Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:08 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_sa View Post
On Jessops site they do a Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Lens for 169.
That covers me from Wide to Zoom in one lens... like my superzoom did. Are these any good?
Not really (an understatement). Anytime you have that much zoom range in a single lens, you're going to have some compromises in image quality (more distortion, corner softness, vignetting, etc.).

If you want to go with a single lens solution and are willing to compromise in the image quality area a bit in order to get the convenience of a single lens, I'd go with the Sony or Tamron 18-250mm instead. Despite having a bit more range on their longer end, these have higher optical quality compared to the Sony or Tamron 18-200mm lenses. But, you'll get better quality with a two lens kit instead.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:35 PM   #32

Quote:
I did mean the Sony 75-300 with the kit, but if the Tamron is better....
The Sony 75-300 isn't as good as the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.

And I agree with JimC about the 18-200. If you must get a single lens to do everything, the Tamron/Sony 18-250 is as good as it gets, but multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges will provide better image quality and may even cost less. That's a lot to pay for a little convenience.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The olympus has the best kit lines, both the 14-42 and 40-150 are excellent lenses, and are consider the best out of all the kit lenses from any entry level dslr maker out there. If lens quality is a big concern. .
Yes, i have read it time and time again... best kit lens on the market!
So for me, if I don't want to spend too much more money on getting better lenses then really its a no brainer!!
That said....
Quote:
The sony lens are okay if you get the 18-55 and 55-200, the kit with the 75-300 is not as good. It is similar to what canon did with packaging the 1000D with the 18-55 and 75-300, give you range but degrades you quality.
The Sony deal is now working out at 100 less for the Sony 18-55 and Sony 55-200 - but thats only until tomorrow whilst I can get Cashback!!

It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm being pushed into a corner to make the decision before the deals go... but really i need to kick myself - stop - deep breath - and make an informed decision based on everyones advice and opinions, and also what I think FEELS right in the hand!!
Buggar the deals... if they go they go... if it means saving a couple of months longer then thats the way it should be!!
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Not really (an understatement). Anytime you have that much zoom range in a single lens, you're going to have some compromises in image quality (more distortion, corner softness, vignetting, etc.).

If you want to go with a single lens solution and are willing to compromise in the image quality area a bit in order to get the convenience of a single lens, I'd go with the Sony or Tamron 18-250mm instead. Despite having a bit more range on their longer end, these have higher optical quality compared to the Sony or Tamron 18-200mm lenses. But, you'll get better quality with a two lens kit instead.
Having thought about it after writing, I came to the same conclusion as you have put... yeah one lens in a superzoom is fine, but I think two with a DSLR are better.
Especially as I will probably use the smaller one for what.. 75% of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony 75-300 isn't as good as the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.

And I agree with JimC about the 18-200. If you must get a single lens to do everything, the Tamron/Sony 18-250 is as good as it gets, but multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges will provide better image quality and may even cost less. That's a lot to pay for a little convenience.
As above - I'm starting to understand the logic of it all now.

I am pretty much decided on Sony or Oly.
I think the canon will be too big...
I just need to find a good comparison between the A330 and E620 to make sure I don't do away with something i wanted!!
At the moment the Sony is the more viable cost option...
339 for the single kit if i want to shell out as little as poss straight away... or 498 inc. second Sony 55-200 lens.
As opposed to 599 all in on the Oly.

Clocks ticking ... but as my previous post... do I let it tick away and take my time!! Sigh!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:32 AM   #35

As for the things you want to shoot, in low light, the Sony will perform better than the Olympus at higher ISO settings. The Sony also has a faster autofocus system which might be a factor in shooting your daughter's horseback riding, but shouldn't matter as much for your son's Taekwondo. What will be a factor for the Taekwondo is that you'll need large aperture medium telephoto lenses to shoot indoors with fast shutter speeds, and the selection of those for the Olympus is slim and expensive. While some of Sony's offerings in that area are also expensive, a Sony dSLR can take advantage of a greater selection of third party lenses to satisfy that requirement.

Since you've narrowed your choices down to the Sony and Olympus, I think the Sony would be a better choice.

BTW, what disipline does your daughter ride? Dressage? Cross-country? Barrel racing?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:52 PM   #36

Well, I went out and had a play this afternoon... not as long as I wanted... as our MD called an MMM last minute (Major Management Meeting).
I found a chap in one shop who was really helpful, and he was going through the 450D with me.. sadly not in depth enough due to time.. but he said please pop back and he'll gladly go through it more.
It was pretty good to hold and from what I saw would be good.

I then popped into Jessops on the way back to the car to look at the Sony.
Again it was nice to handle, not quite as much as the Canon now I think back, but still good. AF in live view was lightning, and better in VF.
The chap took two shots to show me the Noise issue i was worried about,,, 100 and 3200, he printed them out in 9x6 and they were pretty similar, it was only in a couple of areas that you could tell the 3200 one! The picture was of their black shelving to show how well the shadow and lowlights were handled.
It was pretty good.

Not sure now if I have done something silly.... I bought one!
At 330 after cashback it was a good price - the Wife said it was best to spend less now as I'm a learner....
I haven't opened the box so it could go back....
Why is it silly... I have just read on another thread that I wouldn't be happy with a Sony as they're not as good as Canons in lowlight....
I'm now reading loads on the net to try and justify my purchase.
Some good some bad... hell this is difficult.

Not sure what to do now.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:00 PM   #37

The 330 and 380 is just as good as the 450D or even a bit better since the 450D only goes to 1600iso, but it is not as good as the 500D. If you feel the ergo fits you right then it is the right camera, but if it does not feel as good as the canon, then return it. I have a 500D, I rarely go past 1600iso and my camera does 12800iso. The 450D has a bit better AF system, as canon has the best AF systems out there. It may be a concern for shooting sports and getting the action shots.

Have fun with your purchase.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:01 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:

Not sure what to do now.
forget all nitpicky pixel-peeping reviews. and go learn to shoot.. thats what you do now. and have fun doing it. post pics for review.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:18 PM   #39

Quote:
The 330 and 380 is just as good as the 450D or even a bit better since the 450D only goes to 1600iso, but it is not as good as the 500D. If you feel the ergo fits you right then it is the right camera, but if it does not feel as good as the canon, then return it.
I think it might just be because I "think" its not right and was rushed...

Quote:
I have a 500D, I rarely go past 1600iso and my camera does 12800iso. The 450D has a bit better AF system, as canon has the best AF systems out there. It may be a concern for shooting sports and getting the action shots.
One thing the guy in Jessops said which kind of swayed me Sony way as well was that the 450D had to be manually focused in Live View...
Now that I don't beleive...
But I would be interested to know your thoughts on the focusing in LV??

Quote:
Have fun with your purchase.
I'm sure I will.... if/when I open it up!!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
forget all nitpicky pixel-peeping reviews. and go learn to shoot.. thats what you do now. and have fun doing it. post pics for review.
You've learnt so much about me already...
Yeah, think you may be right... time to enjoy!!
And I guess I can as you say, post up on here and get input on my attempts!!

Thanks Hards80