Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:27 PM   #41
Administrator

If you want to use Live View (as your original posts indicated), the Sony models have the best implementation around for Autofocus Speed when using Live View. The Canon and Nikon models don't even come close.

As for General Autofocus speed using an Optical Viewfinder (which is the same speed with the Sony models you'll get using Live View), the Sony A330 is very good compared to higher priced Canon models like the T1i. See the AF test results on this page for an example discussing how it compared to the T1i/500D (which has faster AF compared to the 450D), and note that typical home lighting at night is around EV 5, much brighter than the lowest light being discussed in the tests there. This is the only site I'm aware of that tests AF in various lighting levels.

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...Sony-Alpha-330

As for higher ISO speed performance, the 450D doesn't go past ISO 1600. So, there's no advantage to it if you are shooting in low light. If you move up to the 500D (T1i), you can get a lower noise levels at higher ISO speeds compared to the A330. But, you don't get the Live View Autofocus performance you get with the A330.

On the other hand, if you move up to the Sony A500, image quality at higher ISO speeds will be every bit as good as the T1i, as the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor used in the A500 is pretty good (and note that models like the Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, D90, D300s and more also use a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor). You'd also have a faster frame rate with the A500 as compared to the Canon T1i/500D (as well as very fast Autofocus using Live View, which is something you don't get with the Canon and Nikon models)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_sa View Post
I think it might just be because I "think" its not right and was rushed...

One thing the guy in Jessops said which kind of swayed me Sony way as well was that the 450D had to be manually focused in Live View...
Now that I don't beleive...
But I would be interested to know your thoughts on the focusing in LV??

I'm sure I will.... if/when I open it up!!
I do not know about the 450D, but on the 500D. The live view can be focus by pushing the * button in live view. I you do go back to the shop with the canon you can check it out for yourself.

And yes getting rush into a purchase is not always a good thing. Get the one that is the most comfortable for you.

People on the board put way to much on the tech aspect of a camera. Even on auto iso my 500D rearly go pass 1600iso for hand head night shots, which I enjoy allot. And if I need a longer exposure. I use a tripod to get the starburst effect. Unless you are doing indoor sports allot. It is a moot point 1600iso vs 3200iso.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:46 PM   #43
Administrator

I probably take more photos at ISO 3200 than I do any other ISO speed (low light music, etc.). So, it all depends on what you shoot more often. ;-)

But, I'd probably stick to ISO 1600 using an A330 (only moving up to higher ISO speeds with a camera like the Sony A500 or equivalent).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:49 PM   #44

Jim,

Down by you the bars and clubs are very dark for indoor shooting,

And finally I am off to bed, I have shock my system enough not to have jetlag in the morning. Good nite all.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:54 PM   #45
Administrator

I actually found one that's not too bad down on River Street (one that actually had a bit of stage lighting for a change). I was getting shutter speeds of around 1/125 second at ISO 3200 and f/2.8 a few nights ago. But, the music was boring. :-)
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you want to use Live View (as your original posts indicated), the Sony models have the best implementation around for Autofocus Speed when using Live View. The Canon and Nikon models don't even come close.
You're right they don't. I was quite surprised though at the Canon in this area.. seemed to be quite clunky to get it to focus... well, at least the way the salesperson explained it - once he'd worked it out!!

Quote:
As for General Autofocus speed using an Optical Viewfinder (which is the same speed with the Sony models you'll get using Live View), the Sony A330 is very good compared to higher priced Canon models like the T1i. See the AF test results on this page for an example discussing how it compared to the T1i/500D (which has faster AF compared to the 450D), and note that typical home lighting at night is around EV 5, much brighter than the lowest light being discussed in the tests there. This is the only site I'm aware of that tests AF in various lighting levels.
Thats a good site... and I got the gist of what they were saying... although some of the jargon was over my head... but if I'm right, it seemed to be saying it performed admirably in AF and ISO for a cheap entry level, except they found it rather soft on finished photos. Which I'm starting to agree on after scouring the net for examples of ISO and IQ.

Quote:
As for higher ISO speed performance, the 450D doesn't go past ISO 1600. So, there's no advantage to it if you are shooting in low light. If you move up to the 500D (T1i), you can get a lower noise levels at higher ISO speeds compared to the A330. But, you don't get the Live View Autofocus performance you get with the A330.
So no advantages there then....

Quote:
On the other hand, if you move up to the Sony A500, image quality at higher ISO speeds will be every bit as good as the T1i, as the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor used in the A500 is pretty good (and note that models like the Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, D90, D300s and more also use a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor). You'd also have a faster frame rate with the A500 as compared to the Canon T1i/500D (as well as very fast Autofocus using Live View, which is something you don't get with the Canon and Nikon models)
Which I actually reserved online for collection at my local Jessops to have a perusal at but it never turned up!!
It's 150 more, but far better spec! Not sure 150 worth though... so I'd shop around.
Now reading that I may take it back and look for the A500/A550 elsewhere.
I thin
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:29 PM   #47

Quote:
I probably take more photos at ISO 3200 than I do any other ISO speed (low light music, etc.). So, it all depends on what you shoot more often. ;-)

But, I'd probably stick to ISO 1600 using an A330 (only moving up to higher ISO speeds with a camera like the Sony A500 or equivalent).
Says it again doesn't it... A500???
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I do not know about the 450D, but on the 500D. The live view can be focus by pushing the * button in live view. I you do go back to the shop with the canon you can check it out for yourself.
Really? He didn't show me that button.. but then TBH, to me, thats still seems en extra step too much.. I want the camera to do the work in Autofocus mode... only when I choose MF should I need to intervene...

Quote:
And yes getting rush into a purchase is not always a good thing. Get the one that is the most comfortable for you.
My fault I guess... but it was closing time and they were impressing on me that the offer ended today, knowing I couldn't get in today after telling them earlier.

Quote:
People on the board put way to much on the tech aspect of a camera. Even on auto iso my 500D rearly go pass 1600iso for hand head night shots, which I enjoy allot. And if I need a longer exposure. I use a tripod to get the starburst effect. Unless you are doing indoor sports allot. It is a moot point 1600iso vs 3200iso.
I think you're right... and I think I read too much, and pixel peep too much!!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:40 PM   #49
Administrator

Judging from your posts here. I'd get the Sony A500. it's a nice camera, and worth the small amount of price difference as compared to the less expensive camera models.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:03 PM   #50

Gagset,

The * button is not that hard to use. It is right in the upper right side of the camera. You just do not use the shutter button to focus. You just set up the shot on live view, the release the shutter.

But to be honest, as you use a dslr more and more, you will move away from live view and use the VF more and more. I only use the live view on my 500D for tripod work only. And since it is a set shot. I focus in on the subject and use the cable release to snap the photo. With hand held shot. I only use the VF.
But I really would take a better look at the 450D and others on the market, and find one the fits your ergo needs the best. You have a week to return the 330 if you decide that another camera fits your needs better. So it should not be an issue to keep looking around.

Just a note, the A500 is a larger camera then the A330 and 450D. It is better then both of the them also. And that is reflected in the price. So it come do to weather the extra ability is worth the added cost to you. If you have a budget, and do not want to go pass it, the smaller camera is the better bet. JMTC.