared to the Tamron. So, that's it's main advantage (it's designed specifically for cameras that use an APS-C size sensor, whereas the Tamron can also be used on cameras with 35mm size film or sensors). The Tamron also reaches out to 300mm (although it softens up a bit on it's longer end).

The Sony looks like it probably has a bit better center sharpness at some focal lengths when used at wide open apertures with a touch more softness in the corners. The Tamron looks like it's more consistent across the frame at most focal lengths in common when used on a camera with an APS-C size sensor (although the Tamron starts to soften up as you get above 200mm, as is common with most budget 70-300mm lenses). Stopped down a bit from wide open (i.e., using them at around f/8, where both lenses should sharpen up some), I doubt you'd see much difference in them at focal lengths in common. The Tamron also allows for closer focusing compared to the Sony if you use it's Macro switch. There are pros and cons to both of them. I'd try them out in a store and see what you think.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

BTW, optically, the Sony 55-200 is identical to the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD, which is cheaper, lighter, and has a longer warranty. The Sony has its own autofocus motor.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:12 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
IOW, I'd probably go with this kit instead for 399.00 ( 339.00 after cash back from sony)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6249/show.html

Then, get one these lenses with it if you need something longer on a tighter budget:

Sony DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0068/show.html

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di Macro:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...tml?cm_vc=PPZ1
Ha, think I answered some of this above... but lets have a quick round up of the Sony A330 Options after cashback:

Single Lens Kits
18-55 Lens with no other purchase - 339
+ Sony 55-200 Lens - 498

Twin Lens Kit
inc. Sony 70-300 Lens & 8GB Card - 499
inc. Tamron 70-300 Lens, Kit Bag + 40 prints - 449

_____________________

Compare that to the E620 Twin Kit, Grip and second battery at 599...
Or the Sony A500 single kit at 549....

Thats really mixed it up hasn't it.
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:14 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes you are correct that the crop factor is 1.5 and you would multiply that with the lens ranges to get the realistic range. Your match is correct for the sony.

With the olympus, you multiply by 2 for the range.
Great Thanks.. so if I went for e620 I'm going to get a similar range from the kit lenses....
They're both on an even keel aren't they...
I think I'm getting there and then all this comes up....
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.