Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_sa View Post
Twin Lens Kit
inc. Sony 70-300 Lens & 8GB Card - 499
inc. Tamron 70-300 Lens, Kit Bag + 40 prints - 449
No. Sony's 70-300 lens will cost a lot more than that, and if you meant the Sony 75-300, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:27 PM   #22

Yes they have very similar ranges, and they are both nice cameras. I like smaller cameras personally now adays. Find that it suits my traveling better then a full size dslr. That was one of the reason the e620 was really appealing to me, but since I had a bunch of canon ef lenses, I went with the canon t1i over the e620. I think it is a very good camera.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
BTW, optically, the Sony 55-200 is identical to the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD, which is cheaper, lighter, and has a longer warranty. The Sony has its own autofocus motor.
This Sony is 159 on Jessops site, but I can't see a Tamron 55-200 on there to compare.

Lighter and longer warranty are good but the Sony with its own AF Motor... isn't that better?

Sorry, still not au fait with all these different lenses so here's a really silly question;
If the Sony has its own AF motor, how does the Tamron one focus?

On Jessops site they do a Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Lens for 169.
That covers me from Wide to Zoom in one lens... like my superzoom did. Are these any good?
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:36 PM   #24

actually it really does not matter if it is a lens motor or a body motor. Since the sony has an inbody motor. The lens motor only adds weight.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:37 PM   #25

Quote:
No. Sony's 70-300 lens will cost a lot more than that, and if you meant the Sony 75-300, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better.
Ooops. Sorry for causing a rush of excitement amongst Sony Fans looking for a bargain!
I did mean the Sony 75-300 with the kit, but if the Tamron is better....
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The Sony is smaller and lighter compared to the Tamron. So, that's it's main advantage (it's designed specifically for cameras that use an APS-C size sensor, whereas the Tamron can also be used on cameras with 35mm size film or sensors). The Tamron also reaches out to 300mm (although it softens up a bit on it's longer end).

The Sony looks like it probably has a bit better center sharpness at some focal lengths when used at wide open apertures with a touch more softness in the corners. The Tamron looks like it's more consistent across the frame at most focal lengths in common when used on a camera with an APS-C size sensor (although the Tamron starts to soften up as you get above 200mm, as is common with most budget 70-300mm lenses). Stopped down a bit from wide open (i.e., using them at around f/8, where both lenses should sharpen up some), I doubt you'd see much difference in them at focal lengths in common. The Tamron also allows for closer focusing compared to the Sony if you use it's Macro switch. There are pros and cons to both of them. I'd try them out in a store and see what you think.
Flippin' eck JimC, you know your stuff.
I'm afraid I don't think I'd spot any of what you mention whilst testing in a store.... I'm only just working out which camera to get and why, let alone how darn good lenses are.. especially to that degree!!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes they have very similar ranges, and they are both nice cameras. I like smaller cameras personally now adays. Find that it suits my traveling better then a full size dslr. That was one of the reason the e620 was really appealing to me, but since I had a bunch of canon ef lenses, I went with the canon t1i over the e620. I think it is a very good camera.
Your still talking my language shoturtle... small is beautiful.. well certainly easier, and appealing.
The A330 and E620 are marginally different in size:5mm in most directions, and about 25 grammes in weight.
I could live with that....
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
actually it really does not matter if it is a lens motor or a body motor. Since the sony has an inbody motor. The lens motor only adds weight.
So not only does it have in body stabilisation, it has focus motors built in.
Hmmm, more decisions on the lens front! Aaarrrgh
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:48 PM   #29

The olympus has the best kit lines, both the 14-42 and 40-150 are excellent lenses, and are consider the best out of all the kit lenses from any entry level dslr maker out there. If lens quality is a big concern.

The sony lens are okay if you get the 18-55 and 55-200, the kit with the 75-300 is not as good. It is similar to what canon did with packaging the 1000D with the 18-55 and 75-300, give you range but degrades you quality.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:54 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
BTW, optically, the Sony 55-200 is identical to the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD, which is cheaper, lighter, and has a longer warranty. The Sony has its own autofocus motor.
Actually, it looks like the one Jessops is carrying does not have a focus motor built in from what I can see of it's description and photo there. The one with a focus motor is going to have SAM printed on it. Optically, I doubt there's any difference between the two versions of it that Sony has offered (with the SAM version being the newest).

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0068/show.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote